VMware has acknowledged some vulnerabilities in VMware Server, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to gain escalated privileges and by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service) and potentially compromise a user's system.
1) Various vulnerabilities are caused due to unspecified errors within certain ActiveX controls. These can be exploited to e.g. execute arbitrary code by tricking a user into visiting a malicious website.
2) An unspecified error when processing malformed requests exists within the ISAPI Extension. This can be exploited to cause a DoS by sending specially crafted requests to a vulnerable system.
3) An unspecified error related to "OpenProcess" can be exploited by malicious, local users on a host system to gain escalated privileges on the host system.
4) Some vulnerabilities in freetype can potentially be exploited by malicious people to compromise an application using the library.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1) The vendor credits Julien Bachmann, Shennan Wang, Shinnai, and Michal Bucko
2) The vendor credits Juniper Networks J-Security Security Research Team
3) The vendor credits Sun Bing, McAffee
5) The vendor credits Derek Soeder.
Original Advisory: VMware:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: VMware Server Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.