Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Contributor 7th Nov, 2011 19:23
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 7th Nov, 2011 19:25

I'm a big fan of Filehippo's Update Checker.

But today I learnt an important lesson - they too can make mistakes.

It told me that I should update my NVidia from v280.26 to v285.62. I was loathe to do this as the last time I'd updated (August) I had major problems. But I did. And my major problems returned.

I'm very pleased that I resolved the problem myself - I found that on Filehippo's main page, the latest NVidia was v285.58 WHQL XP. The version that their Update Checker recommended was for Win7 and Vista!

Joe Schmoe had the same problem in June: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/941...

If Joe sees this, or if anyone else has a similar problem, the problem might be because that whoever told you about the update (not just Filehippo) gave you the wrong version for your PC!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

Post "RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Expert Contributor 8th Nov, 2011 21:58
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hi taffy ,

You do seem to get your fair share of problems .

Filehippo scanner detected the required NVIDIA 285.58 driver for my XP system and it correctly downloaded and installed the software .

Cannot imagine how you got a Vista driver unless you went to the Filehippo website and made a mistake in a manual selection .

Hey ho .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mtodorov RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Member 8th Nov, 2011 22:14
Score: 12
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Last edited on 8th Nov, 2011 22:15
Anothony,

I had another experience.

FileHippo update checker detected ATI Radeon card on my system and recommended
AMD Catalyst Drivers 11.10 XP.

However, that card was supported up to 9.x Catalyst drivers, according to AMD's own autodetect utility:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Page...

In this I've learned that FileHippo update checker didn't do a fair job at versioning in regard to installed card.

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Anthony Wells RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Expert Contributor 8th Nov, 2011 22:33

Hi mt ,

It is always better to use a programme's own website or the internal updater to check/find/download/install the required version after an advisory (as in Filehippo update checker or indeed the PSI ) , particularly in the case of drivers :-

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-...

The latest NVIDIA installers check your system for compatibility ,etc. and are a vast improvement on earlier versions , so taffy's case is a little surprising . Having said that I have (in the past) like yourself been detected/offered an incorrect update by Filehippo and their Chrome browser database used to be a complete fairytale , maybe it still is .

Nothing is 100% but trying to keep up to date is important , it's a question of finding what work's for you and especially not totally relying on the technology to do everything for you .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mtodorov RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Member 8th Nov, 2011 22:59
Score: 12
User Since: 20th Mar 2009
Anthony,

I still remain a devout fan of FileHippo - it has that lovely hippopotamus and a giraffe :-)

mt

--
"If a task is worth doing, it is worth doing right. If it is not worth doing well, it is not worth doing." -- Dr. Jack Hyles
<><
Was this reply relevant?
+1
taffy078 RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 08:49
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hello, mtodorov, Anthony.

I plead 'not guilty to selecting the wrong link on FileHippo's homepage, Anthony! I use their excellent Update Checker - it told me to update from version X to version Y; I followed their link and - hey presto! - one unhappy PC.

I'd had the same problem before and someone on the NVidia forum pointed me to the screen that you mention, so I next went there. Their 'auto detect' failed! Rather than use the manual button, I went back to FileHippo's main screen and followed the (correct) link from there = one happy PC and owner.

I never instal updates from the manufacturer's site, Anthony. This is because of strong advice here in this forum not to do that as you often get bloatware, craplets and other stuff (such as the Ask toolbar) installed. Perhaps you've spotted an important thing - that it's better to use eg FileHippo's link for software/programs (for the reason just stated) but for driver updates always go to the manufacturer's site?.

Yes - I confess to being incident-prone. This saga continued yesterday! There were some critical updates from Microsoft and some others not critical. I installed them all. One was for NVidia and I thought it related to Forceware v285.58 WHQL XP.

The same blardy thing happened - screen resolution meant that only half the screen appeared, 4 bit instead of 32 bit etc etc.

I was able to see enough to establish that the update related to nVidia-Video-NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache TM so I reinstalled v285.58 and all is now well. (OK - yes I was perhaps stupid not to have checked properly.)

So, now, I am trying to find out:

(1) What is GeForce 6200? I think it relates to my previous monitor but aren't sure.
(2) Do I need it as well as Forceware v285.58?
(3) If I don't need it how can I remove it? I've searched my PC but can't find it.

Perhaps it was this that caused File Hippo's giraffe to run away!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 10:30

Hi taffy ,

The method recommended by both Secunia and the software manufacturers as "least hassle" for updating is :-

1)use the programme's internal updater ,

2)use the vendor's website to determine the correct update/patch for your system ; if you are not capable of reading the install instructions and cannot deselect/avoid the "crapware" , then

3)go to a reputable download site with the exact details of the update and select it ; bear in mind some of these sites will also throw in the crapware .

4)if youare confident with the PSI , use the auto-update facility (when available) or see where the manual install selection takes you . Bear in mind it is better to know exactly what you are downloading before you start clicking OK buttons .

If Filehippo scanner is offering you Vista updates for your XP system , that seems to be a Filehippo scanner problem ; it works fine for me , so you might try a reinstall - it might have been corrupted !!

Can't speak for the M$ update problem itself but Forceware v285.58 WHQL XP is the generic name for the integrated NVIDIA driver update package . In the past , downloading from the M$ site has caused some people problems ; in future , at least make a note of the details of the offered software , that way you might find someone who can help , ditto ant error messages .

Your illusive GEForce 6200 "should be" the actual number of your NVIDIA graphics card , check and see that is what you have installed . You most very definitely do need it !!

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Handling Contributor 9th Nov, 2011 10:50
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 10th Nov, 2011 13:24
I think we are missing the point on driver updates.

If U are running an OEM version of Windows it is the responsibility of the PC OEM to provide drivers. If individuals decide, for whatever reason, they require new drivers they should take note of this clear statement from Nvidia:

Drivers on nvidia.com do not carry any warranties nor support services. If you would like support, please revert to the driver provided by your OEM or board vendor.

The release notes for AMD (ATI) normally caveat any download by stating if things go wrong revert to the OEM drivers.

On the newer graphics card there is normally a Control Panel with an update check option. Using that or this link could produce A SUGGESTED update:

http://uk.geforce.com/drivers

That DOES NOT mean your PC requires those drivers until the release notes are fully investigated & understood - some updates merely add functionally to games & has absolutely nothing to do with the general workings of a PC.

Using third party driver updaters, clicking links in PC comic books,Filehippo or Windows Update should not be considered an option for graphic/audio/chipset or BIOS checking. They are clearly the responsibility of the OEM if running OEM Windows.

My advice is to use the HP (Compaq) site and input your PC details to find the latest drivers recommended by them for graphics/audio/chipset & BIOS. They can also be found in the Recovery Partition & may be in the i386 folder if it has not been modified.

Once done LEAVE THEM ALONE unless a problem occurs & then ask the OEM support for assistance.

EDIT:
I have just run the Nvidia Update checker which gave this result:

Available Driver Updates
11/10/2011 1125AM
The following updates are available to be installed.

GEFORCE 285.79 Driver
Release Date 11/10/2011 1200AM
System update does not support the system drivers for your system. Please check for an update from your Manufacturer website.

The bits I have highlighted are important as stated before. Updates may be available for my graphics card but that does not mean they are suitable.

I would only consider using the download link offered if:

1. My graphics were not functioning correctly & HP (my PC Manufacturer) had nothing better to offer than those installed.

2. I became a serious gamer & wanted to extract the best possible experience when gaming.

In my case neither apply so I am "playing a let" as I have done on numerous occasions.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+10
Contributor 11th Nov, 2011 19:08
Last edited on 11th Nov, 2011 19:12
Ok - now that my (side) slider is back, I can read the latest posts. So

@Anthony:
(1) "if you are not capable of reading the install instructions" - yes, I am!
(2) "go to a reputable download site" - yes, I did. FileHippo is reputable, surely?
(3) "you need GeForce 6200". Thanks for this, Anthony - see below.

@Maurice:
I have had this PC since - heck, how do I check? Probably four/five years. This is the first time that I have heard of HP's site for updates - thank you PCWorld (the UK retailer).

I've just gone there and it suggests an update for GeForce 6200.
This is the driver for my newest monitor as Control Panel/ Display/Settings refer to NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Turbo Cach (TM)

So tomorrow, I will install that update and hope that the results are better than when I installed the updates from Microsoft. At least this time I will not be distraught if it fails and I see the effect!. I will simply reinstall Forceware v285.58 as that works. I have no interest in 3D or other special effects on my PC.

Reporting back then . . . . .

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Nov, 2011 20:40

Hi taffy ,

Not sure what Maurice will have to say , but if you cannot do your 1) only then , as I implied , should you go to a third party site . Filehippo is reputable but has now led you astray twice , there must be a message there .

Technically (just up your street) the driver is for the graphics card software rather than the monitor - so read the instructions in full and understand the detail before you click on something ..

You have the latest thing from NVIDIA and as it works fine now , unless you wish to experiment you could leave well alone and forget the HP package until your system packs in .

I prefer : if it ain't broke , "don't fix it" rather than "tweak it some more" .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Handling Contributor 11th Nov, 2011 21:32
Do not think I can add much that has not already been said. When U buy an OEM PC U register it with the Manufacturer - the retailer has nothing to do with it except under the Sales Of Goods Act in the UK.

In the case of HP U get a 1 year collect & repair/replacement guarantee which, for a small fee, is extendable to 3 years.

The OEM (not retailer) is TOTALLY responsible for the maintenance of that PC which includes all hardware drivers. This is why HP have an email driver update service U can subscribe to and a searchable database where U can input your exact PC model to extract drivers.

On that basis they are the only link that should really be used for drivers for audio/chipsets/graphics & any BIOS issues.

As far as I am concerned Filehippo are TOTALLY irresponsible for displaying hardware drivers with no vendor release notes or advice.

There are two thoughts on drivers.

1. Only update a hardware driver if trouble occurs & it is recommended as a possible cure.

2. Keep drivers fully updated to the latest version to get maximum performance/benefit.

User choice having read the driver Release Notes as to whether there is any benefit to be gained.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
joe schmoe RE: Joe Schmoe: Filehippo Update Checker - NVidia Geforce/Forceware
Member 11th Nov, 2011 23:11
Score: 38
User Since: 26th Nov 2008
Last edited on 11th Nov, 2011 23:15
taffy078,

Haven't been on this forum for awhile now.

Imagine my surprise when I saw this thread!

Glad that the info was helpful for you. Sorry you had the problems you did.

I keep my vid drivers up-to-date when I can, mainly for performance improvements and bug fixes. I have a GeForce 6200 card for XP, and when I install the newest driver now, I untick any unnecessary options as the installation progresses, such as the nvidia update module, and also check in msconfig for any startups related to nvidia I do not want to run at start-up.

Seems nvidia wants all of their feature-sets to start with my computer, and none are really necessary.

joe schmoe

P.S. FileHippo is convenient, but not w/o risks. Always go to the OEM manufacturer's website or the video card vendor site for the latest drivers. Either back-up your system or create a restore point before installing as you never know.

--
XP Pro SP3 P4 3.2 HT 2 GB RAM Avast! 9.0.2018 AIS
Win 7 Home Pro SP1 Pentium D 2.8 3 GB RAM Avast 9.0.2018 AIS
Secunia PSI 2.0.0.3003 XP Pro 32-bit & Win 7 H Pro 64-bit
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 12th Nov, 2011 10:20
Last edited on 12th Nov, 2011 10:21
@Anthony. I'll go with "If it ain't broke . . . ." and not bother to use the HP update for now.

@Maurice - thanks. By the way, XP users with AMD will remember the farce when Microsoft issued SP3. This critical update caused XP/AMD users' PCs to crash - the dreaded blue screen and for a day or two we were all running around like headless chickens. I mention this because when I went to the HP site, there it was - HP's version of SP3 for my AMD PC. So I might have reolved the SP3 problem earlier had I been aware of the HPO update site.

One final thought about updates - there have been 3600 Microsoft updates on this XP desktop since May 2010. What a crazy world!

@Joe Schmoe: the thought had occurred to me that your problems with NVidia were also caused by a bad link, hence this thread.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Nov, 2011 11:05
@Taffy
Pleased to see U are all fixed up. I cannot argue with your stance in taking Anthony's wise counsel. U now have a link to the "correct" drivers if things require changing.

The HP/AMD nonsense started with SP2. They were both warned that they had planted "unregistered" drivers into their OEM which caused major upgrade hassle.Users incorrectly pointed a finger at Microsoft. HP/AMD did nowt & it resurfaced with SP3 if my memory is correct.

Finally they fixed it because it was their error & not Microsoft who rightly refused to create a revised SP.

It merely reinforces my point that drivers must come from the OEM because Microsoft do not give direct support to OEM Windows users nor do hardware vendors as U have noted with Nvidia.

Have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability