Various security issues and a vulnerability have been reported in MySQL, which can be exploited by malicious users to gain escalated privileges, bypass certain security restrictions and cause a DoS (Denial of Service) or malicious people to cause a DoS.
1) The problem is that it is possible for a user to rename a table without having DROP privileges.
The security issue has been reported in version 4.1 and 5.0.
2) The problem is that stored routines defined with SQL SECURITY INVOKER do not change back privileges when returning and can be invoked by users to gain escalated privileges.
The security issue has been reported in version 5.0.40.
3) An unspecified vulnerability within the handling of password packets in the connection protocol can be exploited to crash the server.
4) The mysql_update() and mysql_test_update() functions do not correctly check the privileges of views. This can be exploited to gain certain privileges for tables of other databases.
The security issue is reported in version 5.0.38 and 5.1.
5) The "CREATE TABLE LIKE" command did not correctly check the privileges for the source table and does not correctly implement table locking. This can be exploited to bypass certain security restrictions or potentially crash the service.
The security issue is reported in versions 5.0 and 5.1.
Solution: Update to MySQL Enterprise version 4.1.23 and 5.0.44 and MySQL Community Server 5.0.45.
Provided and/or discovered by: Reported via a bug report by:
1) Victoria Reznichenko
2) Alexander Nozdrin
4) Phil Anderton
5) Andrei Elkin and maybe an unknown person
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: MySQL Denial of Service Vulnerability and Multiple Security Issues
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.