Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JL Krol How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
Member 4th Sep, 2011 18:50
Ranking: 4
User Since: 10th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hello, am a home user of the free version of PSI 2.0. Somehow, I'm getting a gazillion Secunia Security advisories from CSI. I never agreed to beta-test CSI. How do I stop the Secunia Security advisory alerts from CSI clogging up my email? Thanks in advance.

Note; Had to select the CSI forum to post this thread. Nobody in PSI answered this same query.

JL Krol
Toshiba Satellite laptop
XP Media Center Edition/SP3
Chicago, IL USA

mogs RE: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
Expert Contributor 4th Sep, 2011 19:06
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Hello.
I answered the same or similar request from you just recently.

If you go to "My Profile" on the forum you will see the following items :-

My Subscriptions

Secunia Advisories: Latest updates on vulnerabilities.

Weekly summary: Summary of all vulnerabilities from the past week.

Corporate Newsletter: Latest news updates on products, policies, procedures, announcements.

Software Inspector Reminder: Receive notifications about updates to the Secunia OSI.

Secunia Security Factsheet: Latest Secunia Security Factsheet.

Each one of the above mailing titles has a checkbox to the left of it, which you need to uncheck if you do not wish to receive.

Hope this helps.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+4
JL Krol RE: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
Member 4th Sep, 2011 20:33
Score: 4
User Since: 10th Dec 2008
Twice, a kind respondent to my unwanted emails from CSI, which I did NOT volunteer to beta-test, and which I do NOT subscribe to. I am a home user and have been using the free version (2.0) of Secunia PSI, and love it.

Per the respondent's advice, I checked my profile in CSI, and none of the boxes were checked. So, that doesn't explain why I'm getting a gazillion emails re. Security advisory alerts in Outlook.

PSI used to notify me of a problem by the changing the color of 3 quarter circles in my task barI from green to red (good=green), My PSI settings have unchecked boxes: 1) Prompt before running automatic program updates, 2) Enable "Secure Browsing" Page, and 3) Create Log File. What should be checked here that would eliminate individual alerts?

I only want to be notified of when Secunia PSI updates to a newer (hopefully free) version. Please specifically advise as to my PSI settings (tell me which ones should NOT be checked) so that I can return to see insecure programs ONLY when I view the scan's results. Thanks in advance for your timely response..

JL Krol
Toshiba Satellite A105S4074
XP Media Center Edition/SP#
Chicago, IL USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
Handling Contributor 4th Sep, 2011 21:17
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think U are confusing us & yourself.

This thread is still active which I responded to but received no reply.
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...

Is that problem fixed?

This one is also open & looks like a near duplicate of this thread:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...

As for this thread:

1. U only post to the CSI Forum if U have CSI installed. U have indicated CSI is installed in that U state U have attempted to update your CSI profile. If U have it installed then U should remove it via Control Panel>add/remove.

2. Secunia Advisories DO NOT belong to CSI. They are excellent information for all users as they are a clone of this:

http://secunia.com/community/advisories/historic/

Some, like me, do not have PSI permanently installed but prefer to fix any vulnerabilities manually having read the emails.

3. If U have PSI installed what version is it? Right click the PSI icon>About

U can switch off advisories & tweak your PSI settings to your liking.

Once I know exactly what U have installed I can advise further. I can also lock your other open threads if U like.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 5th Sep, 2011 16:05
Maurice, thanks for your timely response. I suspect that my issue is that I was receiving DETAILED INDIVIDUAL alerts, probably more in demand by IT people, and not the home user like me. In response to your email, I've provides four (4) points below:

1) Secunia PSI version used: 2.0.0.3001.

2) My PSI settings have unchecked boxes: a) Prompt before running automatic program updates, b) Enable "Secure Browsing" Page, and c) Create Log File.
What should be checked here that would eliminate individual alerts?

