A vulnerability has been reported in Symantec Backup Exec, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service) and potentially compromise a vulnerable system.
The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error within the handling of input sent to an RPC interface. This can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow by sending specially crafted requests using the "ncacn_ip_tcp" protocol to default port 6106/TCP.
Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.
The vulnerability is reported in the following versions:
* Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 10.0 build 10.0.5484
* Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 10.0 build 10.0.5520
* Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 10d build 10.1.5629
* Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 11d build 11.0.6235
* Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 11d build 11.0.7170
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org