Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: End Of Life Kaspersky

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Kaspersky Labs
And, this specific program:
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
PRSONO9 End Of Life Kaspersky
Member 7th Jan, 2012 12:55
Ranking: -1
User Since: 7th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
I apologise if I am in the wrong forum however this is my first posting. I receive Kaspersky 6.0.2.678 free as part of my ISP package. Secunia scan recently flagged this program as end of life and as I receive it for free I cannot install a solution to the problem other than purchasing a newer version. I have re-scanned Kaspersky after after running updates but still shows end of life. I have contacted Kaspersky Labs and they basically gave me the runaround and told me to contact Kaspersky support. I am using windows xp OS. Is this program insecure? Can I do anything about it.?

Post "RE: End Of Life Kaspersky" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: End Of Life Kaspersky
Expert Contributor 7th Jan, 2012 13:24
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@PRSON09

Hello.
Did you reboot after updating Kaspersky, before carrying out a FULL psi scan.....or did you only carry out a program scan ? A full scan is often found to be more reliable.
A copy of the Advisory as follows shows no vulnerability if fully patched :-

Vulnerability Report: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.x
This vulnerability report for Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.x contains a complete overview of all Secunia advisories affecting it. You can use this vulnerability report to ensure that you are aware of all vulnerabilities, both patched and unpatched, affecting this product allowing you to take the necessary precautions.

If you have information about a new or an existing vulnerability in Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.x then you are more than welcome to contact us.

Table of Contents

1. Product Summary Only

2. Secunia Advisory Statistics (All time)
2.1. Statistics for 2012
2.2. Statistics for 2011
2.3. Statistics for 2010
2.4. Statistics for 2009
2.5. Statistics for 2008
2.6. Statistics for 2007
2.7. Statistics for 2006
2.8. Statistics for 2005
2.9. Statistics for 2004
2.10. Statistics for 2003

3. List of Secunia Advisories (All time)
3.1. List for 2012
3.2. List for 2011
3.3. List for 2010
3.4. List for 2009
3.5. List for 2008
3.6. List for 2007
3.7. List for 2006
3.8. List for 2005
3.9. List for 2004
3.10. List for 2003

4. Send Feedback

Vendor, Links, and Unpatched Vulnerabilities

Vendor Kaspersky Labs

Product Link View Here (Link to external site)

Affected By 7 Secunia advisories
23 Vulnerabilities

Monitor Product Receive alerts for this product

Unpatched 0% (0 of 7 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied..
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/10470/

Hope it helps........regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
PRSONO9 RE: End Of Life Kaspersky
Member 7th Jan, 2012 15:56
Score: -1
User Since: 7th Jan 2012
Last edited on 7th Jan, 2012 15:59
Many thanks for your reply. I had only done a program scan however I did a program update a full scan, rebooted and another full scan and it still comes up as "end of life". In the meantime I have managed to get an automated reply from Kaspersky support so will wait and see if they have any ideas. Excuse my ignorance but how do I patch Kaspersky or know if it has been properly patched? All I do is updates does patching come via an update?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: End Of Life Kaspersky
Expert Contributor 7th Jan, 2012 17:56
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Patching means updating with security fixes. Not all updates fix holes in security aspects of programs. Secunia psi is solely concerned with updates that keep a program secure.
Sometimes, therefore you may come across updates that psi seems to miss.....those updates are usually "cosmetic" fixes which do nothing to improve the security of the program.
So patching is the fixing of vulnerabilities with available security updates. I hope that is clear enough for you....if not....please ask.
By the way.....End of Life means that the vendor has ceased support for a program.....I'm not sure.....but it may be perhaps that if you have the program fully updated it is still secure.....but will not receive any further support. Let's see what info you get from Kaspersky.
Hope this is of help.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Jan, 2012 11:08
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2012 11:09
Kaspersky passed me on to Net Intelligence.com who then gave me the following reply.

Hello

Our records show that your antivirus was updated via our servers yesterday and
is not due to expire until February although the license will renew
automatically. Please ignore any warnings given to you by 3rd party
applications.
--
Kind regards,

Chris Durnion
Netintelligence Support team.

Many thanks for the help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: End Of Life Kaspersky
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2012 12:48
Score: 11736
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2012 12:51
I do not know what question U asked Kaspersky or NetIntelligence but the answer U received looks very flippant to me bearing in mind U use this programme as your main source of protection.

Secunia PSI has informed U that the version of Kaspersky installed on your PC is End of Life. That looks to be absolutely correct in that it appears U have version 2006 installed.

PSI is not telling U it is insecure or vulnerable.

The answer U got back from NetIntelligence refers to the updating of your virus & other definitions - this is irrelevant in regards to the version number of the product.

BT use a similar system to your ISP in that part of the Broadband Package includes Internet Security. It suffers from the same problem - the product version is always years behind the last version therefore users are not getting the latest enhancements. As a BT user I do not use their offering of protection & have got my own.

I assume,like BT, U pay your monthly broadband subscription to your ISP. If that is the case THEY are responsible for this "problem" not NetIntelligence who appear to be an agency or Kaspersky who are the prime vendor & rightly are not interested.

I certainly would be asking these questions:

Your ISP.

1. From my monthly subscriptions it appears I am being offered an End of Life version of Kaspersky anti virus. What plans have U got to update it to version 2012 with all the latest enhancements?

2. I contacted Kaspersky about my version number & they told me to contact NetIntelligence. What is the relationship between U,Kaspersky & NetIntelligence? Surely U are responsible for this aspect?

For NetIntelligence.

1. Secunia are a leading International Company on PC Security. They are clearly stating from the meta data on my PC that the version of Kaspersky being offered is End of Life. This means that all mainline support for this product has ended & I should not expect to receive any future vulnerability updates or bug fixes or programme enhancements.

2. I note your comment about ignoring advice from third party programmes. Could U please subscribe to this thread on the Secunia Forum & give the technical details why their advice should be ignored? U could for example state U have taken over responsibility from Kaspersky in fixing any future vulnerabilities.

Their experts can then comment allowing me to decide what to do.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/119...

3. If the programme is the latest version why has the meta data on the main exe file not been updated to reflect this?

I am assuming this is the details of NetIntelligence?

http://xma.uha.netintelligence.com/support.php

Purely a personal matter on what U do but I would not be satisfied with the answers received to date. I note your Kaspersky programme fee is due in February. That could mean your current contract with your ISP runs out at the same time? If that is the case U have the option to demand a MAC number & migrate to a new ISP if U do not get satisfaction.

I have no objection to U cutting & pasting this post & using it with any correspondence to your ISP & NetIntelligence if U wish to take the matter further.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 10th Jan, 2012 19:05
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2012 19:09
Yes you are right it is just a flippant go away answer. I did not contact my ISP about this problem as I had a question about Kaspersky when I first subscribed to the Post Office and they simply said "oh we have nothing to do with Kaspersky, we will give you their phone number."
Yes it is Kaspersky version 6.0.2.678. which is pretty old. I will certainly follow your advice and pursue my query with my ISP (Post Office) and Net Intelligence. In fact I will e-mail your comments to them as I am sure they will not respond in any detail to me over the telephone. It may take a few days but I will get back with their response. Oh by the way my broadband/phone subscription runs out in September. Kaspersky only update the licence every 6 weeks or so. They just don't seem to want to give me a licence which expires on the same date of my broadband package.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Jan, 2012 19:43
If I understand your posts to date U pay for Kaspersky as part of your monthly payment to The Post Office?

If that is the case THEY are responsible unless they are exempt (which they are not) from the Sales of Goods Act. They are also responsible for your broadband although the actual telephone line or FTTC belongs to BT.

Looks a bit like U are being given the "runaround".

If U want to look up more about broadband in the UK an excellent site is here:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/postoffice.html

As stated I am not convinced it has anything to do with Kaspersky - Looks like The Post Office are renting Kaspersky licences via NetIntelligence who appear to be "the middle man".

