Secunia Research has discovered a security issue in various eScan products, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated privileges or by malicious people to manipulate certain settings or gain knowledge of sensitive information.
The MicroWorld Agent service (MWAGENT.EXE) runs with SYSTEM privileges and accepts connections from anywhere without implementing an authentication scheme. This allows anyone to send arbitrary commands to the service (default port 2222/tcp) allowing the following:
1) An unprivileged, local user can gain SYSTEM privileges by sending a SCASYS, SCADRV, or SCAMEM command, which invokes the Anti-Virus scanner in a window with SYSTEM privileges. Through this, it is possible to execute any command with the privileges of the scanner via e.g. the "View Log" functionality.
2) It is possible to disable/enable the eScan Anti-Virus Monitor process via the DISMON and ENAMON commands.
3) An unprivileged, local user can uninstall the product via the UNISOFT command and clicking "Yes" on a window that pops up on the user's desktop.
4) It is possible to disclose the contents of arbitrary files on the system via the SEND command.
5) It is possible to enable/disable the "Restrictive Scanning" configuration setting via the SLOMOD ("High Security (Slow Mode)") and FASMOD ("Medium Security (Fast Mode)") commands.
6) It is possible to enable/disable the eScan "File Rights" configuration setting via the ENFRIG and DIFRIG commands.
7) It is possible to change the server status via the STASER and STOSER commands.
8) It is possible to configure the update server via the UPDSET command.
The security issue is confirmed in versions 8.0.671.1, 9.0.714.1, 9.0.715.1, and 9.0.718.1. Other versions may also be affected.
Solution: A stable version should be available shortly.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: eScan Products Agent Service Missing User Authentication
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.