3) I only want to be notified of a) newer free Secunia PSI version releases; and b) Security issue updates for programs PSI is monitoring for me (task bar icon would change from green to red, and when I opened the PSI, I could view the specific program having alerts) .

4) (Ex. of an email) From: Secunia Security Advisories [sec-adv@secunia.com]
Subject: [SA45821] SUSE update for ncpfs
TITLE: SUSE update for ncpfs
SECUNIA ADVISORY ID: SA45821

VERIFY ADVISORY:
Secunia.com
http://secunia.com/advisories/45821/
Customer Area (Credentials Required) https://ca.secunia.com/?page=viewadvisory&vuln_id=...

RELEASE DATE: 2011-09-03
++++++++++++++++++++++
Hope I haven't confused you with all the above info. I recognize you're very busy. Thanks again for your anticipated timely helpful (and appreciated) response.

JL Krol
Toshiba Satellite A105-S4074
XP Media Center Edition/SP3
Chicago, IL USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0

JL Krol

RE: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Handling Contributor 5th Sep, 2011 19:15
Last edited on 5th Sep, 2011 19:17
Thank you.

1. PSI UPGRADES & UPDATES.

PSI will warn U when there is a major upgrade in that the task tray icon will "produce" a balloon nag message telling U of this event. This balloon will appear every time U boot your PC. It cannot be removed until such time as U upgrade so U have no real worries about upgrading.

Please note that the "balloon effect" does not work for minor updates for cosmetic or bug fix reasons. I note U are using an older version of PSI which is fine in that it works well for U. If U want to keep completely up to date then U need to check this site on odd occasions or ask a question on the Forum.

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/download_...

The changelog is at the bottom. Sadly this page has not been updated by the developers as part of the new website masterpiece & gives the impression that 2.0.0.3002 is the latest version when in fact it is 2.0.0.3003. The actual update link provided is also unhelpful in that it gives a link to version 2.0

Once they are fixed this it should help U further.

2. YOUR PROFILE
I am not sure U are looking in the right area to alter it. Look at the top of THIS PAGE.

U will see some Grey tabs. Click on MY PROFILE. In the box that appears are My Subscriptions.

From what U have said take all the ticks (check marks) from all 5 boxes (just click the box & the ticks will be removed). Bottom right U will see Save Changes>click that.

CAUTION:
U will note your password boxes are empty. LEAVE THEM WELL ALONE to save further hassle. U do not require a password to change your profile if already looged in.

3. PSI SETTINGS

These are really personal settings but I think U are 100% correct by not ticking (check marking) in the Create Log File & Enable Secure Browsing Page boxes.

As for automatic updating that is entirely a matter for U.

Currently U have it set so that PSI will automatically install updates for U as & when without your permission.

If U want to control Secunia's activities then U should put a tick in the Prompt before running automatic program updates box.

If U prefer to keep total control of your PC U should remove the ticks from the Auto update box & the auto update prompt box.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
This user no longer exists RE: How to stop unwanted security advisories from CSI: I use PSI
Member 6th Sep, 2011 13:33
Hi,

If you are still receiving emails, you can unsubscribe from a link at the very bottom of the email.

Hope tihs helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Sep, 2011 22:04
Are U all fixed up now or do U require more help?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 12th Sep, 2011 17:09
Maurice, thanks for the info in your last 2 emails to me. Your input and that of others assisted me in stopping those individual security advisories that flooded my email box. (I unsubscribed from them.) THE PROBLEM HAS GONE AWAY.

Couldn't get back to everyone sooner because I wasn't online till today. Again, thanks to you and all those that responded to my rectified plight. This blog is a Godsend.

JL Krol
Toshiba Satellite A105-S4074
XP Media Center Edition/ SP3
Chicago, IL USA
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Sep, 2011 17:19
Pleased U are OK - I have locked down your other threads for U.

I will lock this thread for U in a couple of hours unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will prevent U from receiving update emails from Forum "tag on" posts & spammers.

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem(s).

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability