Parvez Anwar has discovered some vulnerabilities in PDF-Pro, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.
1) The application loads libraries (e.g. dwmapi.dll) in an insecure manner, which can be exploited to load arbitrary libraries by tricking a user into e.g. opening a PDF file located on a remote WebDAV or SMB share.
2) A boundary error in the bundled PDF Reader ActiveX control (ePapyrusReader.ocx) when handling arguments passed to the "open()" method can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow.
3) Two boundary errors in ePapyrusReader.ocx when handling arguments passed to the "open_stream()" method can be exploited to cause heap-based buffer overflows.
4) A use-after-free error in ePapyrusReader.ocx when handling arguments passed to the "open_stream()" method can be exploited to dereference already freed memory.
5) A use-after-free error in ePapyrusReader.ocx when encountering corrupted arrays in a dictionary can be exploited to dereference already freed memory via a specially crafted PDF file.
6) The unsafe "RemoveFile()" method provided by ePapyrusReader.ocx allows deleting arbitrary files on a user's system.
7) The unsafe "DownloadFTP()" method in combination with the "SetFTPInfo()" method provided by ePapyrusReader.ocx allows downloading arbitrary files to a user's system.
8) The unsafe "UploadFTP" method in combination with the "SetFTPInfo()" method provided by ePapyrusReader.ocx allows retrieving arbitrary files from a user's system.
The vulnerabilities are confirmed in version 184.108.40.2068 bundling ePapyrusReader.ocx version 220.127.116.114. Most of the vulnerabilities are also confirmed in version 18.104.22.1681 bundling ePapyrusReader.ocx version 22.214.171.12412. Other versions may also be affected.
Solution: Set the kill-bit for the affected ActiveX control and do not open untrusted PDF files.
Provided and/or discovered by: Parvez Anwar via Secunia.
Additional information provided by Secunia Research.
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: PDF-Pro Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.