A vulnerability and a security issue have been reported in various Symantec products, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to disclose sensitive information, cause a DoS (Denial of Service), and gain escalated privileges.
1) Scheduled backups to remote network shares save login credentials for remote shares in the application directory with insecure permissions (read access for everyone).
2) An error within the Norton Ghost Service Manager can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow, which can lead to a DoS or execution of arbitrary code with SYSTEM privileges.
Successful exploitation for #2 requires tasking privileges for the Norton Ghost Service Manager.
The vulnerability and the security issue are reported in the following products and versions:
* Norton Ghost 10.0 and 10.01
* Norton Ghost for Norton System Works 10.0
* Norton Ghost for Dell 10.0
* Norton Save & Recovery 11.0, 11.01, and 11.01B
* Norton Save & Recovery for Norton System Works 2007 1.01B
* Norton Save & Recovery Sony Euro 1.01
* LiveState Recovery 6.0, 6.01, and 6.02
* BackupExec System Recovery 6.5, 6.52, 6.52A, and 6.53
Solution: Update to the latest version via LiveUpdate.
Provided and/or discovered by: Discovered by Pravus and reported via iDefense Labs.
Original Advisory: Symantec:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Symantec Products Information Disclosure and Buffer Overflow
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.