Some vulnerabilities have been reported in LibTIFF, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of Service).
1) An error within the "putcontig8bitYCbCr12tile()" function in libtiff/tif_getimage.c can be exploited to cause a crash when trying to flip an image vertically on 64-bit platforms.
2) An error within the "TIFFYCbCrtoRGB()" function in libtiff/tif_color.c when processing invalid ReferenceBlackWhite values can be exploited to cause a crash.
3) An assertion error within the "OJPEGPostDecode()" function in libtiff/tif_ojpeg.c can be exploited to terminate an application using the library.
4) The "TIFFNewScanlineSize()", "TIFFScanlineSize()", and "TIFFVStripSize()" functions in libtiff/tif_strip.c call the "TIFFGetField()" without properly checking the return value, which can potentially be exploited to e.g. cause a crash.
5) The library does not properly handle images with "SamplesPerPixel" set to "1" and "Photometric" set to "YCbCr", which can be exploited to cause a crash.
6) Errors when handling TIFF images with undefined strip byte counts can be exploited to cause a crash.
Solution: Update to version 3.9.5.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1-4, 6) Reported in e.g. Red Hat bug #583081 or #603024
5) Sauli Pahlman
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: LibTIFF Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.