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 10th Jan, 2012 20:16
Last edited on 10th Jan, 2012 20:20
Yes it looks like they simply want me to stop pursuing this. Yes i receive Kaspersky free as part of my broadband/phone package. I have great confidence in Secunia. They give me quick warning, advice and solutions. No doubt they will pay more attention after sending Net Intelligence and the Post Office detailed questions. The point I originally made to Kaspersky and then with Net Intelligence was to point out what Secunia was flagging. I also pointed out that patching to Kaspersky 9 as Secunia point out would secure the program. I wonder if some staff who you e-mail are qualified to understand or answer these queries. The simply say "ah 3rd party tell the customer to ignore it".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2012 19:14
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2012 19:18
This is the latest e-mail I have received from the Post Office support team. At least they would now appear to be addressing the problem. Is their assessment of the problem likely to be correct? If it was simply a case of uninstalling Kaspersky from my PC and downloading it again and re-installing it you would think that NetIntelligence would have informed me of any upgraded Kaspersky instead of telling me to ignore 3rd parties. Will keep updating more news.

Dear Mr James Moffat,
> Thank you for contacting the Post OfficeR
> Broadband Technical Support Help Desk. I am sorry to hear that you are
> experiencing a problem with your Post OfficeR Broadband Anti-Virus Service
> but thank you for supplying the information that we required to access your
> account.
>
> On reviewing the detailed information you have kindly provided below I can
> see a number of issues which need to be examined further. Firstly, what
> Operating System are you currently using on your Personal Computer or
> Laptop?
>
> I am surprised to see that your NetIntelligence System has not auto-updated
> Kaspersky to its latest version. This may imply that an error or disk
> fragmentation on your computer may have prevented the system from
> auto-updating to the more up-to-date Kaspersky. We will be more than happy
> to assist you further with rectifying this problem but it will involve a
> simple but lengthy process of uninstalling the faulty NetIntelligence and
> Kaspersky Systems and reinstalling the up-to-date versions from our
> MyPostOffice.co.uk Self Care Portal.
>
> Once you have replied informing us of which Operating System you are using
> we will be able to advise you further.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
> Post OfficeR HomePhone & Broadband Technical Advisor
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 21:00
At least The Post Office has taken responsibility to sort it out.

I suspect NetIntelligence are just a licence agency. If that is the case, what they would know about the workings of Kaspersky or PC security could be written on the back of a postage stamp (no pun intended).

Looks like your challenge is paying off.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

victorwilson

RE: End Of Life Kaspersky
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 18th Jan, 2012 13:40
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2012 14:20
Followed their (Post Office) advice and was walked through a new installation (allegedly bug free which would solve the problem) by one of the support team. It made no difference. Secunia still flagged it as "end of life". No mention was made to installing a new Net Intelligence as indicated on the e-mail from the support team, only a new Kaspersky. I completely cleaned the computer of any remnants of Kaspersky and did a full scan with Secunia which came up 100% clean (-Kaspersky of course), ran a search and did a registry scan for anything Kaspersky and finally downloaded Kaspersky again and re-installed again! Once installed I re-booted and did a complete scan with Secunia so it would pick up the new Kaspersky. It did with the same results "end of life". I think all they have done is have me install the same version 6.0.2.678 in the hope that something would change. So I have once again e-mailed the Post Office support team with the following message.

Today I followed the advice given and followed instructions given by one of the support team. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. In fact I did this proceedure of downloading Kaspersky again and re-installed the program but still it is being flagged by Secunia PSI as "end of life". I did mention that Secunia PSI recommended patching to at least Kaspersky 9 would solve the problem however I notice that although I was assured that "bugs" in Kaspersky 6 would correct the problem all I seem to have done is download the same version that was already installed on the computer. Re-installing the same program has not solved the problem. What is needed is a newer version of Kaspersky. I await your comments and advice.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Jan, 2012 16:12
I suspect The Post Office like NetIntelligence do not know/understand the difference between a PROGRAMME VERSION UPGRADE & PROGRAMME ANTI VIRAL DEFINITION UPDATES.

Thank you for the update.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Jan, 2012 15:52
Last edited on 19th Jan, 2012 17:20
Looks like the penny finally dropped. Received an e-mail from the Post Office support team with a link to download Kaspersky 2010 version 9.0.0.736. I have now installed this and run a scan with Secunia and been given the all clear 100% score.
Many thanks for all the help. Why they didn't upgrade me long ago I don't know but if it had not been for Secunia picking up the problem and members help then I would be none the wiser.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 19th Jan, 2012 17:38
Please to see U have got it all sorted.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability