A vulnerability has been reported in various Symantec products, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated privileges.
Insufficient address space verification within the 0x83022323 IOCTL handler in SYMTDI.SYS can be exploited to overwrite arbitrary memory and execute code with kernel privileges via specially crafted IRP parameters passed to the affected IOCTL handler.
The vulnerability is reported in SYMTDI.SYS versions prior to 7.0.0 and affects the following products:
* Norton AntiSpam 2005
* Norton AntiVirus 2005/2006
* Norton Internet Security 2005/2006
* Norton Personal Firewall 2005/2006
* Norton System Works 2005/2006
* Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.x
* Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0/10.1
* Symantec Client Security 2.0/3.0/3.1
Solution: Apply updates or run LiveUpdate. Please see the vendor's advisory for details.
Provided and/or discovered by: Zohiartze Herce, reported via iDefense Labs.
Original Advisory: Symantec:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com