Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome patch 99%

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jckinnick Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 8th Jul, 2011 03:14
Ranking: 5
User Since: 21st May, 2010
System Score: N/A
When i click on the install solution it just takes me to the google chrome web browser download page. I already have the latest version of chrome i need the patch. Do i just delete the old version in the file path?

chrsgyle7 RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 8th Jul, 2011 08:18
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Jul 2011
It is confusing to me. What are you want's to know?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
dominiq32 RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 9th Jul, 2011 01:39
User Since: 9th Jul 2011
It should give you the option to repair/uninstall when you run the windows installer, no?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jckinnick RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 9th Jul, 2011 11:26
Score: 5
User Since: 21st May 2010
PSI gives you the "install solution" option but it does nothing but take me to Google Chrome web browser download page.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 9th Jul, 2011 15:53
Last edited on 9th Jul, 2011 15:55 This is what I've found regarding Secunia PSI & Google Chrome

1) Ignore Secunia's "Install Solution" (Chrome only)
2) Open Chrome, click the wrench, then "About Google Chrome"
a. Chrome will check for updates
b. Report the current version (it updates automatically).
3) To stop Secunia from reporting the old version
It is safe to delete the folder containing the old version(s) from your User Profile (for Vista & Windows 7, C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\ Application\ )

I hope this helps.
GCF
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2011 16:12
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi to all ,

Thanks for your post MadMonk ; here is some extra info I have posted elsewhere on the topic which may fill in a bit more concerning the PSI display , but basically , the advice is to always delete the old version file :-

You do not need to reinstall if you do not wish to ; the Chrome internal/silent updates always leave the previous version behind ; it will display as a "zombie" file as an "insecure" or "EOL" version depending on it's actual status . Here is a copy of one of my posts :-

QUOTE :
1) EOL : this is the PSI's way of displaying the old platform when there is a platform change :ie: 11.x to 12.x has just occurred and 11.x versions show as EOl .

2)Manual update : In the past if you run a manual update with a downloaded installer , the older versions of the same platform are all removed and you just have the new one .

3)Auto silent update or update initiated via the "spanner *About* link" : this leaves the previous version behind ; if it is not a security update you will see the old version as a "zombie" file , but a "security" update will likely display the "insecure" version at the top of the scan results page . At platform change , the old platform's "last" version is eventually left behind "permanently" and displays as EOL .

4)Channel change : only one Channel per user for the Stable , Beta and Dev versions so changing channels removes all the other channel versions . Canary is allowed to be installed alongside .

5)Old_exe and older version files : I have only just come across this (old_exe) and since my post above , in my Canary directory I now have no old_exe version as a new_exe version has taken it's place , but I still have two .exe files . Dev still has just the one*** . In the past , any older .exe file versions would/will still only load the latest browser installed ; this is the case for my Canary installation . This would concur with the info from Google that the old version folder and it's .dlls are "technically" disabled ; so leaving the old .exe version behind would follow Google logic as we know it .

6)False positive : the PSI displays whatever it can see , find and get it's hands on ; whether the "insecure" findings are a "real" security risk depends .... ; hence zombie files and EOL platforms , etc . UNQUOTE

To remove the old version files , click the [+] to the lhs of the old version display , click the yellowish folder icon without the red blob found to the left end of detected instance ; this will show you (in Explorer) the old version folder numbered and blue highlighted , right click and delete .

Hope that helps .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 9th Jul, 2011 18:09
Anthony, thank you for the additional information. I just have one note to add. I am unable to open Explorer from the Secunia interface as you describe in your last paragraph. Secunia runs with Administrator privileges. I use my computer as a limited user as Microsoft and most "experts" suggest. In Vista I can't run Explorer as another user so nothing happens when I click the folder in Secunia. The same thing happens if I try to run Explorer directly by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator".

However, I have no problem if I open Explorer normally (I usually just use WIN+E) and delete the folder.

Gerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Expert Contributor 9th Jul, 2011 18:37
Score: 2428
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi Gerry ,

I use XP SP3 and so do not have the the means to check , but AFAIK , PSI version 2.0 was designed to resolve Admin Account security conflict/controls*** , in that , with Vista/W7 , if you right click the PSI tray icon you get the option to run the PSI in Admin mode and to use the full facilities and thus open folders , delete files and run/download (auto)updates . Perhaps your particular UAC settings are preventing this .

***ie : the PSI loads as a service with the psia.exe , sua.exe and psi_tray.exe processes set to auto run on boot , but the psi.exe only loads from the tray icon , from the Program Files folder or All Programmes and under Admin privileges .

Not being technically minded , hopefully , someone else might drop in to clarify your situation .

take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
joshone RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 10th Jul, 2011 20:39
Score: -2
User Since: 5th Jul 2011
Last edited on 10th Jul, 2011 20:40
Anthony, thank you for the clarification as I was having a similar issue. Honestly, I am still not a huge fan of Chrome and it just seems that other then Google search and maps, all their products seem glitchy at best.

--
As a manger at a money management firm I help manage my clients portfolios and am dedicated to supporting their retirement needs.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
martinebelisle RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
Member 11th Jul, 2011 17:42
User Since: 11th Jul 2011
Thanks for the help Anthony. I had the same problem. :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Jul, 2011 18:34
Anthony,

PSI 2.0 does handle Windows UAC much better than the older versions and runs as you describe. However there's still one little hiccup. When I click the PSI icon in the tray UAC still asks for Administrator credentials before launching, so it is running as Administrator.

Thanks,

Gerry
Was this reply relevant?
+0

olimorphet3

RE: Google Chrome patch 99%
[+]
This reply has been deleted

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability