Some vulnerabilities have been reported in ekg contributed scripts and libgadu, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to perform certain actions with escalated privileges, or by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
1) Temporary files are created insecurely in "/tmp" by contrib/ekgnv.sh and contrib/getekg.sh, and in "/usr/tmp" by contrib/ekgh. This can be exploited via symlink attacks to create or overwrite arbitrary files with the privileges of the user executing a vulnerable script.
2) An error in contrib/scripts/ekgbot-pre1.py can potentially be exploited to inject shell commands.
3) Several signedness errors in libgadu can be exploited via specially crafted packets or by an application passing invalid input to the library.
4) Several memory alignment errors in libgadu when handling certain incoming messages can cause bus errors on architectures like SPARC. This can potentially be exploited to cause a DoS.
5) Various endianness errors in libgadu can be exploited to cause invalid behaviour of applications on big-endian architectures.
The vulnerabilities have been reported in version 1.6rc1. Other versions may also be affected.
Solution: The vulnerabilities have been fixed in version 1.6rc2.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1-2) Marcin Owsiany and Wojtek Kaniewski
3) Grzegorz JaAkiewicz
4) Szymon Zygmunt and Michal Bartoszkiewicz
5) Marcin Slusarz
Original Advisory: Debian:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com