Two vulnerabilities have been reported in multiple VMware products, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to potentially gain escalated privileges, and by malicious people to compromise a vulnerable system.
1) An error related to the unsafe loading of libraries exists in the VMware Tools package for Windows. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary code on a guest system by tricking a user into clicking a file placed on a network share.
2) An error in the VMware Tools package for Windows can be exploited to potentially gain escalated privileges by placing a malicious executable in a certain location inside a guest operating system.
NOTE: This vulnerability cannot be exploited without administrative privileges on recent Windows versions (e.g. Windows XP and Windows Vista).
The vulnerabilities are reported in the following products and versions:
* VMware ESXi versions 3.5 and 4.0
* VMware ESX Server versions 2.5.5, 3.0.3, 3.5, and 4.0
* VMware Server 2.x
Solution: Apply patches and update VMware Tools in guest operating systems. Please see the vendor's advisory for more information.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1) Jure Skofic and Mitja Kolsek of ACROS Security
2) Mitja Kolsek of ACROS Security
Original Advisory: VMSA-2010-0007:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: VMware Products VMware Tools Two Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.