Some vulnerabilities have been reported in multiple Cisco products, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
1) Certain Cisco Wireless Lan Controllers (WLCs) do not correctly handle unicast ARP requests from MAC addresses that are unknown to the Layer-2 infrastructure, causing a second WLC to incorrectly re-forward the ARP request back into the network.
Successful exploitation allows to cause a DoS due to heavy network traffic, but requires that two WLCs are attached to the same set of Layer-2 VLANs and each have a context for the wireless client, e.g. if a guest WLAN (auto-anchor) is used or after a Layer-3 (cross-subnet) roam.
2) Broadcast ARP packets for the IP address of a known client context are not correctly handled and re-forwarded into the network.
Successful exploitation allows to cause a DoS due to heavy network traffic, but requires that more than 1 WLC is installed for the corresponding network and that the arpunicast feature is enabled.
Note: This affects version 4.1 only.
3) In certain Layer-3 (L3) roaming scenarios (e.g. when wireless clients move from one controller to another and the wireless LAN interfaces are configured on different controllers which are on different IP subnets), a foreign controller may send a unicast ARP request out to a local VLAN.
The vulnerabilities are reported in software versions 4.1, 4.0, 3.2, and prior in for the following products:
* Cisco 4100 Series Wireless LAN Controllers
* Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controllers
* Cisco Airespace 4000 Series Wireless LAN Controller
* Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Wireless Services Module (WiSM)
* Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Integrated Wireless LAN Controllers
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Cisco Multiple Products Wireless ARP Requests Denial of Service
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.