Krystian Kloskowski has reported a vulnerability in CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup for Laptops & Desktops, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.
The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error in the "AddColumn()" method within the "ListCtrl" ActiveX control (ListCtrl.ocx), which can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow via an overly long argument passed to the affected method.
Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code e.g. when a user visits a malicious web page.
The vulnerability is reported in the following products:
* BrightStor ARCServe Backup for Laptops and Desktops r11.5
* CA Desktop Management Suite r11.2 C1
* CA Desktop Management Suite r11.2a
* CA Desktop Management Suite r11.2
* CA Desktop Management Suite r11.1 (GA, a, C1)
* Unicenter Desktop Management Bundle r11.2 C1
* Unicenter Desktop Management Bundle r11.2a
* Unicenter Desktop Management Bundle r11.2
* Unicenter Desktop Management Bundle r11.1 (GA, a, C1)
* Unicenter Asset Management r11.2 C1
* Unicenter Asset Management r11.2a
* Unicenter Asset Management r11.2
* Unicenter Asset Management r11.1 (GA, a, C1)
* Unicenter Software Delivery r11.2 C1
* Unicenter Software Delivery r11.2a
* Unicenter Software Delivery r11.2
* Unicenter Software Delivery r11.1 (GA, a, C1)
* Unicenter Remote Control r11.2 C1
* Unicenter Remote Control r11.2a
* Unicenter Remote Control r11.2
* Unicenter Remote Control r11.1 (GA, a, C1)
NOTE: Only the server installation of BrightStor ARCserve Backup for Laptops & Desktops is affected. For CA Desktop Management Suite, Unicenter Desktop Management Bundle, Unicenter Asset Management, Unicenter Software Delivery and Unicenter Remote Control, only the Managers and DSM Explorers are affected. Scalability Servers and Agents are not affected.
Solution: Apply updates. Please see vendor advisory for details.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup "ListCtrl" ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.