xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI does not recognise installed patches (I think)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
psicutrinius PSI does not recognise installed patches (I think)
Member 11th Dec, 2011 12:05
Ranking: 0
User Since: 20th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
Have been looking up other threads for quite a while before opening a new one and have been unable to find anything useful in the case described below. Please excuse me if there IS any and this is a duplicate.

I use Windows XP Sp3 and PSI 2.0 tells me that two patches (KB 972270 & KB 982132) are missing.

Last PSI scan was Dec, 10th, but I installed both as a result of a previous scan on Dec. 7th., through the link provided in "Scan results".

The system created a system restore point upon installing both, and I have now a system restore point dated Dec, 7th, created after installing them both (20:44:06 for 982132 and 20:42:35 for 972270).

Therefore, I believe that (a) the patches are indeed installed, given the source that says so, and (b) that somehow PSI 2.0 fails to detect them as installed, at least as of today (Dec 11th).

What is the situation? How can I be sure about whether the patches are installed or not?. If they are, why PSI says otherwise?.

Thanks anyway

psicutrinius

Post "RE: PSI does not recognise installed patches (I think)" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI does not recognise installed patches (I think)
Handling Contributor 11th Dec, 2011 12:08
Score: 11830
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
It might not have registered correctly as an install. You can get a second opinion by using this:

MICROSOFT BASELINE SECURITY ANALYSER (MBSA)

If U are having difficulty confirming the status of Microsoft updates installed on your PC U may wish to install MBSA.

It scans a PC, highlights general security features that were checked, in particular missing Microsoft hot fixes (patches), with additional links to fixes or help lines.

Do not be put off by all the written hype about IT Professionals etc - it is easy to use & understand the results.

More details & the download link are here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc1849...

Update 1 23:32 25/01/2011

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
ddmarshall RE: PSI does not recognise installed patches (I think)
Dedicated Contributor 11th Dec, 2011 15:48
Score: 1212
User Since: 8th Nov 2008
System Score: 98%
The repeated reoffering of these two updates is a known side effect on Windows XP systems of using the workaround for the Duqu vulnerabilty, either manually or using Microsoft Fix it 50792. See the known issues sections in:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639658
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/adviso...

--
This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+3

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+