Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI stopped working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
pbyrne PSI stopped working
Member 8th Oct, 2011 18:35
Ranking: 0
User Since: 8th Oct, 2011
System Score: N/A
I have used PSI for a couple of months and then one day it stopped working. It says it cannot retrieve my user ID from https://psi.secunia.com. I tried to connect to the URL using my browser and was able to connect fine. When I monitor the internet connection I see data going back and forth between PSI and the site so I think it might be some sort of authentication issue rather than a firewall issue.

Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit
Secunia 2.0.0.3003 (newest version)
Comodo Internet Security Premium [Firewall + Anti-virus both disabled]
Microsoft Security Essentials [Disabled]
Windows Firewall [Disabled]

ddmarshall RE: PSI stopped working
Dedicated Contributor 8th Oct, 2011 19:53
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Do you remember changing anything before PSI stopped working? Use the Reliability Monitor to check for system changes made around the time when the problem started.

I'd check that https://*.secunia.com is in the Trusted Sites list. See: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Otherwise you may have to wait until Secunia personnel see the Forum on Monday for an explanation of that message.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
pbyrne RE: PSI stopped working
Member 8th Oct, 2011 20:44
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Oct 2011
Thanks for the links. I disabled the 'Check for server certificate revocation' in my internet options security and it now seems to connect but it is still far from working.

When the application runs it states that it is performing a background scan but clearly doesn't. When I click on scan it jumps from 'Downloading search rules' immediately to the 'Matching data with Secunia File Signatures engine' step and then brings up a 'Scan Aborted' dialog. Clicking on Dashboard brings up the following error dialog:

Error: TypeError
Function: util.switchPage
File: undefined
Line: undefined
Description: Unable to get value of the property 'length': object is null or undefined

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 8th Oct, 2011 22:33
Those error messages are produced when the Secunia servers cannot be accessed.

The fact that not checking for server certificate revocation makes a difference, suggests that there is a networking problem.

I'm concerned that you seem to have two anti-virus products installed even though disabled. It is usually necessary to completely remove an antivirus product before installing another to ensure no conflicts occur.

If you want to try something before Secunia are back on Monday, I suggest you uninstall PSI, set up you security software the way you like it and than reinstall PSI.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Oct, 2011 19:44
Based on my connection monitoring the it seems that about 64k of data is received from the the server when it initially connects which shows that it is getting to the site and getting some data which is odd. My friends laptop has the same two firewalls installed and he has no connection issues and I didn't either until recently. I have tried reinstalling the software without the firewalls as you suggest but it doesn't help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 9th Oct, 2011 22:15
I'd expect Comodo Firewall to disable the Windows Firewall. I'm more concerned about having Microsoft Security Essentials and Comodo Anti-virus installed at the same time.

Secunia support may ask you to mail them a log. You shouldn't post it here as it potentially contains confidential data.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI stopped working
Member 10th Oct, 2011 09:00
Hi,

The problem you are reporting is likely related to settings in Internet Explorer.

If you reset all settings of Internet Explorer, and reapply the advice of this item of our FAQ (http://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/faq/#s3), are you able to successfully run the PSI?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Oct, 2011 21:17
I had already followed the advice in the FAQ based on suggestion of previous respondent and it didn't help. I could find no reference to 'Advanced text services' in the application properties or in the regional settings for Windows 7.

Also I have compared the running services on my PC with those of my flatmates Windows 7 laptop and they are the same.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2011 08:42
Hi,

Did you reset Internet Explorer before running through the FAQ item?

The text services fix is only for XP systems, as stated in the bug, as disabling them resolve an issue found on some installations of XP.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Oct, 2011 19:08
Yes, I followed the FAQ and reset the IE settings prior to changing the certificate revocation.

While investigating I downloaded a portable version of Secunia 1.5 and tried that to see if it was still working and it worked fine. So why can it connect to the server and 2.0 cannot?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Oct, 2011 08:23
Hi,

I did not suggest changing the revocation settings only. Did you try resetting Internet Explorer, and then reapplying all suggested settings from the FAQ?

There is no official portable version of the PSI. Secunia does not recommend using unofficial versions of the PSI as they could contain malware or cause problems. They are not supported nor approved by Secunia.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

otcvetmeds

RE: PSI stopped working
[+]
This reply has been deleted

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+