Tomasz Kuczynski has reported some vulnerabilities in Liferay Portal, which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct cross-site request forgery and phishing attacks, and by malicious users to conduct script insertion attacks.
1) Input passed to the shutdown message is not properly sanitised before being stored. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session in context of an affected site at server shutdown.
2) Input passed via the user profile "Greeting" parameter is not properly sanitised before being stored. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser session when a user logs in.
3) Input passed via the HTTP User-Agent header is not properly sanitised before being stored. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in an administrators browser session in context of an affected site when information about the currently open sessions is being viewed.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerabilities requires valid user credentials.
4) The vulnerability is caused due to an error within the "Forgot Password" feature when sending emails. This can be exploited to inject content into emails sent by the application via the User-Agent HTTP header.
Successful exploitation requires knowledge of a valid email address registered with the application.
5) The vulnerability is caused due to the application allowing users to perform certain actions via HTTP requests without performing any validity checks to verify the request. This can be exploited to perform restricted actions by enticing a logged-in administrator to visit a malicious site.
The vulnerabilities are reported in versions prior to 4.4.0.
Solution: Update to version 4.4.0. Some vulnerabilities are also fixed in version 4.3.7 (see vendor links for further details).
Provided and/or discovered by: US-CERT credits Tomasz Kuczynski.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Liferay Portal Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.