Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Suggest Software feature not working in PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mevans567 Suggest Software feature not working in PSI
Member 7th Dec, 2011 18:25
Ranking: 1
User Since: 7th Dec, 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 7th Dec, 2011 18:29

I am running PSI 2.0.4003 on Windows 7 32-bit.
I wanted to suggest iCamSource as a program to monitor.
I clicked Browse, selected the file, which filled in the appropriate field in the Suggest Software form with "C:\Program Files\iCamSource\iCamSource.exe", then added the program name, URL, my email, etc., and hit Suggest Software.
It replied "No file version information was available for the specified file. Please locate the main .exe or .dll for the program and try again."
Of course, I tried again. Fail. I tried typing in the filename manually, but it would not accept any characters.

I should also note that I tried this earlier today with an older version of PSI (2.0.3001, I believe), and it failed. That caused me to manually upgrade to 2.0.4003. (Strange that PSI didn't auto-update itself before then!)

I used this feature many months (and possibly versions) ago, and it worked. But not now...

mogs RE: Suggest Software feature not working in PSI
Expert Contributor 7th Dec, 2011 19:26
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@mevans567

File info. required to suggest a program

"Are you missing a Program?" feature.
Browse and select a file in Windows Explorer that is acceptable for meta data tracking.

Try to find an exe/ ocx or dll file that has a version number attached .

Best is the main exe file....right click on it/select properties/look at the details tab which should have a clear version number. That is the file Secunia are looking for

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mevans567 RE: Suggest Software feature not working in PSI
Member 7th Dec, 2011 19:31
Score: 1
User Since: 7th Dec 2011
Last edited on 7th Dec, 2011 19:34
Thank you. Yes, I know exactly which file it is. The problem is in the PSI application. It will not submit the suggestion despite all the fields being completed. And I filled the filename field using the Browse button, then selecting the .exe file. (It would not allow me to type the filename manually. Silly restriction, but whatever.)

I should mention, however, that the .exe in question, icamsource.exe, does not show version information under the Details tab of Properties.

It this is a requirement for PSI, I would suggest that an error trap be set to detect and report on this problem, so the user knows why the suggestion cannot be made. If this is NOT a requirement for PSI, then we are back at wondering why the suggestion fails.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 7th Dec, 2011 19:35
From the info you gave in your original post......there is no version number apparent in the file you are using.......the reason it's being rejected it would seem.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mevans567 RE: Suggest Software feature not working in PSI
Member 7th Dec, 2011 19:43
Score: 1
User Since: 7th Dec 2011
Ha! Yes, of course I see what you are saying, and should have suspected this was exactly the cause.

I would suggest that the error message be clarified, to say "No version information was found in this file. An executable file must contain version information to work with PSI. Please find an executable file that includes version information. (You can view File Properties [Windows] or File Information [Mac] to determine if version information is available.)

Thanks for pointing out the error.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 7th Dec, 2011 19:45
I see you've edited your last post.....I've got no other info to be able to help you other than the following, taken from the FAQ's here :-
I have some programs that the PSI does not detect. What can I do to add them?
Go to the Scan Results page, click "Are you missing a program?", fill in the fields and select a file related to the program you wish to suggest. The more information you include, the higher the chance we can include the software in our database, or correct already-existing rules.

Please make sure that the file you suggest contain correct file information, such as filename and version numbers, as this is the information the Secunia PSI uses to detect the program and to determine which version you have installed.

When I try to suggest a program the PSI shows 'C:\FakePath' (or similar) instead of the file's location. Why is this?
This is because https://psi.secunia.com is not added to 'trusted sites' as per section S3 of our FAQ. Without this configured, your system blocks the PSI from uploading the required file information from your system.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer