Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Mcd73165 Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Member 8th Aug, 2011 16:32
Ranking: 7
User Since: 13th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
I previously posted about this problem but a reason or solution to the problem was never stated. I thought someone at Secunia might have a possible answer. If PSI finds additional installed programs that it missed in previous scans, it shows the total number of programs in the PSI system tray pop-up message but doesn't show what programs they are as in version 1.5. The same holds true if it finds programs that were removed. This is not a major deal to me but rather an annoyance. Under Settings I have a checkmark placed on Show detailed program changes. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this version (2.0) but the problem remains. Any ideas anyone?
Mark

mogs RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Expert Contributor 8th Aug, 2011 17:33
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 8th Aug, 2011 17:35
That's a bit of a niggle Mark ! Havn't come across it before ; and not had the problem myself. The only thing that I can think to suggest; is to toggle the " show details" checkbox at a time just before an install/uninstall; then to monitor the reaction ; which may jar it into action.
Hopefully Support will have some further suggestions. Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
throkr. RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Member 8th Aug, 2011 20:56
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
Hi,
Didn't have this problem up to now; when changes are detected, the systray icon pop-up message displays correctly which programs have been installed or uninstalled ...
(Using PSI 2.0.0.3003)

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Member 8th Aug, 2011 23:23
Score: 7
User Since: 13th May 2009
Last edited on 8th Aug, 2011 23:47
Thanks for the replies. I know the problem is kind of strange. I have tried toggling the setting before but it made no difference. I don't have it set for auto-updates but I don't think that would make any difference. I've been living with it this way so far and guess I'll have to continue with it acting this way unless I revert back to version 1.5 which works perfectly on my machine. Again, thanks for the input.
Mark

I just now installed the latest version (2.0.0.2003). I'll wait to see if it makes any difference.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
throkr. RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Member 9th Aug, 2011 00:07
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
on 8th Aug, 2011 23:23, Mcd73165 wrote:
... unless I revert back to version 1.5 which works perfectly on my machine.

I'm not absolutely sure but I think that I read somewhere in this forum that the older version (1.5) is no longer supported. Something to keep in mind, if this is the case ... ;-)

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Aug, 2011 13:18
on 9th Aug, 2011 00:07, throkr. wrote:

I'm not absolutely sure but I think that I read somewhere in this forum that the older version (1.5) is no longer supported. Something to keep in mind, if this is the case ... ;-)

Throkr, I think you're right about that. I'm not planning to go back to version 1.5. I can live with the problem I'm having if it will not resolve.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Aug, 2011 23:28
As you'd stated in your original post........
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this version (2.0) but the problem remains. Any ideas anyone?

I'd wrongly assumed when replying, that you were already referring to version 2.0.0.3003 psi......obviously, that may well make the difference. You might like to check thro' the following section of the FAQ's thoroughly too, if you havn't already done so, recently :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Let us know how you get on........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2011 03:21
on 9th Aug, 2011 23:28, mogs wrote:
As you'd stated in your original post........
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this version (2.0) but the problem remains. Any ideas anyone?

I'd wrongly assumed when replying, that you were already referring to version 2.0.0.3003 psi......obviously, that may well make the difference. You might like to check thro' the following section of the FAQ's thoroughly too, if you havn't already done so, recently :-http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Let us know how you get on........regards,

Mogs, thanks for the reply. I'll post the results the next time PSI finds new programs or programs are removed.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Aug, 2011 14:07
Hi. I just did the Flash Player updates and the problem remains where the new programs are not shown in the Tray Pop-Up. I guess this problem I'm having won't be resolved but it's not a major deal.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Aug, 2011 14:54
That's a disappointment Mark !
Had you tried toggling the setting for "show details" since installation of 2.0.0.3003 ?
In Configuration/Settings I'm running with all checks ticked apart from " Prompt before AU" and "Create Log File"....and even this morning the Pop-up came forward with details of a Net update.....tho' installed/scanned MS patches last night !
It's possibly a minor registry error and not necessarily a Secunia problem ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Expert Contributor 10th Aug, 2011 18:52
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

The PSI tray icon pop-ups do seem to be a bit capricious atm . After some 10 priority and 3 optional M$ updates manually selected/applied to my XP SP3 , as with Mogs I got a solitary .Net (version 4 I think) pop-up showing programme as updated .

I manually selected and downloaded (from the Adobe website) and installed the updates for AIR , Flash (ActiveX and NPAPI) & Shockwave (ActiveX and NPAPI but a single installer does both) ; without any individual rescan or full scan Shockwave x2 and Flash ActiveX were displayed by the PSI as updated and after a good 15 minutes I got just the one pop-up for Shockwave NPAPI as updated . A couple of hours later the PSI was still showing the rest as insecure ; an individual scan of each insecure entry produced an almost immediate PSI display as up to date , so far no confirmation in a pop-up . I'll let you know if one turns up today or tomorrow on restarting .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Aug, 2011 13:33
on 10th Aug, 2011 14:54, mogs wrote:
That's a disappointment Mark !
Had you tried toggling the setting for "show details" since installation of 2.0.0.3003 ?
In Configuration/Settings I'm running with all checks ticked apart from " Prompt before AU" and "Create Log File"....and even this morning the Pop-up came forward with details of a Net update.....tho' installed/scanned MS patches last night !
It's possibly a minor registry error and not necessarily a Secunia problem ?

Mogs, I did the "toggle" for the "show details" setting but it makes no difference. I temporarily switched back to version 1.5 and it still works perfectly so I very much doubt that a registry error is the problem here. (I uninstalled then reinstalled Shockwave Player to test it). I had the same settings checked in both versions. Very odd! Thanks for your reply.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2011 16:07
Inasmuch as the Show Details check or the details of progs themselves are not registering in the Pop up....it would seem to be some kind of a registering problem. Whether it stems from the install of psi is maybe another matter.
The switching of versions can sometimes set the errors up.
Did you clean out etc., before re-installation of 2.0.0.3003 again ? I know it's a relatively minor problem....dust pan and brush or learn to live with it perhaps ? It's not worth turning the world upside down ?!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Version 2 doesn't show what new programs it finds:
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2011 16:16
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi again ,

The pop-ups are not doing a lot for me either ; how are they for you Mogs ??

Sorry I do not have the time to do a set of uninstalls/re-installs ; maybe it's a bit like the individual scan system when it sometimes works straightaway and other times can take forever or not at all .

Best way to check the system is for someone to confirm Mark's experiences in comparing version 2.0.0.3003 with 1.5.0.2 and see what support has to say .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Aug, 2011 16:37
@ Anthony As far as I can remember all/any change prog details have shown up on the pop up...tho' as noticed after the recent MS updates, one at least was the day after. And that was after a full scan having already picked the updates up...the same day as installed.
To be honest...if it hadn't been for this thread, I doubt I'd have paid too much attention to the behaviour, as I've mostly settled down with regard to prog changes. Now of course I'll be looking out for it !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Aug, 2011 17:45
Mogs and Anthony, I have previously uninstalled the latest version of PSI using Revo Uninstaller Pro and then in addition I manually checked for any left over registry entries (there were none) and then reinstalled the latest version. The problem remains on my system. As I have previously stated, version 1.5 works perfectly. I suppose that anything is possible in the complex world of computers. Again, I thank you both for your input on this issue.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability