Some vulnerabilities have been reported within the Linux kernel, which can be exploited by malicious, local users and malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
1) An error within the "nlmclnt_mark_reclaim()" function in clntlock.c of the NFS lockd can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS by crashing the service.
2) The task switching implementation fails to save and restore EFLAGS of process correctly. This can be exploited by malicious, local users to crash applications and services by invoking a specially crafted executable.
3) An error within the lock handling of the "sys_get_robust_list()" and "sys_set_robust_list()" system calls for the SPARC and PowerPC platforms can be exploited by malicious, local users to e.g. consume all system resources, create unkillable processes, and render a system unrebootable.
4) Problems within the alignment exception handling on SPARC and PowerPC platforms can be exploited by malicious, local users to cause a kernel crash.
5) An error within the implementation of the squashfs file system can be exploited to cause a DoS by mounting a specially crafted squashfs image and performing a read operation on the mounted file system.
6) If UNIX extensions are enabled, certain smbfs mount options are ignored and a client silently mounts shares using the uid, gid and mode options from the server.
Solution: Restrict access to trusted users only.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1) Matthias Andree
3, 4) Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
6) Bill Allombert
Original Advisory: http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-395-1
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Linux Kernel Various Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.