xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
jckinnick Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts
Member 17th Dec, 2011 14:00
Ranking: 5
User Since: 21st May, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2011 14:13

Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet and when it does i get an error message that says "An error occurred while removing the Secunia PSi start up shortcut. I tried reinstalling and still get this message.

Maurice Joyce RE: Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 14:59
Score: 11630
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U have another thread active here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/118...

Is that problem solved?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
jckinnick RE: Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts
Member 17th Dec, 2011 15:27
Score: 5
User Since: 21st May 2010
on 17th Dec, 2011 14:59, Maurice Joyce wrote:
U have another thread active here:

Is that problem solved?

Yes as far as Silverlight but now its showing Google Chrome end of life, i think before ive just deleted that from the folder is that correct?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2011 19:04
Google - yes just delete the file.

Silverlight - Pleased to hear it is fixed. It is always a good idea to lock your threads once U are satisfied your problem is resolved. This prevents U from receiving emails from "tag on" posts which as an originator U cannot stop any other way.

It also assists the Forum helpers in that they are spared the process of reading an open thread only to find it has been fixed.

Can U please give a few more details on this current issue? Has it happened before? Is that the exact message U receive? Anything else that might help.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
jckinnick RE: Sometimes PSI will not connect to internet error message then starts
Member 18th Dec, 2011 06:06
on 17th Dec, 2011 19:04, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Google - yes just delete the file.

Silverlight - Pleased to hear it is fixed. It is always a good idea to lock your threads once U are satisfied your problem is resolved. This prevents U from receiving emails from "tag on" posts which as an originator U cannot stop any other way.

It also assists the Forum helpers in that they are spared the process of reading an open thread only to find it has been fixed.

Can U please give a few more details on this current issue? Has it happened before? Is that the exact message U receive? Anything else that might help.

"An error occurred while removing the Secunia PSi start up shortcut" is the exact message and then psi starts like normal and everything seems to be working ok besides that. Before it was timing out when trying to connect to the internet now i just get that message and then it starts.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Dec, 2011 10:51
I have seen this before - see here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...

To date I have not been able to reproduce the scenario that creates that error.

Do U use a Registry Cleaner/Fixer? If so:

a. Which one?
b. Did U allow it to run in the auto find/fix mode or are your deletions selective & stored in a backup location?

Are there any entries on this issue in Windows Event Viewer? Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Dec, 2011 19:39
on 18th Dec, 2011 10:51, Maurice Joyce wrote:
I have seen this before - see here:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/114...

To date I have not been able to reproduce the scenario that creates that error.

Do U use a Registry Cleaner/Fixer? If so:

a. Which one?
b. Did U allow it to run in the auto find/fix mode or are your deletions selective & stored in a backup location?

Are there any entries on this issue in Windows Event Viewer? Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer

I have 3 registry cleaners on my computer that i use from time to time.

CCleaner, Bitdefender, Advanced System Care

I use the autofix
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Dec, 2011 22:59
Last edited on 19th Dec, 2011 00:20
Thank you.

It looks like U are looking for a "needle in a haystack" trying to troubleshoot this issue if U have allowed a vendor to take charge of your PC & remove Registry items without vetting them first.

Sadly it cannot be ruled out that a cleaner did this - it is a typical type of message users get when things go wrong with them. Another typical case is here:

It appears an annoyance rather than earth shattering to the functioning of Windows and on that basis I would recommend doing nothing until your next full format of the C drive when the Windows OS will be properly reinstated.

At this stage I cannot really help further - if I ever find a solution I will publish it to the Forum.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 19th Dec, 2011 22:23
One other thing i didn't mention is that I had to fix the shortcut image because it was "x"Ed out.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability