Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Quake2 engine, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service), potentially execute arbitrary code, disclose sensitive information, conduct spoofing attacks, and corrupt server data for other clients.
1) An input validation error when handling "Configstrings" and "Baselines" in the connection process can be exploited to cause the server to crash by sending a specially crafted request with a negative offset.
2) A boundary error when parsing command packets can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow and potentially execute arbitrary code by sending a specially crafted UDP datagram.
3) An input validation error when requesting missing files such as maps from a server running Windows can be exploited to download sensitive files by supplying a specially crafted path.
4) An input validation error when requesting missing files from a server running Linux can be exploited to cause a server to exit by requesting a valid directory.
5) An error in the handling of userinfo from the client can be exploited to spoof the client's IP address by sending a specially crafted overly long userinfo, which gets truncated by the server.
6) A design weakness can be exploited to cause a server to stop accepting new clients by continuously sending multiple join requests.
The vulnerabilities have been reported in version 3.2.x of the released open source version. Other versions may also be affected.
Solution: Host only games on trusted networks.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1-5) Richard Stanway
6) Luigi Auriemma.
Original Advisory: http://secur1ty.net/advisories/001
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Quake2 Engine Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.