Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: aborted scans then problems logging in

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 aborted scans then problems logging in
Contributor 18th Nov, 2011 18:54
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 18th Nov, 2011 18:54

I'd just installed the latest iTunes v.10 update so naturally I scanned.

The first scan did step 1-6 in 7 seconds and then aborted after 37 seconds.
The second scan did 1-6 in 4 seconds and then aborted after 12 seconds.

I closed then clicked the green icon. The verifying connection message stayed on for about a minute so I tried again - same problem. I've got here via the website.

Just going out so no time to scan from here.

Anyone else having problems?

Back later

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

taffy078 RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Contributor 18th Nov, 2011 18:57
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
couldn't find the dashboard/scan button etc from here - is it possible to get there from here?

still can't get in via the green icon on the bottom tool bar.

Later.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

mtodorov

RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
bdmeyer RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Member 19th Nov, 2011 23:05
Score: 0
User Since: 29th Dec 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Nov, 2011 23:22
Starting today, when I click a scan, I get 7/8 then at 31 seconds, scan aborted.
Enabling logs shows nothing useful.
I restartee the update and psi services, then reran PSI from the start menu. Now, more realisstically, a full scan has run, taking 8 minutes. (4 core/Win7 64 bit)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 07:42
@mt - thanks

@ bdmeyer - thank you too. I restarted just now and the scan is working, although I nave a Sun Java JRE issue - separate thread, link below. What is your set-up? XP etc.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 12:18
I've just tried to scan again, after having resolved some Java JRE issues.

The scan again aborted after 8 seconds and I have a red tray icon despite a 100% score.

I accept what mt said earlier but we've never (rarely?) had these problems before, so perhaps the programmers arbusy with their screwdrivers and jack-hammers trying to resolve it! (Only joking, Secunia staff - we all love you really.)

If no one else reports similar problems, I'll have to accept it's me - again! ;0)

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 13:27
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

I had a red tray icon this morning with green scan results page (icon) .

I did not run a scan but I closed the tray icon and restarted from "All Programmes" (XP running PSI v2.0.0.3003)) but no change ; so I exited the tray icon and the psia.exe and sua.exe processes (using Task Manager) and restarted (A/P) and after an initial red icon it went green after a couple of secs . Scans Ok .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
linda12 RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Member 20th Nov, 2011 15:44
User Since: 8th Sep 2010
Hi, I am also getting scan aborted.. I have 2 pc ,s at present, to try installing my printer on my daughters, as I was having trouble with it on mine.Removed it from my daughters, same problems, now keep getting scan aborted after 2 seconds
But on mine it,s ok. Both scanned at the same time;;;mine always showed red, even with 100% as it does now... Daughters showed green, until I installed printer, now red, showing 100% , but keeps aborting....Never come across this before
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2011 15:48
Last edited on 20th Nov, 2011 16:15
it,s not you taffy, i,m having same problem, tried reinstalling, still aborting.
Starts to scan, bar shoots staight up to approx 75% instantly, then aborts. But the other pc is ok, scans as usual, no problem////
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bob 2 RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Member 20th Nov, 2011 16:27
User Since: 3rd Aug 2009
Tray Icon never goes green even though the program reports 100% .
Scan aborts after 18 seconds.
Now program will not even start a scan.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2011 16:36
hi bob,, seems psi have problems, but spasmodic, as i say, 1 of mine is ok, the other isn,t
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 16:39
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
No problems with 2.0.0.4003 in southernish Blighty taffy !!
Just ran a scan.....tho' took a bit longer.....not at it's Sunday's best !! No probs with the tray icon being cantancrous !! It must be one of the most sensitive programs on the internet ! Defragging before scanning seems to make a difference.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bob 2 RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Member 20th Nov, 2011 17:00
User Since: 3rd Aug 2009
Just now, after a third reboot this morning, the program scans and the tray icon is green.

All seems ok now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Nov, 2011 17:01
You can say that again Mogs. For ages I have never had green, even though 100%.. On 2nd pc which is scanning ok , I cannot get on forum, not for ages, so bookmarked it.Yet get it ok on this.. It,s a good program, but very inconsistant. It,s very unstable, even buttons don,t work half the time.have to do most fixes manually
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 17:51
@linda12

The most consistant version I found in recent times was 2.0.0.3003.... this 4003 version snips a bit off the scan times.... sometimes; of course it's got the bugs on the Secure Browsing page, and apparently when trying to submit a Troubleshoot Report.....in fairness, both of which Maurice warned us of beforehand.....the icon is more erratic, but I've learned to live with it. I suspect they're always working at improving things behind the scenes at the weekends. I never forget it's a free program that I was lucky to find; and the commitment and integrity that's there in whatever they do.
My Toshiba's in it's fourth year now.....I've learned a lot...but never enough.....I don't know how I'd have survived without Secunia....psi...and....all the wise advice from the forum !!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Expert Contributor 20th Nov, 2011 18:30
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi , some points , to the best of my knowledge :-

1)V2.0.x of the PSI needs the psia.exe and probably the sua.exe to run as services as well as all the four processes to load (as seen in Task Manager) in order to run correctly . In 2.0.x the psi.exe is only used to display the GUI and your last scan results held on the Secunia server .

2) I too find/found 2.0.0.3003 to be the most reliable ; for future reference , I would keep older version installers on hand (filed away - long term) for future reinstallations/rainchecks .

3)The PSI 1.5.0.2 uses only the psi.exe for it's correct execution. It is worth a try to see if you can getr it to run for you ; if it does , it may indicate you have a PSIA and/or SUA problem . In the past such problems have not all of them been resolved . The link for 1.5.0.2 is the second one down on the rhs of this page :-

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Then see if you can get 2.0.x to run .

4)When you have installed/downloaded/changed something and the PSI does not work , you could try to retrace your steps and remove possible problems and always check that your internet connections (embedded IE) have not been altered , as per :-

http://secunia.com/products/consumer/psi/faq/#s3

5)The less you fiddle blindly with the Registry - especially letting some third party software in there - the more reliable you are likely to find the PSI becomes .

Sermon over ; if you will collect the offerings Mogs :))

Bonne Soirée .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Original-Paulie-D re: SCAN ABORTED
Member 21st Nov, 2011 07:04
Score: 10
User Since: 8th May 2011
Nov 2011
Win7 Ultimate 32-bit
Secunia PSI Tray 2.0.0.3003

Hello. While logged in as a Limited User, I've noticed recently that the Secunia Tray icon remains RED, despite that opening the UI shows a 100% system score. Attempting to launch a manual scan quickly results in a SCAN ABORTED message.

After reviewing the SERVICES.MSC (MMC) applet, I noted that TWO services were listed for Secunia:
Secunia PSI Agent : "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\PSIA.exe" --start-service
Secunia Update Agent : "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\sua.exe" --start-service

They both share the same description:
Performs routine software inspections of the system, the results of which can be seen in your Secunia Customer Area account.

I launched MMC as the administrator (using RunAS) and STOPPED the "Secunia PSI Agent" service, then relaunched "Secunia PSI Tray" and attempted to start a manual scan.

It worked without issue. While I am pleased, it was only by chance that I achieved this result.

Awaiting official word from Secunia as to why their product is suddenly aborting scans; it's worked flawlessly since I originally installed it earlier this year.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Original-Paulie-D RE: scan aborted
Member 21st Nov, 2011 07:18
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2011 07:23
In addition to my prior post, I enabled logging in Secunia PSI. A review of the following log "C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psialog.txt" reveals the following:

[11/21 00:41:50.734] Unknown name in invoke:notifyCheckin
[11/21 00:41:50.860] Unknown name in invoke:periodic
[11/21 00:41:51.595] Checking in with server (psi.secunia.com)
[11/21 00:41:51.689] Checkin reason : appmon
[11/21 00:41:51.798] Connecting to psi.secunia.com:443
[11/21 00:41:51.905] GET /psi_api/2003/?type=agent_check&agent_version=&tz= 18000&fm=0x80000000&uid=qTAGGPv51P...[snipped]
[11/21 00:41:52.014] Request timeouts : 60000ms, 30000ms, 30000ms
[11/21 00:41:57.877] Error in HttpRequest: status=499, statusText='The certificate authority is invalid or incorrect
',winCode=12045
[11/21 00:41:58.159] Error while checking in with server (12045) : "The certificate authority is invalid or incorrect"

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 08:53
Good morning (UK).

There's a lot of useful stuff here.

@Linda12, Bob 2 and Original-Paulie-D: thank you for helping me realise that it wasn't just me! :0)

@mogs: Yep - you're quite right to remind me that it's a free program.
I posted this because (1) it seems to be happening a lot more in recent weeks (though if you search Secunia under "GUI" you'll see that the problem has been on-going for some time now).
(2) I thought ir wise to let Secunia know about it - they probably do anyway but I'n not in a position to know that.

@Anthony: good sermon! But I think you'll have problems getting mogs to hand over the offerings. Perhaps he could instead buy you another type of Gui - a generic for grilled dishes in Korean cuisine!
Seriously though, I need to question your #5 - "The less you fiddle blindly with the Registry - especially letting some third party software in there - the more reliable you are likely to find the PSI becomes."

I imagine that the largest group of PC users must be "non-technical" i.e. can boot up, run everyday programs such as Word, Excel & derivatives. Most are unable to, or are not interested in/have no time to delve deeply in technical issues. We drive the car but aren't interested in piston physics, mechanical engineering. We are a novice, beginner or at best an intermediate, in Microsoft terms. That's why we rely on fabulous companies such as Secunia.

The PC media is full of advice that over time, the registry will grow, especially when we add/remove software, hardware & drivers. As a result, the registry can become corrupted or filled with errors and empty destinations. The common solution is the need to fix these registry problems before they start to get worse - which could result in major problems.

But on the other hand, the same PC media tells us that if we make any error while editing the registry, we can potentially cause Windows to fail or be unable to boot, requiring a reinstall.
The moral seems to be "Edit the registry at your own risk".

Faced with this daunting prospect, do we really have a choice other than to use a third-party, Anthony?

And if we do want to find a third party, there aren't that many comparison sites. I chose Uniblue after a recommendation in this forum but I won't renew it as my PCPitstop software does the job - and I got that after readiung a review by a Microsoft MVP.

Sorry that this too has turned into a sermon but I imagine that many (most?) PSI users use a third party product to clean their registries?

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 09:02
Sorry, I forgot that

(1) when I booted up this morning, my tray icon was green. Also

(2) @Original-Paulie-D: Let's hope that one of the experts here will help you resolve your problem. It's possible that they may need a lot more info, in which case they may ask you to re-post, as a new thread.
I'm sure that they'll let you know. Good hunting!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Original-Paulie-D RE: aborted scans then problems logging in
Member 21st Nov, 2011 09:03
on 21st Nov, 2011 08:53, taffy078 wrote:
Good morning (UK).

... I imagine that many (most?) PSI users use a third party product to clean their registries?

@taffy078, nothing ... and I repeat NOTHING good will ever result from running a registry cleaner tool. Simply said; Don't ever consider it. The negative impact may not be noticible until days, weeks, months later when it's too late to revert (assuming that was even an option in one's case).
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 21st Nov, 2011 09:04
Last edited on 21st Nov, 2011 09:08
on 21st Nov, 2011 09:02, taffy078 wrote:
Sorry, I forgot that

Let's hope that one of the experts here will help you resolve your problem.

You're more likely to get a self-professed secunia expert tell you while YOU ARE wrong and the Secunia app is functioning as intended. :) Just stating a fact.

Just because someone has hundreds of posts on any particular forum doesn't necessarilly make them an "expert" in anything other than the 'gift of gab'. Want good advice? Receive an opinion, do your own research, arrive at your own conclusion.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 09:57
@Original-Paulie-D:

nothing ... and I repeat NOTHING good will ever result from running a registry cleaner tool

I need to ask you if you clean your registry. If so, how? I should have asked Anthony too. Sorry, Anthony.

PS I'm sure that the experts here will rise to your challenge and help you, rather than ignore you because of your second Post!!!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 09:57
Not at all sure where it's going or leading....but my days of getting embroilled in the pros and cons of Registry optimization- use arguements are over.
Personally, I wouldn't be without my Auslogics registry scanner and compactor...from another source. I'm not days nor weeks nor months of use; and in conjunction with other cleaners.....get a clean bill of health from CHKDSK pronouncing that the volume is clean.
I can't remember when the screen last froze.....scrolling gets smoother each week. Page to page like a monkey thro' trees.....another description might be more apt.....um, er.....picking up fleas ? Machines too can become senile and sad.....self opposition to regular maintenance.....my Windows Vista ain't always complaining....that's what I meant.....psi is a monitor in more ways.....things have got to be right to run......I don't think it's that I'm easily satisfied and slothful......I'm not a fish in the water with Tagalog !!
I don't do offerings to any volcanic gods !!! I'm respectful enough in my use of the word ?! My peers aren't all asleep on a pew or a bench ?! Where did I get what label ?! Self proclaimation ?!
Aren't I sometimes poetic ?!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 10:10
Hiya, mogs - never in those fogs - PC gleaning - with your registry cleaning.

