Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Service won't start so won't scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JLeslie Service won't start so won't scan
Member 14th Jul, 2011 00:27
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Nov, 2010
System Score: N/A
PC is running Windows XP SP3. 1 month ago PSI quit scanning and the icon is red. The agent service is stopped and when I try to start it I get a 1053 error. And it generated 7000 and 7009 errors in the Windows Event Log. I have PSI running on all my home PCs running a variety of Windows versions and they all work fine except this one.

This PC runs Online Armor for a firewall and I checked and it is allowing the program to run which is not surprising since it was running fine till 1 month ago. Antivirus is handled by MS Security Essentials which is not interfering with it.

I've looked this up on the interent but haven't found anything helpful. Anyone have any ideas on why the service can no longer start so that it will scan?

BTW, the program does start up and connect to the internet. It just won't do anything else.

JL

puget1 RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Member 14th Jul, 2011 04:51
Score: 0
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 14th Jul, 2011 05:10
@

Can you please confirm that you have checked those items in :-
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal... ?

Particularly the following applicable to XP ?

If this has still not allowed you to open the PSI, please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and ensure that both the 'Secunia PSI Agent' and 'Secunia Update Agent' services are set to 'Started' under status and 'Automatic' under 'Startup type'

If that did not resolve the problem either, and you are using Windows XP, try these steps:

1) Go to where you installed the PSI (Probably C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI, or C:\Program Files (x86) for 64-bit systems), right-click PSI.exe, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services for this program'

If that did not resolve the issue, then you can try

2) Go to Control Panel > Regional and language options > Languages Tab > Details > Advanced. From here, set a check at 'Turn off advanced text services' (Please note that this is a global setting unlike what is described in step 2).

Have you checked that your firewall permissions are configured to allow Secunia ?
Other than that, I would suggest that it is a matter of reading through the forum threads....XP users in particular have found other resolutions for their issues.

Check this thread for info onSecurity Essentials::
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/729...

--
Windows Home Basic-Service Pack 2
Dell AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz 2Memory 32 Bit

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
JLeslie RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Member 14th Jul, 2011 06:49
User Since: 18th Nov 2010
I went to the link you posted but I do not see any items to check so I can't speak for that. The page at the link is simply the download page.

As for the next step, as I already stated in my original inquiry, the Secunia PSI Agent service is not started (set to Automatic) and will not start. I did not see a Secunia Update Agent service and do not see it on any other PC I use.

I will try the rest of your steps tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is.

JL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Jul, 2011 16:08

This is what I needed you to check on the 1st link so here re-verify
You need to ensure you are running the lates version on Microsoft Update.
Please also verify that you 've added “ http://*secunia.com and https://*secunia.com” to your trusted zones in Internet Explorer.. This can be confiqured from Tools>Internet Options>Security>Trusted Sites>Sites. You will need to uncheck “Require server verification(https) for all sites in this zone” before adding http://*secunia.com
Secunia PSI uses this engine to run. So, you must confiqure accordingly.

--

Firefox 27+ - MS Security Essentials+Spybot-Spyware Blaster-Malwarebytes-Emsisoft Malware- Sandboxie

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
JLeslie RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Member 15th Jul, 2011 00:11
User Since: 18th Nov 2010
Well I followed all of your suggestions and nothing works.

PSI UI does start (as it always has) though it takes longer than on other PCs. And there are no errors. But since the Secunia PSI Agent service won't start, PSI won't scan and do what it's supposed to do.

I've run into the situation before where PSI didn't want to connect to "home" but that was an outside internet problem which cleared up without my intervention. And I've had a problem where PSI would not run, but uninstalling and reinstalling always fixed that.

This is a first for the Secunia PSI Agent service being unable to start. It seems to be able to talk to the Secunia servers okay, it just won't run the service to do the scanning.

I am really stumped by this.

JL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jul, 2011 03:04
@JLeslie

I got it from support but it worked for me,
it is a bit complex so you need to be careful so you get it right if you have problems let me know and if it solved your problem let us know: here goes,
first you need to go to the command prompt (click start then type cmd in the search window, then type or copy and paste paste it with a right click IN the blackbox exactly as it is typed: Mark and copy the next line:
cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Secunia\PSI"

then right click inside the black box and choose "Paste"

ok after you have done that type and again exactly as it is here:

Psia -r and then hit enter

then type:
Psia -i and hit enter again

ok now,

Then there should come up a box that asks for your password, type in the
password and hit enter - please be aware that you can't see that you type
anything and that this wont work if you have an empty password.

please note this is a user account password that you use.
then close that out and open secunia and see if it is scanning if not try it again and see if it works

Don't forget to run Command prompt as admistrator

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Expert Contributor 15th Jul, 2011 13:06
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi puget 1 ,

The link in your first post is to the general PSI (download) page ; I think that the FAQ page here (and found in the left hand column of the webpage you link to) is more informative/helpful and in particular , this item :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mrelliott RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Member 15th Jul, 2011 15:30
User Since: 15th Jul 2011
@puget1

May I suggest that once the password has been entered in cmd, type the following:

psi.exe

When I tried running PSI from my desktop, it didn't run properly, but once I had done the above, it was spot on

That may just be the case on my Win7 though
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jul, 2011 18:19
Last edited on 15th Jul, 2011 23:29
@Anthony Wells
mrelliott

Thank-you not sure where we are at this time or if your suggestions have been forwarded at this time, Appears I have a sticklier.

@JLeslie
Please answer the following: when you installed PSI2.0 did you do a clean install of 2.0 or did you do a overwrite from 1.5.0.2 allowing the installer to do the install? Please check the following: please try opening Internet Explorer, then go to Tools->Internet Options->Advanced->Security->Check for server certificate revocation.

The Secunia SSL certificate is signed by Thawte. If the Thawte site is not accessible from the computer, and if this option is selected, then the PSI will fail to connect to our site. So please remove the check at “Check for server certificate revocation". However, please understand that this means your computer would not notice if a site publisher revoked his/her certificate, which could indicate a theft or loss.

Hope this will work

The next move: Remove PSI 2.0 and do a clean install of PSI 1.5.0.2 from Secunia down load center(older version). Upgrade to newer version thru old interface is the next move! Do NOT remove 1.5.0.2 but down load PSI 2.0 directly from Secunia site. OVERWRITE 1.5.0.2 allowing PSI installer to do the work. Be sure that you have returned to all of your old settings, for apps and antivirus first and do not change, prior to download of PSI 2.0. Hope this works and luck

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Bundaburra RE: Service won't start so won't scan
Member 17th Jul, 2011 09:23
User Since: 18th Feb 2008
System Score: 100%
System event 7000 says that the service failed to start because of a logon failure. (See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357 ).

The Secunia PSI Agent service uses (on my system) the program "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\PSIA.exe" . At a wild guess, it could be that you don't have access to this program. Are you running the PSI with admin privileges, or with reduced rights?

Find this program in Windows Explorer, right-click and select "properties", then open the Security tab and check that both yourself and the System user are allowed "Full Control".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Jul, 2011 18:51
Last edited on 18th Jul, 2011 14:33
@bundaburra

Bravo,valissimo that is 100% correct it is so stated in the PSI FAQ. This is a tack in the wind that has not arised before as a poss. fix. Install update from Microsoft and proceed according to PSI F.A.Q. for XP/ Bravo

--

IE 9-seldom

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability