Some vulnerabilities have been reported in LibTIFF, which can be exploited by malicious people to potentially compromise an application using the library.
1) A boundary error within the "EXPAND2D()" macro in libtiff/tif_fax3.h when decoding CCITT Group 4 compressed TIFF images can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow via specially crafted TIFF images.
Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.
2) A boundary error within the ThunderScan decoder when processing images with an incorrect number of bitspersample can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow via specially crafted ThunderScan encoded files.
3) An error within the handling of certain TIFF files can be exploited to cause a memory corruption by tricking a user into opening a specially crafted TIFF file.
4) An error within the "OJPEGReadHeaderInfoSecStreamSof()" function in libtiff/tif_ojpeg.c can be exploited to cause a memory corruption by tricking a user into opening a specially crafted TIFF file.
5) An integer overflow error exists within the "tiffdump" utility, which can be exploited by e.g. tricking a user into opening a specially crafted TIFF file containing a directory with a large item count.
Solution: Update to version 3.9.5.
Provided and/or discovered by: 1) Apple Product Security
2) Martin Barbella via ZDI
3) Tom Lane and Robert Swiecki
4) Tavis Ormandy
5) Tom Lane
Original Advisory: APPLE-SA-2011-03-02-1:
Do you have additional information related to this advisory?
Please provide information about patches, mitigating factors, new versions, exploits, faulty patches, links, and other relevant data by posting comments to this Advisory. You can also send this
information to email@example.com
Subject: LibTIFF Multiple Vulnerabilities
No posts yet
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Secunia Customer Login
Not a customer already?
Learn more about how our market leading Vulnerability Management solutions can help you manage risk and ensure compliance.