Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Shockwave Player, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.
1) An array-indexing error in the handling of a certain record value in a "rcsL" chunk can be exploited to use an arbitrary dword in memory as a function pointer via a specially crafted Director file.
NOTE: This vulnerability is currently being actively exploited.
2) Missing validation of the size and number of sub-chunks inside a "pamm" chunk can be exploited via a specially crafted Director file to corrupt memory outside the bounds of the buffer allocated for the "pamm" data during the initial parsing of the sub-chunks.
3) A logic error in TextXtra.x32 when parsing "DEMX" chunk content can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow via a specially crafted Director file.
4) An error in dirapi.dll when parsing strings with a one-byte size prefix of 0xFF inside "Lnam" chunks can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow.
5) Insufficient validation in dirapi.dll when parsing certain fields in "pamm" chunks can be exploited to corrupt memory via a specially crafted Director file.
6) An unspecified error in dirapi.dll can be exploited to corrupt memory.
7) An error in dirapi.dll when parsing "pamm" chunk element sizes can be exploited to corrupt memory.
8) An error in IML32.dll when parsing "VSWV" entries with invalid lengths inside "pamm" chunks can be exploited to corrupt memory.
9) An error in dirapi.dll when parsing duplicate references to the same "KEY*" chunk can be exploited to corrupt memory.
10) An error in IML32.dll when parsing duplicate "LCSM" entries can be exploited to corrupt memory.
11) Missing validation of certain size fields within a substructure when handling 3D records of type 0xFFFFFF89 can be exploited to corrupt memory.
Successful exploitation of the vulnerabilities may allow execution of arbitrary code.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1) Abysssec
2,3) Carsten Eiram, Secunia Research.
4) binaryproof, Aniway, and an anonymous person via ZDI.
5) Junaid Bohio, TELUS Security Labs.
6) The vendor credits Honggang Ren, Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs.
7-10) Michael Golub
11) An anonymous person via ZDI.
Original Advisory: Adobe:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: Adobe Shockwave Player Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.