RedTeam Pentesting has reported some weaknesses and vulnerabilities in Geo++ GNCASTER, which can be exploited by malicious users to cause a DoS (Denial of Service) and potentially compromise a vulnerable system, and by malicious people to disclose potentially sensitive information, bypass certain security restrictions, cause a DoS, and potentially compromise a vulnerable system.
1) An error within the processing of certain overly long "HTTP GET" requests can be exploited to e.g. crash the server and potentially execute arbitrary code.
2) An error within the processing of certain overly long NMEA-data sentences can be exploited to e.g. crash the server and potentially execute arbitrary code.
Successful exploitation requires valid user credentials.
3) The server allows the HTTP Basic authentication method to access "admin.htm" although it should only allow it the HTTP Digest authentication method.
4) The server does not regenerate the nonce used during HTTP Digest authentication, which can be exploited to e.g. conduct replay attacks.
5) The server leaks 32 bytes of memory in case of a failed authentication, which can be exploited to disclose potentially sensitive information (e.g. authentication headers of other users).
The vulnerabilities and weaknesses are reported in version 184.108.40.206. Prior versions may also be affected.
Solution: Update to version 220.127.116.11.
Provided and/or discovered by: RedTeam Pentesting
Original Advisory: 1) http://www.redteam-pentesting.de/en/advisories/rt-sa-2010-001/-geo-r-gncaster-insecure-handling-of-long-urls
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Geo++ GNCASTER Multiple Weaknesses and Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.