Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 8.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
Positivethinker Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 27th Oct, 2011 23:05
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Oct, 2011
System Score: N/A
I use Windows 7 Home Premium + SP1 and have Acrobat 8 Professional and Secunia PSI 2.0 installed. PSI identifies Acrobat 8.x as "Insecure" with high threat rating--4 out of 5 bars. Upon selecting "Install Solution," the file, AcrobatUpd830_all_incr.msp, successfully downloads. Unfortunately, after multiple attempts I consistently get the same results as reported in earlier threads. That is, a dialog comes up that indicates, "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

What's even more confusing is that when I simply launch Acrobat and launch "Check for updates...", Acrobat comes back with message, "There are no updates available at this time." I'm guessing this is a legacy issue as Acrobat is now at version X. Can someone at Secunia please update the signature file or otherwise confirm what the correct patch is?

Thank you!

Post "RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x" has been selected as an answer.
mtodorov RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 27th Oct, 2011 23:11
Score: 12
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
I had woes with Adobe Acrobat update/upgrade and you can probably see from this page if you missed some incremental patch. The problem is some patches are cumulative, some incremental, and you need to see yourself from this list and version you have installed.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

Rgdz
mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ddmarshall RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Dedicated Contributor 27th Oct, 2011 23:21
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
What version does Secunia think is installed and what version does Acrobat report on the 'About' window?

If you are several versions behind you may need to apply the updates one at a time until you get up to date.
The updates can be found here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Positivethinker RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 28th Oct, 2011 00:38
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Oct 2011
Many thanks for the prompt feedback. I'm currently plodding through each of the Acrobat patches...this could take a while! I'll confirm once complete...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Positivethinker Resolved: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 28th Oct, 2011 08:10
I'm happy to report this issue as resolved, although it's admittedly a tedious solution. After re-installing Acrobat, I had to download and install several incremental patches--11 total--before the software finally "recognized" subsequent patch updates and accomplished three additional, automated updates. Most, although not quite all, of the incremental updates required reboots after EACH installation, but I am successfully now at the current revision, which at the time of this writing is 8.3.1. What follows is a detailed listing of the incremental listing. *Note: In some cases, there are multiple listings on the Acrobat site for a particular patch revision. Hopefully, this list will serve as assistance to anyone who must go through the tedium of reinstalling this version on a newer Windows platform. Be advised, it's several hours to accomplish as the early incremental patches disallow "skipping" a patch revision. All patches can be found on Adobe page, http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...

<Begin>
<Base Install> Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 </Base Install>
<Manual Patch Installs> In order, install the following patches:
AcrobatUpd810_efgj_incr.msp --About 20 min.
AcrobatUpd811_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd812_all_incr.msp --Yes, you need to install BOTH of the 8.1.2 patches in chronological order
AcrobatReaderUpd812_SU1_all.msi
AcrobatUpd813_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd814_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd815_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd816_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd817_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd820_all_incr.msp
AcrobatUpd821_all_incr.msp --By this point, you will have re-booted about half a dozen times. The "good" news is once the 8.2.1 patch is installed, the software finally "recognizes" that there are update available for download and proceeds to download->install->request reboot
</Manual Patch Installs>
<Auto-Install Patches>
Patch 8.3.0
Patch 8.3.1
</Auto-Install Patches>
And there you have it! You're 8.x version of Acrobat is now current and your Secunia PSI should recognize the current version and clear the "Insecure" rating.

***NOTE TO ADOBE: For the love of God, is it too much to ask to periodically publish a COMPREHENSIVE patch/service pack??? No one should have to spend upwards of 4+ hours to manually patch software. Just sayin'...

Kind Regards,
+THINKER
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 28th Oct, 2011 08:44
Hi,

We apologize if anyone has been having difficulties patching Adobe Products. As you have noted, there is an incremental patch system, and we try our best to handle it.

Was every version picked up by the PSI correctly? Perhaps we could try to automate the process more if we could verify that the version numbers are consistantly correct.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Positivethinker RE: Unable to patch Adobe Acrobat 8.x
Member 28th Oct, 2011 16:20
Last edited on 28th Oct, 2011 16:29
I see this as (principally) Adobe's issue. Secunia PSI properly identified Acrobat 8.x, and consistently reported the most current patch, 8.3.1, as the solution to be downloaded. As noted previously, if your Acrobat version is more than one patch behind or if you had to re-install, the software prohibits installation of the current patch and provides the ambiguous message. Adobe really SHOULD have a comprehensive patch that precludes the need to install all of the incremental patches. Frankly, having to do so is quite ridiculous given the bar Microsoft and others have set. That said, I really appreciate the follow up from the Secunia team and followers of this thread--I presume they use PSI or commercial variant as well. Perhaps Secunia can use its influence to convince the Adobe team of best practices? As an alternative, if Secunia can determine what the specific, patch version is then the patch version solutions could be presented in the (Adobe intended) current patch sequence to get the software updated more seamlessly. Can't say enough about the awesome Secunia support, and I have relayed as much to my CISO. Please let me know if I can assist in any way toward this effort.

Kind Regards,

+THINKER
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer