Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
robevo IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Member 18th Nov, 2011 13:30
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 2011
System Score: N/A
I'm using PSI 2.0 on Windows XP Home Edition and it lists Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x as insecure, showing the following as the location:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.17080

The version of iexplore.exe at that location is 8.0.6001.18702 - I installed IE8 months ago and PSI scans have been carried out many times since but the listing won't go away.

I've just noticed that the security patch it lists as not installed, KB2360131, was installed back in October last year (along with other Microsoft patches that are causing similar problems in my PSI listings - see thread "PSI lists installed patches as NOT installed").

--
Rob E.

robevo RE: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Member 18th Nov, 2011 14:01
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Jan 2011
I have just noticed that PSI 2.0 doesn't show Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 on my list of programs even though it's the version that is installed on my machine.

I see also that the version of PSI that it lists is 1.5.0.2 even though I have PSI 2.0 installed and the version of the psi.exe in the folder pointed to is 2.0.0.5001

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Dedicated Contributor 18th Nov, 2011 16:25
Score: 1210
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
Version 2.0.0.5001 - is this a typing error? The latest version on the Download page is 2.0.0.4003.

My guess is your scan results are not being uploaded to the Secunia server. Check the Internet settings are as described here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

You will probably need to communicate with a Secunia employee to resolve this. If you don't get a response here, email them at support@secunia.com.

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Nov, 2011 05:39
Yes, it was a typo - my PSI version is 2.0.0.2001. Although my PSI has no trouble connecting to Secunia, I followed all the instructions in the doc you pointed to and the only thing I needed to change was to check 'Turn off advanced text services for this program' on the Compatibility tab. I ran a full scan - no difference.

So, I downloaded PSI version 2.0.0.4003, installed it and ran a full scan - still no difference.

I'm wondering if PSI is looking at the Registry for details rather than checking the actual programs that it is highlighting. I'm suspicious of the fact that all the incorrect things being flagged by PSI relate to updates that were actually applied on one particular day (with one execution of Windows Update).

If that is so, how do I get the Registry to show the correct information?

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 19th Nov, 2011 11:18
PSI doesn't look at the Registry. This is how it works:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Have you any reason to believe your Registry is corrupted?

Look in Configuration > Settings and check which drives you are scanning and whether there are any ignore rules which might affect your results.

In my opinion, you need to get in touch with Secunia so that you can arrange to send them a log file for them to investigate why your scan data is not reaching their server.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Expert Contributor 19th Nov, 2011 17:41
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@robevo

Have you got Indexing enabled ?
Some users do disable the feature, as it supposedly speeds things up.
Have you run CHKDSK recently to check for unindexed/lost/found/orphaned files etc and recovery/ verification of certain factors ? It may rectify misplacement and other odd behavior perhaps.
Just a suggestion....it may help.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 25th Nov, 2011 04:38
Last edited on 25th Nov, 2011 04:54
Sorry for not replying to the last two items until now .

I had thought my Registry might be corrupted because I found the old IE7 version number there, but I have now also found the new IE8 version number - so, I'm not worried anymore.

When I look in Configuration > Settings > Drives, there are none listed. But, PSI accepts the other programs on my machine as fully patched. I did have to specifically rescan PSI itself to get it to recognise itself as PSI 2.0 (version 2.0.0.4003) rather than PSI 1.5 (version 1.5.0.2).

I do have Indexing enabled, though it doesn't index Program Files - but that is where most of the other programs (along with IE) are that PSI lists. Just to check if it would make a difference, I added Program Files\Internet Explorer to the directories for indexing - when that was completed, I did a full PSI scan - still as before, with the wrong IE version.

I have emailed Secunia Support for their help - they asked me if I have https://*.secunia.com/ in my trusted site list - I do. They've also asked for screenshots from PSI and file properties to help troubleshoot the issue.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Expert Contributor 25th Nov, 2011 19:29
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@robevo

Did you run CHKDSK after adding further indexing ? If all is in in order....it will pronounce the Volume Clean......else it may do some tidying up.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2011 10:34
I've run CHKDSK and the only thing it foiund was CHKDSK.EXE in the Prefetch directory - on running CHKDSK again, this didn't show up again.

Then, running a PSI full scan still doesn't clear my problem. Secunia support have suggested a step I should take - when I've done that, I will report further.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 27th Nov, 2011 11:42
I would think the fact that you do not have any disks listed for scanning is the root of your problem.
Do you see anything else odd about the disk drive? For example, do you have a 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Notification Area which lists the drive when you click it?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2011 00:31
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2011 00:45
The help for the Drives section shows:
"The following drives were detected while scanning your PC. By default, only the system drive and the drive that contains the "program files" folder is included in your Scan Results, if you want more drives included, simply check them below."

The system drive, which is where the "Program Files" folder is, is thus included in the scan - this is why PSI lists the other 70-odd programs as Up-to-date.

There is no 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Notification Area which lists the drive.

Thank you for continuing to suggest things to look at.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Dedicated Contributor 29th Nov, 2011 15:44
Your earlier post said there were no drives listed in that section. That is not normal.
For example, the computer I am currently using has a C: and D: drive listed. The C: drive, which contains the System and Program Files, has been automatically checked for scanning; the D: drive has not.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 29th Nov, 2011 23:36
Last edited on 29th Nov, 2011 23:38
My desktop, running Windows XP (the one with the problems), has no drives listed. The same is true for my Windows 7 laptop. However, my wife's Vista laptop does have a list of drives, with C: ticked and the other 2 not ticked. All 3 computers are running PSI 2.0

I have an external hard-drive that I've just attached to my desktop to see if its drives would be recognised, but they did not show up on drives (after restarting PSI) - so I wouldn't be able to scan them.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: IE7 listed as insecure though IE8 is installed
Handling Contributor 30th Nov, 2011 09:57
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I think I have encountered this problem in the past on my XP test PC. U could try this on your XP PC.

Install version 1.5 using this link:

http://secunia.com/PSI1Setup.exe

Now check the drives are present then run a scan - has that solved it?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 1st Dec, 2011 03:08
I've downloaded and installed that version of PSI 1.5.0.2 (after uninstalling PSI 2).

I cannot find (unser Settings) that there is a list of drives, but the scan process spends quite some time on the 3rd step (Searching files on local fixed drives).

Even after a reboot, it still does not detect the new version of IE, but PSI 1.5 doesn't list missing patches (like PSI 2 does). However, when I look at Technical Details, it tells me: "Last Inspection of Program: 13th Oct. 2010, 1:32 CET"

Why is it not looking at the current file? How do I make it do that?

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 1st Dec, 2011 17:14

I am assuming U have verified that your PC date & time are accurate.

1. Have U got version 1.5 set up correctly in the ADVANCED mode? Open PSI via the red Tasktray icon>look to the top right & U will see INTERFACE MODE>the word advanced should be in black type>if not click on it>a message will appear>click yes.

2. In the Advanced mode click the settings tab>tick (check mark) all boxes except for Show only "Easy-To-Patch" programs.

3. Click the Scan tab>activate Start Scan.

4. Once the scan is complete what have U got?

a. On the scan page, has the Last & Next Full System Scan details changed & are now accurate? e. How long did the scan take?

b. Click the INSECURE tab. What,if any,entries have U got in there including KB numbers?

c. Click the End of Life tab. Any entries there?

d. Click the Secure Browsing tab. Same detail - any entries?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 2nd Dec, 2011 01:27
Sorry, Maurice. I just spent a considerable time putting together detailed responses to your points and, when I pressed Reply, it all disappeared.

Is there a time or size limit to replies? I shall try again - maybe, I'll put it together off-line and copy and paste, so I'm not holding the page too long.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2011 02:29
Maurice, my responses are listed against your point numbers below - I've tried with interleaving, but each time it just disappears - it's obviously still too long, so I'll reply in 2 parts (up to 4a, and from 4b onwards):

Yes, my PC date & time are accurate.

1. My PSI 1.5 is in ADVANCED mode (as was my PSI 2) - it's been that way since I started using it, long ago.

2. All boxes except for Show only "Easy-To-Patch" programs are ticked.

3. I have again rebooted my PC, run MS Update (which shows that no updates are required), and then run the full PSI Scan.

4. I get the same results as previously - 3 Insecure programs and 1 Out-of-date program (and 94 patched programs).

a. The Last & Next Full System Scan dates and times have changed and are accurate. The scan took 3 minutes, 35 seconds - most of that time in the 3rd & 4th steps ("Searching files on local fixed drives" & "Collecting information from files").

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Dec, 2011 02:30
b. The INSECURE tab shows the 3 MS components that have been listed previously:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x (version 7.0.6000.17080) - the file pointed to, "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" shows version 8.0.6001.18702;
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 11.x (version 11.0.5721.5145) - the file's version is 11.0.5721.5262 (after a recent manual update);
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3).
PSI 1.5 (unlike PSI 2) doesn't show KB numbers, but, when I look at Technical Details for each of these, it shows "Last Inspection of Program: 13th Oct. 2010, 1:32 CET"

c. The End-of-Life tab shows one program - WinZip 9.x (9.0 SR-1 (6224))

d. The Secure Browsing tab has marked as Insecure: IE 7.x, Media Player 11.x (as above), and Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x (version 6.0.220.4 - Last Inspection of Program: 19th Oct. 2010, 1:42 CET) - the file pointed to (java.exe) shows version 6.0.290.11

I notice that many of the programs marked patched have "Last Inspection of Program" dates back last year or several months ago.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Dec, 2011 09:37
Thank U. Looks like we have advanced a bit more.

I assume when U carried out a Windows Update U used the CUSTOM button & that U have no outstanding hot fixes listed that require installation?

Try (another) manual install of the missing KB from here - just click the link & let it run.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?...

If it completes successfully try another full PSI scan. Has that solved anything?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Dec, 2011 01:11
Last edited on 3rd Dec, 2011 02:16
I downloaded and installed that patch, then ran a full PSI scan - no change.

So, I rebooted the PC and ran another full PSI scan - it took over 10 minutes this time - but I still have those 3 MS components listed as insecure, and still showing "Last Inspection of Program: 13th Oct. 2010, 1:32 CET".

I don't understand why the PSI scan is not looking at the current files, particularly when it spends so much time in steps 3 & 4.

I have tried setting an Ignore rule for IE, rescan, reboot, then remove the Ignore rule and rescan - but I still have no success in getting PSI to recognise the current version of IE.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Dec, 2011 17:13
Thank U. Sorry been occupied elsewhere for a few days.

Time we had a second & third opinion on this issue. Please ensure U have no ignore rules set up. Now try this:

Paste this to your IE browser:
https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

What results do U get with IE & Media Player?

U can also try this tool to see if it is telling us that some hot fixes are not correctly registered or installed.

MICROSOFT BASELINE SECURITY ANALYSER (MBSA)

If U are having difficulty confirming the status of Microsoft updates installed on your PC U may wish to install MBSA.

It scans a PC, highlights general security features that were checked, in particular missing Microsoft hot fixes (patches), with additional links to fixes or help lines.

Do not be put off by all the written hype about IT Professionals etc - it is easy to use & understand the results.

More details & the download link are here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc1849...

Any hot fixes missing?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 6th Dec, 2011 12:19
The Browser Check plug-in shows (amongst other things):
a) Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3) is OK (version 5.1.2600)

b) Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 is Up To Date - looking at C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshtml.dll (8.0.6001.19154)

c) Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5280 is Up To Date - looking at C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmp.dll (11.0.5721.5280)

The only problem MBSA shows is that there are incomplete updates - this even after rebooting and MS Update not listing any updates needing to be applied.

There are no hot fixes missing.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 6th Dec, 2011 14:24
Last edited on 6th Dec, 2011 14:25
When U click the advice list in MBSA does it give U any KB numbers of incomplete installations?

When U did a manual Windows update did U select the Custom options to trawl for all outstanding updates?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Dec, 2011 05:52
MBSA doesn't give me any KB numbers of incomplete installations. But, when I click on "How to correct this", I get a web page that directs me to look at "registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations can sometimes be used to determine whether a restart is required. If this key exists and has files listed within it, a restart is pending."

That key exists and shows "\??\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\logishrd\LVPrcInj01.dll". So, I rebooted and looked again at the key and the same value is still there.

I always use the Custom option to check for outstanding MS updates. I've just run MS Update again and it lists no high priority updates - only 2 optionals (Update for Root Certificate and Windows Live Essentials) that I don't need to install.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 7th Dec, 2011 10:41
Thank you. I came in on this thread because I personally had a very similar problem while testing numerous programmes claiming to be Registry Cleaners/Optimizers/Fixers.

There are ways around your issue we can try but can U please confirm that U have used a programme like this in the past or are currently using one. This includes CCleaner that has an advanced option with XP whereby U can remove Hotfix Uninstallers.

If used can U please also state whether U have a record of files removed or if U use(used) the automatic scan & repair option many of these programmes offer.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 8th Dec, 2011 04:01
Some time ago I had used Uniblue's Registry Booster, and I had asked it to clean my Registry.

I am currently using the AVG Internet Security package on our 3 computers, and have just upgraded to the 2012 version, which has an Analyzer process. I ran that and it highlighted quite a number of problem areas.

It offers to fix all problems found if I purchase and activate their PC Tuneup facility. Is it your suggestion that I should run something like that cleanup process?

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Dec, 2011 04:02
I decided to run Secunia's OSI (with "Enable thorough system inspection" ticked and "Display only insecure programs" unticked) to see what it said about my system - the results are as follows:

a) Microsoft Windows XP Professional is up-to-date. Your system has all security related patches from Microsoft installed. (a bit interesting, because I have Windows XP Home Edition)

b) Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x (version 8.0.6001.18702) is up-to-date. Your system has all security related patches from Microsoft installed.

c) Microsoft Windows Media Player 11.x (version 11.0.5721.5262) is up-to-date. Your system has all security related patches from Microsoft installed.

It also tells me that my MS Outlook Express and Skype are up-to-date, but that my WinZip 9.x is insecure. It didn't show any other programs - that may have been because, after 20+ minutes, my PC went to sleep or my network connection went down.

PSI is still showing the 3 MS components as out-of-date and insecure.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 8th Dec, 2011 11:42
What I am saying is that there is no doubt that the Registry Cleaners I was testing systematically removed important files from my test PC resulting in a similar situation to yours.

I ran my tests using the automatic find & repair option which left my Windows OS in a volatile & unstable condition resulting in my having to format the drive & reinstall Windows.

All PSI is doing is reading the meta data on your PC & reporting the findings. MBSA has,to some extent,supported the fact that PSI is correct in that it is indicating some hot fixes are not correctly registered & will remain that way until such time as U reboot. A reboot does not appear to alter the situation hence the issue.

OSI & PSI are different animals - I would not read too much into the different findings.

The Windows XP Home/Professional results display is a known bug which Secunia are trying to fix.

U clearly have no record of what files Uniblue removed so looking for any potential missing files is a little bit like "finding a needle in a haystack".

On that basis U have choices.

1. Leave things as the are until the next full format of Windows which will correct the issue.
2. Try a further fix (details below) which may register the Windows hot fixes correctly & satisfy PSI & MBSA.
3. Winzip 9 is easily fixed by upgrading to version 16.0 (9691) or uninstall it & then find a free alternative or create an ignore rule having carried out a Risk Assessment against the advisories here:
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/567/

I tested this yesterday using Windows XP with PSI version 1.5.0.2 installed. All the "mechanics" worked well & it MAY repeat MAY help to get your Windows hot fixes correctly installed & registered.

If U want to give it a try:

1. Be patient & let Windows slowly "do its business". There may be occasions when U think something is not responding - just let it run.

2. Follow the advice given at each stage - mainly closing active programmes during the install.

This is what I did on my test to reinstall the Windows XP SP3 upgrade.

1. Downloaded & SAVED this to desktop. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?...

Do not worry about the IT Professional/Developer heading - hype to warn off tourists!

2. Once the download completed to the desktop I EXITED all running applications using Task Manager.

3. I activated the desktop installer - the checking & install process took some time to complete.

4. Followed any prompts until Windows completed the operation.

5. Rebooted.

6. Ran a full manual (custom) Windows Update scan & installed any hot fixes offered. Given the amount of fraudulent Root Certificates flying around I strongly advise U install the update offered but not Windows Live if U do not use it.

7. Rebooted.

8. Ran a full PSI scan.

Has this changed anything for U? U may find that Adobe Flash is now showing as End of Life/Insecure. That is easily fixed by reading here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/117...

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 9th Dec, 2011 11:01
I followed your instructions carefully and, unfortunately, the result is I still have those same 3 MS components marked as insecure.

It took 6 attempts to download the SP3 install file before I got the whole thing. After installation and reboot, MS update found 4 patches were needed - 2 Security Updates for Windows XP (KB946648 & KB954459), Update for Windows XP (KB973687), and Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2586448).

After the restart, there were 2 more patches to be applied - Update for Windows XP (KB973687) and Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648).

After rebooting again, I ran the full PSI scan and the results were the same as in the past, apart from the fact that I've removed WinZip in the meantime.

By the way, I have never actually reformatted my drive nor reinstalled Windows - maybe it's time to upgrade to Windows 7!

