xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
joe schmoe Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Member 15th Aug, 2011 06:59
Ranking: 38
User Since: 26th Nov, 2008
System Score: 100%
Noted that Adobe has digitally signed both for August 5th, 2011.

Should (or can) Secunia give earlier notification of need to update than the date I got for August 14th, 2011?

Or did I miss something?

Just wondering.

joe schmoe

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit

Anthony Wells RE: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Expert Contributor 15th Aug, 2011 13:11
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi Joe ,

As you know , I am no expert but I have often seen bits of programmes which are stamped earlier than the/their actual release date . The Flash update was released by Adobe in their patch Tuesday on/around 9 or 10/080211 (depending on your bit of the world) and it was avaliable at the Adobe site only from that date ; it was added to FileHippo on 10./08/2011 and my PSI scan showed it on 10/08/2011 .

If you sign up for your Software Inspector Reminder in your Profile (lhs this page) you should also get an emailprompt for "some" programme detection rule updates , otherwise the PSI will only tell after you run a scan - orit is done for you (weekly).

Hope that helps .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
joe schmoe RE: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Member 15th Aug, 2011 22:52
Score: 38
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Anthony,

Guess the only thing may be to search IT news to get the latest. I thought I had covered that, but alas...

Did get M$ updates covered though.

joe

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Dedicated Contributor 16th Aug, 2011 00:28
Score: 1208
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Try the mailing list or RSS feed from here: http://www.us-cert.gov/
They cover the popular products.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 16th Aug, 2011 14:05
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2011 14:07
ddmarshall and Anthony,

Thank you for the info.

Got that site bookmarked and so should be good to go.

joe schmoe

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
lmacri RE: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Member 16th Aug, 2011 16:14
Score: 42
User Since: 9th Sep 2009
Hi joe schmoe:

The FileHippo Update Checker at http://www.filehippo.com/download_update_checker/ is fast and does a decent job of reporting available updates for most free software (e.g., MS Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Apple iTunes, Foxit PDF Reader, Piriform Defraggler, etc.) that is not part of the core Microsoft OS.

Most updates are reported the same day as they are made available on the manufacturer's official web site and you can detect both stable and beta releases if you wish. Unlike Secunia PSI, FileHippo will also report updates that do not include a security patch (e.g., feature improvements only).

That being said, I actually find that Secunia PSI does a pretty good job of reporting stable security updates as soon as they're debugged and officially released by the manufacturer, which is really what PSI is designed to do.

--
Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit * NIS 2013 v. 20.5.0.28 * IE 9 * FF v. 31.0 * PSI v. 2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Aug, 2011 06:57
on 15th Aug, 2011 13:11, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi Joe ,

As you know , I am no expert but I have often seen bits of programmes which are stamped earlier than the/their actual release date . The Flash update was released by Adobe in their patch Tuesday on/around 9 or 10/080211 (depending on your bit of the world) and it was avaliable at the Adobe site only from that date ; it was added to FileHippo on 10./08/2011 and my PSI scan showed it on 10/08/2011 .

If you sign up for your Software Inspector Reminder in your Profile (lhs this page) you should also get an emailprompt for "some" programme detection rule updates , otherwise the PSI will only tell after you run a scan - orit is done for you (weekly).

Hope that helps .

Anthony

Anthony,

As Secunia changed their web page format, the Profile link has been moved. But thanks for the tip. I did sign up for Software Inspector. As for FileHippo, I think I will pass on that as that would be another program that would run out of my system into the Internet. I think the less I have of that, the better. Just being prudent here.

joe schmoe

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Update Notification (Active X and NPAPI)
Handling Contributor 17th Aug, 2011 11:15
Score: 11720
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Joe,
I have published this previously on the Forum which U may wish to consider.

NOTIFICATION OF GENERAL UPDATES

There are alternatives to using various general "freebie" updater programmes which may not have all your installed programmes on their database.

Once set up, U can be notified by email each time the vendor of any programmes U have installed creates an update for whatever reason.

The advantages are:
1. U can uninstall all your updater programmes & turn off all programme embedded update notifications which use resources & in many instances are part of the PC start up procedure.
2. Save time searching for updates.
3. Be absolutely certain that the update actually belongs to the vendor in that the information presented by email notification is from the vendor webpage.
4. Once set up U can safely assume that programmes U wish to monitor are up to date, BUT NOT NECESSARILY SECURE until PSI verifies that after a scan.
5. "Freebie" updater programmes tend to concentrate on "freebie" programmes & are of limited value to professional (paid for) programme users. For example, U can asset track Adobe professional programmes by monitoring this link: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

The very slight disadvantage is there are occasions when the vendor adjusts the wording of the monitor webpage rather than the update link which will still trigger an email.

Set up for this free service is easy. As an example, this is how to set up to be notified that Secunia have updated PSI.

1. Go to: http://www.changedetection.com/
2. Sign Up (top right of page) & create a log in.
3. Find the PSI download page which is here:
http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/download_...
Anything on this page that is updated by Secunia will trigger an email notification to U.The important bit is to ensure the page selected has got an actual download link
4. Close the web page.
5. Reopen the webpage http://www.changedetection.com/ & log in with your new ID to check it works.
6. There are now only 2 boxes to fill in to start monitoring PSI.
a. In the box marked Page Address insert http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/download_...

b. In the Insert Alert To box put the email address where the notification should be sent.

Once U have carried out this one time procedure for every programme U have installed U can sit back waiting for the vendor to notify U of changes.

The combination of this method,RSS Feeds,Windows Update & PSI ensures U are kept fully up to date on all necessary updates & security fixes with little effort.

Many vendors also support RSS Feeds whereby notifications can also be fed directly into your mail box. Filehippo has a feed where all changes to programmes on their site are notified.The feed is here: http://www.filehippo.com/ scroll to the bottom of the page - on the right side is an orange box marked All Updates. Click it to set up the feed.

Update 2 10:04 17/08/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability