Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
poolguy windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1
Member 3rd Jan, 2012 07:13
Ranking: 2
User Since: 29th Dec, 2011
System Score: N/A
Every time I try to update security update for microsoft.net framework 1.1 , it fails the install. I tried automatic updates and manual updates and after 10 fails I need help. After hours of searching for fixes and retrying security service pack updates on office 2007 and anything else, it still comes back not installed. I installed the Vista 32 bit service pack 2 last week in hopes of taking care of each of these items. It fixed a few, but not this one. The 4 updates Microsoft.net framework 2.0., 3.5 and 4.0 also need this same (KB2572067) security patch also. The reason I am cleaning everything up and updating is to get rid of any bot infections on my computers of which all have up to date Norton AV showing them to be clean. But Comcast has knowledge that I don't, letting me know there is sporadic activity coming from my account.
The fact these features won't load leads me to believe it may be the one item I need to fix to put a stop to any bot activity. Here is the troubleshoot info from Secunia.
---START---

Program Name:

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

Missing Microsoft Patches (KB numbers):
KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspne t_wp.exe, version: 1.1.4322.2463

Last System Scan (localtime):
2. Jan 2012, 18:42

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

--
poolguy

poolguy RE: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1
Member 3rd Jan, 2012 08:06
Score: 2
User Since: 29th Dec 2011
Replying to my own post here... Looking at my other post last week, I thought it was closed but saw that "vulnerabilities" is the wrong forum for these type of questions and I need to move this over to Programs. Sorry once again.. I am also going to try the removal tools "fix" found on another thread to get rid of framework 1.1. I just need to know if that is where I start and do I reinstall microsoft.net framework 1.1 later or just leave it out and apply patches to 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0....

--
poolguy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2012 10:53
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Apply any Microsoft hot fixes that are available from Windows Update first.

Once complete reboot the run a full PSI scan.

What is now showing as vulnerable?

Please do not worry if U post to the wrong Sub Forum - either Secunia Support or I will move it for U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1
Expert Contributor 3rd Jan, 2012 10:59
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 3rd Jan, 2012 11:01
@poolguy

The following is a copy of Maurice Joyce's background to .NET problems which you might find helpful :-

.NET FRAMEWORK PROBLEMS
=======================

A bit of background information worth knowing before trying to fix .NET issues with Windows XP,Vista & Windows 7

1. .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 are all side-by-side versions that can be installed and uninstalled without affecting the others. This means that if you are running into an issue in .NET Framework 2.0, for example, you do not necessarily need to remove .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in addition to removing 2.0.

2. .NET Framework 3.0 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 to be present as a prerequisite. If you have .NET Framework 3.0 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.0.

3. .NET Framework 3.5 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or 2.0 SP1 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5.

4. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is an add-on that requires .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 to be present as prerequisites. If you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, you will not be allowed to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 or 2.0 SP2 until you first uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

.NET 1 & 1.1 are very old & it is highly unlikely U will have a programme that "calls" on it to work. It can be safely uninstalled in the knowledge that if it is later required they can be re installed as Standalone items.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

If you are having trouble installing .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5, I recommend trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. It will install .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 behind the scenes, and these versions contain additional fixes not in the original 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 releases. Plus, 3.5 SP1 will automatically uninstall any older versions of 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 that are on your system, so you can save some time by not trying to install a version of .NET Framework that 3.5 SP1 is going to uninstall during its install process.

Link is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...

The latest version of .NET framework 3 is different among the various versions of Windows.

Windows XP: V3.0.4506.2152
Windows Vista: V3.0.4506.4037
Windows 7: V3.0.4506.4926
There is a last resort but read the details before embarking on the action described.

NET FRAMEWORK CLEANUP TOOL FOR XP & VISTA

The link to a .Net Framework Clean Up Tool is here:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/12/02/uni...

I would STRONGLY advise U do not install .Net 4. MS will almost certain make this an OPTIONAL install.

If this post has solved your problem could you please select the ACCEPT option. This will lock the thread and stop you & I from receiving unnecessary update emails.

Revision 4--
Maurice

If it's of any further help/guidance..........I'm running Vista 32bit without .NET 1 and can't find the patch you mention either.

Regards,

Edit....post crossed with Maurice's !

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Handling Contributor 3rd Jan, 2012 11:35
@mogs

Not entirely sure my history lesson on .NET will solve this issue hence I did not use it in the first instance.

To avoid crossover issues (a 6 minute delay in this instance) I recommend preparing detailed replies in Notepad or NoteTab Standard/Professional & then checking the Forum before pasting to it.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 3rd Jan, 2012 11:47
@Maurice

Fair enough Maurice....I do already use Wordpad to prepare posts....but will take your advice and check the forum again before clicking Reply.

Have a good day.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2012 04:24
Thanks Maurice, I ran all of the fixes I could find that would load last night and then ran the full PSI with the same results. One particular item is this silverlight 4.0 which was okay last week after first running secunia, but has popped up again in the last few days . I had started with an 82% score and was able to get to 96% , even fixing Silverlight but with this new silverlight problem, I've dropped into 95 % rating . I will run the update to newest program through MS tonight to see if it gets rid of the vulnerable file portion.
A little history: After starting last week, I believe I was running on the security framework 2.0 before downloading Secunia and fixing all of the updates to finally load with the help of this secunia program. I didn't know it before thie Secunia download, but all along in the past, when the windows update would automatically run, the little popups saying some programs didn't update were ignored by me because I didn't think they were system security related. Anyway - Now I have the 3.0 and 4.0 updates and they are needing the security patch KB2572067 to load also which of course I can't do. Kind of funny that all of these program vulnerabilities need the same unloadable patch. Even Silverlight 4.0.
So now I will read through what you have given me tonight and see what I can do for a couple of hours before trying the removal tool.
Thanks again.
Here is a synopsis of all 5 programs Secunia PSI scan deemed vulnerable

---START---

Program Name:

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:

KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspne t_wp.exe, version: 1.1.4322.2463

3. Jan 2012, 01:21

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

---END---

---START---

Program Name:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:

KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspn et_wp.exe, version: 2.0.50727.4223

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

---END---

---START---

Program Name:
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:

KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\Windows Communication Foundation\SMSvcHost.exe, version: 3.0.4506.4037

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

---END---

---START---

Program Name:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:

KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SMSv cHost.exe, version: 4.0.30319.1

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

---END---

---START---

Program Name:
Microsoft Silverlight 4.x

Security State:
Insecure

Download Link:

KB2572067

Instances Found:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe, version: 4.0.60831.0

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista,

--
poolguy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
poolguy RE: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1 security update
Member 4th Jan, 2012 06:01
UPDATING my own reply. BTW - Thank you too , MOGS. Good repost. I read the framework info you gave me second hand from Maurice and it is starting to sink in a little at a time.
Tonight - I got rid of the silverlight 4.0 and installed new version. Everythings good with that now. I'm up to 96% again with the 4 remaining net frameworks needing the patch to update. In the meantime, I am educating myself on the microsoft.net frameworks in hopes of understanding what I'm doing. I learned that the potential problems with security issues involved with not having the patch sounds like my problem with a .bot . High CPU usage have been an unexplained problem for some time now and that is a vulnerable framework exploit hallmark.
Questions:
Can I uninstall microsoft.net framework 1.1 through the control panel uninstall process without damaging the rest? It sounds like the 32 bit vista SP2 home premium system is dependant on the 2.0 , 3.0 and 4.0.
Can I get the name of the exact program to open for fixing the framework? There seems to be a number of them.
And last - In Control Panel; I am seeing frameworks 1.1, 3.5 and 4.0, but in the secunia PSI report, I am seeing 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. Can you tell me what that means?

--
poolguy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Jan, 2012 06:29
Last post for me tonight:
I looked at the Raymond.cc site and think I'll go ahead with his automated Framework cleanup program tomorrow. I need to do some end of year business on this computer first though and I'd hate to have it malfunction. The computer really runs rather well. It just needs these updates for security. Here is my system info from Raymond.cc's framework checker program:
<32Bit>
->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
->C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

< Installed .NET Frameworks >
.NET FW 1.1 SP 1
.NET FW 2.0 SP 2
.NET FW 3.0 SP 2
.NET FW 3.5 SP 1
.NET FW 4.0 Client
Thanks......

--
poolguy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Jan, 2012 10:54
Pleased to see U are progressing well. I will unsubscribe & leave the rest to @mogs to save further double entries.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 6th Jan, 2012 23:52
@poolguy

Have been unable to get here for the last 4/5 days....server problem I think...all working okay at the moment.
Having just picked up on this thread....tho' Maurice is far more able.....I can only give you the following info which may be of some help.....gotten from Maurice in the first place no doubt !
Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/3...

I note that on my Vista 32bit set-up,
only MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and 4 Client Profile show up in Control Panel.......whilst in the Scan Results psi :-
2.0 50727 4223
3.0 4506 4037
4.0 30319.1

Hope you are continuing to progress and/or the foregoing is something to look at.

Regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 11th Jan, 2012 01:11
Mogs;
Thanks for the help. The link to the dotfix download was the fix. I've been scared to run the net.framework fix not knowing what it might do, but it went extremely smooth and once done, I reloaded security patches and with a lot of reloading and rescanning, I was finally able in the last hour to reach the 100% secunia level and the heretofore un-updatable patches went through. I think I lost net.framework 4.0 along with the intended version of 1.1 I wanted rid of and it looks like I kept 2.0 and 3.0 . My ensuing next weeks work with programs that use them will tell if everything is OK. I'm just happy to have closed a gap in the security.
On that note; if you are knowledgeable in this, or can direct me to a good link of someone who can; can you tell me if a .bot infection would be shut off from operating through my computer if I am running 100% on security updates? I have tons of security on my computers and this seemed to be the only looose end or entry point on any of them. All of the AV programs I run and all of the scanners are telling me there is no problem, but I have my ISP Comcast telling me I had some bot activity over a week ago.
Thanks again...

--
poolguy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: windows update won't load microsoft.net framework 1.1
Member 11th Jan, 2012 02:36
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Comcast Bot Assistance
http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/botassist...

Bleeping Computer Am I infected?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.ht...

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+