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Dec, 2011 12:29
A shame that did not work. Without "hands on" I cannot really be 100% sure a past Registry Clean has removed some vital files but it has all the hallmarks whereby normal mundane tasks become a chore.

There is another way to test the system. Details are here:

http://www.internetfixes.com/scannow_sfc_windows_x...

Once read are U interested in giving it a try? I have not used this method for some time & on the basis can give no guarantee it will not cripple your system until I have retested it.

I am happy to test it for U & report my findings.

If U are thinking of upgrading your current PC to Windows 7 U should run this test to check all is in order before U proceed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloa...

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance particularly on testing Scannow.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 10th Dec, 2011 09:17
I ran the scannow sfc and it showed no changes were needed.
After a reboot, ran PSI scan - no change form my 3 insecure MS components.

Since then, I've managed (somehow) to scrub all knowledge and history of PSI and then reinstalled it (several times with reboots, uninstalls, and then install of PSI 1.5 or PSI 2.0)
and it now says I have no programs on my machine.

It's not recognising any of my software or OS, even though the scan runs for 5 to 10 minutes. I suspected that it was not actually looking at my files previously when it was saying the last time it last looked at my problem files back in October last year.

I've had a look at other threads on the subject of 0% score, but can't see a solution.

Where does PSI store it's history of my scans (for determining progress, etc.)?

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Dec, 2011 09:30
Your last scan result should be on their server for comparison.

U may have reset set something if U have completed scannow.

Have U checked the settings as per the FAQ? There are some there solely for XP users.

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/PSI/faq/

When U go to the PSI settings are your drives listed? I suspect they are because U are not getting the scan abort message?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Dec, 2011 02:35
Sorry, I've been otherwise occupied for a few days. All my settings are as they ought to be - so far as I can see.

I've just been alerted to new MS updates and have installed them - amongst them were security patches for Excel & Publisher and a new version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool, which PSI has recognised.

There were also security patches for other MS components (5 for Windows XP & 1 for IE8), which PSI did not recognise.

Having rebooted and noting the above, I ran a full PSI scan (which took 5 minutes) but got no other programs recognised, even though it spent considerable time "Searching files on local fixed drives" and "Collecting information from files".

How can I get PSI scan to recognise my OS and the other programs I have installed?

I note that now that PSI lists some programs, it shows real times for last & next scheduled full system scans.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Dec, 2011 11:22
When U sent the screen shots to Secunia Support what advice did they give? I am referring to this entry from U.

I have emailed Secunia Support for their help - they asked me if I have https://*.secunia.com/ in my trusted site list - I do. They've also asked for screen shots from PSI and file properties to help troubleshoot the issue.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Dec, 2011 01:24
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2011 01:25
Support suggested I check MS Update again for any patches - none were offered.

In which case, they said to apply the patch manually - that did not work, because I have IE8 installed and PSI was listing a missing IE7 patch. (I believe there was also an IE8 version of the fix, which I applied - but still no change for PSI).

They also pointed me to a few other PSI threads on the forum - they didn't seem to apply.

I suspected that PSI was not actually scanning my C-drive, where my OS & programs are, because it (PSI 1.5) was showing a "Last Inspection of Program" date over 13 months ago.

Note that now PSI only lists 3 things - some of those that were affected by very recent MS Update patches.

I have done many reboots and full PSI scans, but nothing else shows up on the list!

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Dec, 2011 14:22
Last edited on 15th Dec, 2011 16:02
Thank you for the update.

It looks like Secunia are saying it is not their programme that is in error but your OS which supports my view.

That said, I understand your viewpoint that PSI does not appear to be scanning correctly.

I am getting stuck for ideas but we could try rolling back to IE7 to see if everything works when that is properly reinstated.

What do U think to that idea?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2011 00:39
PSI now doesn't find IE at all on my PC at all, despite the fact there was a large MS patch for IE8 recently. So, I don't think going back to IE7 will work.

PSI now recognises just 4 programs - 3 others from that recent MS Update and a patch for Google Chrome (that I rarely use).

I've asked Secunia Support how I can completely scrub PSI from my system so that, hopefully, a new install will start from scratch and find all my programs.

Other than that working, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and upgrade my system!

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Dec, 2011 02:11
The great mystery continues - not sure I can offer any more help?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Dec, 2011 08:33
Thanks, Maurice, for all the suggestions and help you have given.
If anything comes of what Support might offer, I'll let you know.

--
Rob E.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer