A vulnerability and a security issue have been reported in Nortel VPN Routers, which can be exploited by malicious people to bypass certain security restrictions or manipulate certain data.
1) Two default user accounts ("FIPSecryptedtest1219" and "FIPSunecryptedtest1219") are configured on the VPN Router, which are not readily visible to the system manager. These can be exploited to gain unauthorized access to the private network.
2) Missing authentication checks within two template files of the web management tool can be exploited to e.g. modify certain router configurations.
An issue regarding same DES keys used to encrypt user's passwords has also been reported, which can facilitate brute-force attacks on user's passwords if the attacker were to gain access to the LDAP store.
The vulnerability and security issue reportedly affect the following products:
* Contivity 1000 VPN Switch
* Contivity 2000 VPN Switch
* Contivity 4000 VPN Switch
* VPN Router 5000
*VPN Router Portfolio
Solution: Update to versions 6_05.140, 5_05.304, or 5_05.149.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Nortel VPN Router Default User Accounts and Missing Authentication Checks
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.