Forum Thread: "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings
Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 09:55
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Well - it's only 08:43 here and already I've had lots of excitement!

I had a call just now from a friendly man called 'Gordon'. He works for Microsoft - he said; he warned me about a terrible threat to my Windows operating system from nasties trying to access it by exploiting vulnerabilities. He was not Engish and he had terrible trouble pronouncing 'vulnerabilities'. To be honest, he had terrible trouble reading his script.

But he was a nice man - all I had to do was to sit at my PC and follow his instructions.

I struggled to contain my excitement! Maurice Joyce had already warned us about this threat so how should I tell 'Gordon' thanks but no thanks. Sadly I failed. I asked him if he was one of the nasties trying to break into my PC. His script didn't allow him to deal with my questions. I may then have been rather 'stern' and I suggested what he could do next.

When he rang back a few minutes later, I discovered that I was speaking in a strange accent. That confused him even more and he rang off! I imagine he or his colleagues, or his employers' computerised phone system will continue to ring me throughout the day. I lead such an exciting life!

The purpose of this story? To thank Maurice for his timely warning and to let others know that we still need to be on our guard.

In closing, thank you to all those who continue to help PC users in distress. May I also wish everyone - forum members and Secunia staff - all the very best for the coming celebrations.

May you all enjoy a happy and healthy 2012.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

Maurice Joyce RE: "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 10:25
Score: 12090
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1607 Build 14393.187
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
taffy078 RE: "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings
Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 11:25
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
System Score: 100%
thanks for that, Maurice.

It's a global issue, according to this: http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/06/16/fift...

I thought these were interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-...

http://mtaulty.com/CommunityServer/blogs/mike_taul...

A search on "fake phone calls from Microsoft" returns loads of such articles. It's hard to believe that telephone providers can't stop this at source. Perhaps they too must be making too much money from this.

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+13
Maurice Joyce RE: "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 11:44
Score: 12090
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
Good articles which should "sum it up" for everyone.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1607 Build 14393.187
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ddmarshall RE: "Microsoft" malicious calls / Season's Greetings
Dedicated Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 15:30
Score: 1250
User Since: 8th Nov 2008