Some vulnerabilities have been reported in the Linux Kernel, which can be exploited by malicious, local users to cause a DoS (Denial of Service), conduct session hijacking attacks, or disclose sensitive information.
1) Signedness errors within the "rose_bind()" and "rose_connect()" functions in net/rose/af_rose.c can be exploited to bypass boundary checks and e.g. cause a memory corruption via the "rose_getname()" function.
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may require that a ROSE device is present.
2) An input validation error in "pkt_find_dev_from_minor()" in drivers/block/pktcdvd.c can be exploited to trigger an out-of-bounds read and disclose arbitrary kernel memory or cause a crash.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability requires permissions to open "/dev/pktcdvd/control".
3) The "snd_hdsp_hwdep_ioctl()" function in sound/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c, the "snd_hdspm_hwdep_ioctl()" function in sound/pci/rme9652/hdspm.c, and the "sisfb_ioctl()" function in drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c are not properly initializing all members of certain structures before copying them to userspace, which can be exploited to disclose kernel stack memory by sending certain IOCTLs.
4) The "ethtool_get_rxnfc()" function in net/core/ethtool.c does not properly clear kernel heap memory, which can be exploited to disclose potentially sensitive information.
5) An error within the handling of CIFS sessions can be exploited to e.g. hijack another user's CIFS session.
Solution: Update to version 2.6.36.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1, 2, 3) Dan Rosenberg
4) Kees Cook
5) Disclosed in GIT commits.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Linux Kernel Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.