xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Earth solution (not)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
jesbion Google Earth solution (not)
Member 13th Aug, 2011 03:36
Ranking: -5
User Since: 14th May, 2010
System Score: N/A
The solution to the Google Earth update takes me to the Google Chrome installation, what gives. I opened Google Earth and went to the update link and it was no problem. Rescaned the program on PSI, and all was well. So why did Secunia give the wrong solution?

Anthony Wells RE: Google Earth solution (not)
Expert Contributor 13th Aug, 2011 13:17
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

Looking at recent threads , the PSI seems to be picking up the Google Earth 5.x plug-in files , in some cases left behind after updating GE to version 6.x , sometimes within Chrome browser (linked) files , which might explain the download link :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/?forum=2&vendor...

As I am up to date with version 6.x , I cannot check back on my system ; however , all the files detected and displayed by the PSI are currently in either Google Earth Program files or System 32 as per :-

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp\._msige60\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\geplugin.exe, version 6.0.3.2197 .

If this file was left behind in the future , ithe PSI would probably look in Chrome for an update .

If you feel it is important enough , you could contact Secunia direct at support@secunia.com when they are back to work on Monday (CET) .

FWIW , I always use the programme internal updater whenever possible rather than the PSI links ; both Secunia and the vendors usually agree that this is the "least hassle" method .

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jesbion RE: Google Earth solution (not)
Member 13th Aug, 2011 14:13
Score: -5
User Since: 14th May 2010
Thanks, Anthony, I was wondering if all the GE users with Secunua, were going to experience the problem, which would leave many of them in the dark.....I usually use the internal link, myself, but often the "Solution" in Secunia is easier to find. And for those of lesser computer ability, the simplified Secunia makes for a more secure system....
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Google Earth solution (not)
Expert Contributor 13th Aug, 2011 14:28
Score: 2412
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi again ,

You are quite right and with the less experienced user in mind , if Secunia do not pick up here on Monday , it may well be worth pursuing furhter with an email to see if the correct links for GE are available .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
M.Rehman RE: Google Earth solution (not)
Secunia Official 15th Aug, 2011 09:10
Score: 25
User Since: 12th May 2011
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2011 13:27
Hi.

There was a minor issue in a version rule, which screwed things up.
This has now been fixed, and people with an End-of-Life Google Earth 5.x will get to the correct page through "install solution" now.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

--
Kind regards,

Munib Rehman
Secunia Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability