fryxar has discovered a vulnerability in various Symantec firewall products, which can be exploited by malicious people to poison the DNS cache.
When acting as a caching DNS server, the integrated DNS proxy (DNSd) trusts any answer received from a DNS server without checking that it actually corresponds to a query or is valid. This can be exploited to insert fake information in the DNS cache, which can be used to direct users to malicious web sites or just prevent them from accessing certain web sites.
The vulnerability affects the following products:
* Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series, v2.0
* Symantec Gateway Security 5300 Series, v1.0
* Symantec Enterprise Firewall, v7.0.x (Windows and Solaris)
* Symantec Enterprise Firewall v8.0 (Windows and Solaris)
* Symantec VelociRaptor, Model 1100/1200/1300
* Symantec VelociRaptor, Model 500/700/1000
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Symantec Various Firewall Products DNS Proxy Cache Poisoning Vulnerability
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.