Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
sqlcs Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Member 26th Dec, 2011 16:52
Ranking: 0
User Since: 18th Jan, 2009
System Score: 91%
Hi Secunia Support - and other users,

I just did the AU - auto-update - for my german installations of Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, and after the udpdate from (for both) 8.x to 9.0 both installations were changed from German to English!

Both were at version 8.x and the AU suggested to updfate them to the new 9.x., so I allowed PSI to update and the result was ... a changed installation language.

So for any users *not* running an Englisch operating system, I suggest to only use the update functionality of Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, but not use PSI to update them, until they report that this bug is fixed.

I must say that I did not expect that PSI simply runs the default english installer on top of a non-English installation.

Carsten

P.S.: exact the same happened on a 2nd PC here at home, which hat the same German Win 7 64 and German installations on both Mozilla FF + ThB.

pietzcker RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Member 27th Dec, 2011 10:10
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Dec 2011
System Score: N/A
I can confirm this behaviour; this happenend with three of the PCs I manage (especially annoying at my parents' and in-laws' PCs, where I rely on Secunia to keep their PCs up-to-date while I'm not around).

The problem as I see it: When Firefox/Thunderbird are up-to-date, their settings dialog in PSI does not allow setting a language. In fact, they are not even marked as "(AU)" like the other programs that PSI can auto-update. Only if PSI has detected a new version, but hasn't scheduled or installed it yet, you have a chance to set the correct language. But if you've set it to automatically download and install updates, you might miss that chance.

The workaround is to manually use FF to get the correct updates and hope to catch the next chance to set PSI to the correct language. I managed to do that in one of my in-laws' PCs, but for the rest it was manual downloads... Very annoying.

Tim
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Thor111 RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Member 28th Dec, 2011 09:44
Score: 4
User Since: 28th Dec 2011
Last edited on 28th Dec, 2011 11:11
This behaviour of PSI is being discussed since the beta versions of 2.0. It is very sad, that absolutely nothing has been done about this.

The behaviour is as follows:
1. Secunia defaults to English for auto updates, regardless of the system language of windows.
2. The user can only change the update language for an app for which auto update is supported when an update is pending.

Item 1 to me seems very strange, has been acknowledged as not desirable by Secunia support (Mr. Petersen) since the beta versions. How many people with other languages than English use Secunia PSI?

Item 2 now is very annoying. I have installed PSI on several PCs of family and friends (especially for users which would just miss the updates due to limited knowledge). Suddenly their versions of Thunderbird and Firefox turned to English. Especially the fact that it is only possible to configure the update language when an update is pending is very bad. Because the computer user would have to constantly monitor if an update is pending to just happen to hit a time when the autoupdate has not yet occurred to prevent the wrong language from being installed.

So what happens all the time after installation of PSI with auto-update? You basically have to wait for a time when auto-update installed the wrong language to recognize this, uninstall the program in that wrong language, install an older version of that program, let auto-update recognize the need for an update an then, only then, change the update language. I can't believe that this is still in place after one year of version 2.0.

I know that PSI is free for us to use and I am grateful for that, but please, listen to the users and fix this bug by design (both of them, but 2 with highest priority) in PSI.

Regards
Thorsten

Edit: fixed bold text
Edit2: your -> year ;-)
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 28th Dec, 2011 11:18
I just installed PSI on my father's new PC. As I indicated in the last posting, I tried to install firefox and thunderbird in older German versions 8.x. After some searching I found them on Mozilla's FTP server.

What happened? PSI recognized that I had older versions installed and showed the selection field for the update language. BUT! I only got offered default. No selection for German.

So now Secunia, please tell me how I can prevent Firefox and Thunderbird from being auto-updated in the wrong Language (English that is).

I am really tempted to try other programs instead of PSI due to this stu... bug.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th Dec, 2011 11:26
Another workaround would be the option to opt-out of auto-update for certain applications. That would permit to use auto-update where it is really helpful (Flash, etc.) and rely on the auto-update mechanisms of applications themselves when PSI just does not auto-update with the correct language.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
blue-ant RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Member 1st Jan, 2012 16:12
Score: 1
User Since: 19th Feb 2010
Changing the language has nothing to do with the AU update. Desactivate Secunia before updating Firefox or Thunderbird manually (built-in methode "Hilfe > Über...")

But still... changing the language is a heavy bug.

--
W7 64 bits
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Expert Contributor 1st Jan, 2012 18:02
Score: 2439
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 1st Jan, 2012 18:31
Hi ,

I always use Firefox's internal updater (the same goes for most other programmes) as this is accepted as the least hazardous approach ; but I do see the need for/useful side of "Auto-Updates" for the less experienced user .

A couple of points :-

1) outside of "A-U" the installer is always the international/english version whatever your default system ; as has been mentioned this is acknowledged by support as not ideal .

2) I have not tested it for language selection in Ff or other Mozilla stuff , but I have option four in Configuration->Settings selected :ie: "Prompt before running automatic program updates" . Perhaps this would allow language selection to display berfore the installer runs .

3) language selection "default" has always been English and not that of your system , as per 1) above .

While the PSI version 2.0 is work in progress and has not made available local language versions , I doubt you will get much change language problems wise , in the short term ; perhaps Support will appear tomorrow fulfilling their New Year Resolutions out of what is doubtlees a very long wish list .

Have a joyful New Year .

Anthony

EDIT : go here for all Ff versions :-

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

and then select systems & languages link underneath the main in staller link to see/get the latest version (9.0.1 atm) :-

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

Another EDIT : You can go to the Firefox "Tools" menu (top left of the open browser) -> Options -> Advanced -> Update and select the first (at least) of the first three options and the the fifth one "Automatically download and install the update" .This setting should help less experienced users .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Handling Contributor 2nd Jan, 2012 13:15
Score: 11738
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@blue-ant

As promised I have elevated this thread & your other one to the top of the Forum so that Secunia Support can easily see them.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2012 13:21
Thank you. Nice service. May the force be with us... ;)

--
W7 64 bits
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Jan, 2012 13:49
Thanks for the suggestions.

In the meantime I have checked and it is possible to disable auto-update per application. That would be a workaround for FF and TB. But this configuration is also available only when an auto-update is pending. Once more not too helpful.

I try to explain why I recommend to use PSI to other people (so far):
Especially users who have very little knowledge of PCs benefit from auto-update since they will have up to date applications without the need to act themselves.
For those people even a dialogue asking them if they would want PSI to update an application would sometimes be troubling and disturbing.

I can imagine that there is a long wish list for PSI but the "bug" that we are discussing here is something that should at least be on the topmost quarter of that list. And we don't mean necessarily localized versions of PSI but just PSI respecting the system settings with regard to application languages. That should not be too hard and would still allow for a single executable of PSI being distributed.
PSI already does know that applications come in different languages as we can experience if we hit this short time frame in which an update for a localized application is pending. I would hope that this final step is not too difficult.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Jan, 2012 14:33
on 2nd Jan, 2012 13:49, Thor111 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I can imagine that there is a long wish list for PSI but the "bug" that we are discussing here is something that should at least be on the topmost quarter of that list.

No, no, I'm not so modest. ;) PSI AU should respect the language settings of any programm. So please put that "bug" on top of your todo-list. :) :) :)

--
W7 64 bits
Was this reply relevant?
+1
This user no longer exists RE: Auto-Update changed language for Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird
Member 3rd Jan, 2012 10:29
Hi,

We are aware of the issue, and are internally discussing it as a potential bug.

We are unfortunately unable to give a deadline for when or if it might be fixed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2012 10:57
Doesn't matter as long as it get fixed this year. ;) :)

Take your time, we will wait anyway. :)

--
W7 64 bits
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Jan, 2012 20:03
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2012 20:05
on 3rd Jan, 2012 10:29, wrote:
Hi,

We are aware of the issue, and are internally discussing it as a potential bug.

We are unfortunately unable to give a deadline for when or if it might be fixed.

(bold format added by me to emphasize parts of the quote)

Thanks for providing an official comment on this issue.

However, I must admit that the bolded parts of your message are a bit disappointing to me. Sounds like up to now Secunia has no plans to fix this bug. Is there anything we users can do to put more weight behind this?

Edit: stupid typo fixed
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability