A security issue has been reported in Intel Enterprise Southbridge 2 Baseboard Management Controller (BMC), which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass certain security restrictions.
The problem is that BMC for Intelligent Platform Management Interface commands can be accessed and utilized by tools that use Intelligent Platform Management Interface revision 1.5 for network access. This can e.g. be exploited by malicious people to connect to the server and issue a command, which may cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
Successful exploitation requires that Intelligent Platform Management Interface is enabled.
The security issue is reported in firmware version 56 and prior. The following products are reportedly affected:
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board S5000XAL & S5000PAL
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board S5000PSL
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board S5000XVN
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board S5000VCL
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board S5000VSA
* All SKUs of Intel Server Board SC5400RA
* OEM Firmware for Intel Enterprise Southbridge Baseboard Management Controller
Solution: Update to the latest firmware version.
Provided and/or discovered by: The vendor credits Keith Josephson, ION Computer Systems, Inc.
Original Advisory: Intel:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com