Some vulnerabilities have been reported in Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh and Symantec LiveUpdate for Macintosh, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated privileges.
1) The suid "DiskMountNotify" component of Symantec Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh fails to set its execution path environment. This may be exploited by malicious users to execute arbitrary commands with System Administrative privileges by modifying the PATH environment variable to cause "DisMountNotify" to run "ps" or "grep" from a directory that the user controls.
The vulnerability has been reported in the following versions :
* version 9.0.0, 9.0.1
* version 9.0.2 (English, Japanese)
* version 9.0.2 Build 5 (French, German, Italian)
* version 9.0.3 (English, Japanese)
* version 10.0.0, 10.0.1
2) The LiveUpdate component uses the suid "/Library/Application Support/Norton Solutions Support/LiveUpdate/jlucaller" command-line application to interface with the Java interpreter. This interface application can be exploited by malicious users to execute arbitrary Java code with System Administrative privileges by passing it a Java program as command-line argument.
The vulnerability has been reported in the following products:
* LiveUpdate for Macintosh versions 3.0.0, 3.0.1 and 3.0.2
* LiveUpdate for Macintosh version 3.0.3 Build 5 (English)
* LiveUpdate for Macintosh version 3.0.3 Build 11, 3.5.0 Build 47
* Norton AntiVirus 9.0.x, 10.0.0, 10.0.1
* Norton Personal Firewall 3.0.x, 3.1.0
* Norton Internet Security 3.0.x
* Norton Utilities 8.0.x
* Norton SystemWorks 3.0.x
Solution: Update to the latest version via Live Update.
Provided and/or discovered by: Discovered by DigitalMunition.com and reported via iDEFENSE.
Original Advisory: Symantec:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Symantec Norton AntiVirus / LiveUpdate for Macintosh Privilege Escalation
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.