Sorry about that.

Yours is an interesting take - perhaps Secunia could run a poll :"Do you use a registry cleaner?". Lets see what the others say!

PS I should added "problems smaller/with your uninstaller" because I've just installed Revo after seeing your iTunes post. Guess what was on the Revo web-page?

"VS Revo Group Recommends Uniblue RegistryBooster 2011"

OMG!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 10:53
I've resolved my query abour Registry Cleaners - see

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/117...

I'll leave this thread open for a few days to see if anyone can help Original-Paulie-D.

Thank you everybody for your interest, help and comments.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Nov, 2011 21:16
@taffy

I think you may be developing a spooky side to your nature taffy !!
You mentioned fog this morning....a few hours later I was on a road across Cornwall ! No rum tale...not even the best part of a whale ! Came over a brow : 'round a corner : thought at first I saw a thick bank of smoke......4th/3rd.....a tree in the midst of a mist appeared...a few seconds later I was thro' it . No fire apparent....The Autumnal branches had melded and mingled with the Wintry mysterious effect Gees....thank God it wasn't night !!! Moral of the tale.....my mind ain't playin' tricks !!

Regarding Reg Cleaner....No, Nicht , and whatever is Japanese for....I havn't got a new recipe for a burger either.....if I had a tic or an aspirin....it might show up as a spelling error !! Where am I at with my writing or printing ?! I havn't been bitten by a fly whilst trying to read a Rosetta !!!
What's written on what wall ?!!!
My Defragmenter is sensitive too !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Nov, 2011 22:02
on 21st Nov, 2011 09:57, taffy078 wrote:
nothing ... and I repeat NOTHING good will ever result from running a registry cleaner tool

I need to ask you if you clean your registry. If so, how?

Perhaps you overlooked my original response: I do not run registry cleaners on any computer I own. History has proven that they royally muck up the entire computer.

As I stated, nothing good will ever result from running a registry cleaner tool. Simply said; Don't ever consider it. The negative impact may not be noticible until days, weeks, months later when it's too late to revert (assuming that one had a backup of their system, prior to cleaning).
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Nov, 2011 22:08
on 21st Nov, 2011 09:57, taffy078 wrote:
PS I'm sure that the experts here will rise to your challenge and help you, rather than ignore you because of your second Post!!!

First, I wanted to correct a small typo. I meant to write: "You're more likely to get a self-professed secunia expert tell you why YOU ARE wrong rather than admit that the Secunia app malfunctioning" which I've seen it do on more than one occasion. Granted, it's still an invaluable tool, in my honest opinion.

As to my other point, the subsequent posts only prove my point: "Just because someone has hundreds of posts on any particular forum doesn't necessarilly make them an "expert" in anything other than the 'gift of gab'. Want good advice? Receive an opinion, do your own research, arrive at your own conclusion."

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Nov, 2011 22:11
on 21st Nov, 2011 10:53, taffy078 wrote:
I'll leave this thread open for a few days to see if anyone can help Original-Paulie-D.

No need but a sincere thanks for the kind offer. I'll open my own thread on this item.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Contributor 22nd Nov, 2011 08:57
@Original-Paulie-D: re your 22:02 post, I had already "seen the light" regarding third party registry cleaners. I have posted the advice that both you & Anthony gave in

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/117...

I have since been asked why I apologised in that thread. When I asked you & Anthony for more reasons, I may have given the impression that I was challenging advice from two posters who clearly have a much deeper knowledge & expertise in PCs. I wasn't challenging - I was simply in such a deep quandry that I was desperate for more info to help me progress.

My thread will, I hope, help other novices such as me.

Regarding my score, it's not an indication of my PC expertise - that 's obvious!
It's simply a reflection that in the past I have regularly tried to point other novices in the right direction.
I see that you've re-posted your problem. I'm sure that one of the experts here will help you resolve it and I feel that I can close this now.

@Maurice: Can you close this for me please? I've had excellent help & advice from several posters & can't chose one post to "accept". Thanks.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer