Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google chrome

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
JoTrust Google chrome
Member 15th Jan, 2012 05:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
Maurice has suggested since Chrome still shows up when I run Secunia that even thought I deleted it it is still on my computer. I just installed Revo uninstaller that lists every program installed on my computer. the only thing google is the tool bar. I have the tool bar on this computer and do not have Chrome on this computer and Secunia is working just fine. I did uninstall Chrome, I turned OFF my computer and restarted it at least 2 times. I then uninstalled Secunia and again turned if off and rebooted at least twice. I reinstalled Secunia and I still get the same message. I would appreciate any help you can provide, I have been trying to get this fixed all day!

Thanks so much

--
Thank you Jo

mogs RE: Google chrome
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 06:10
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
Secunia doesn't just "say" there's a vulnerability.....it provides the file path to it :-
psi version 2.0

Go to Results from the Dashboard
1/. Click on the + sign alongside the file.
2/. This will reveal the file path.
3/. Post the info back to the forum if uncertain how best to proceed.

That is why the Troubleshoot Report is helpful to helpers.

Tho' you may have deleted a file/program.....psi may still detect an old associated file.....which is what seems to have happened for you.
Chrome always leaves behind the older file/version whenever updated....it needs deleting manually :-
Deletion of an entry.

To delete a vulnerable file or folder using PSI 2 :

1. Open psi and go to Scan Results.

2. Alongside the vulnerable prog. is a "+" sign.

Clicking on that will reveal Detected Instances..

3. Below, are two yellow folders. Click the one without a red dot.
It will open Windows Explorer and you will be able to view the vulnerable files/folders.

4. Right click and delete.
Perform a full scan to confirm all in order.

Stable Channel Update
Thursday, January 5, 2012 | 18:00
Labels: Stable updates
The Stable channel has been updated to 16.0.912.75 for Windows, Mac, Linux and Chrome Frame

As you now have no Chrome present you will need to install afresh....the current Stable version is that shown above. Normally it is a simple matter to update Chrome....click on the wrench icon ( top right of Chrome ) and then About Google Chrome.
Hope the foregoing is of some help.......regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 06:57
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2012 07:10
Just a thought......what you could try if you wish; to make sure old Chrome files/registry entries are cleared out.....install a version of Chrome that Revo will then detect.....then uninstall it with Revo at the Advanced level.....it will then check for all old and associated entries.
Run a full psi scan to confirm as clear, and then re-install the current version of Chrome.

Edit........
What I find a little perturbing is how Chrome was let lag behind so far in version updates.....as it will silently install them even if you don't update by clicking on the Wrench icon.....oops....I've just remembered.....you've probably got Google update disabled ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: Google chrome
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 12:04
Score: 2437
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Mogs ,

The file appears to be located in a Chrome FRAME location : on my PC the file path is to ..\Chrome Frame\Application\... and the .exe file ; the PSI open folder link opens with "Application" blue highlighted and the version number(s) underneath .

I have version 16.0.912.75(Business) as the latest version .

Chrome Frame is a BHO module for IE ; it should update automatically and the auto updater "normally" cannot be trurned off for either Frame or the browser .

It needs to be unistalled from IE , if not already and/or the left over .ddl found . It is unlikely to pose much of a risk as old .dll's are "technically" not active ; but we are talking IE , so best be secure .

Installing or uninstalling Chrome browser has absolutely nothing to do with the problem .

Busy today ; will check back tomorrow if possible .

Back to you .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 12:41
Last edited on 15th Jan, 2012 13:02
@Anthony......thanks very much.....I see what you're saying....but have not seen Frame shown as regards the file path from the user.
Obviously, if that is the case, you are more familiar with the procedure regarding.....Hopefully the user will see your post....I hope my eyesight isn't deteriorating !!!
Edit..........
The users posts seem to be shifting !! Just found mention of Frame here :-
15th Jan, 2012 01:17
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Jan 2012
I followed your directions I am using Windows 7, when I clicked on it to open in windows explorer I got a long list of names the one that was highlighted was chrome_frame_helper, there was nothing listed in program files under the c drive even if I clicked on the above helper. It said I had a file open and to close it I have no idea what I have open and I am really frustrated. Not only does my game icon no longer show correctly but now another program's icon also doesn't show correctly. Had I not done the 2 updates that secunia said I needed to do I wouldn't have this problem, not your fault but I have been working on this issue for 9 hours so excuse my being a bit short

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
JoTrust RE: Google chrome
Member 15th Jan, 2012 17:58
Good Morning,

I did as you said clicked on the file without the red dot. A long list of files pops up. I am unsure of what to deleted. I deleted something yesterday that damaged some of my icons on my task bar so want to make sure I delete the correct ones. I never asked to have Chrome installed on my computer. This is a new Dell laptop and I am thinking they put it on. I want it gone for good!

Thanks

--
Thank you Jo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Jan, 2012 18:01
C;\Program Files (x86) Google\Chrome\Application\12.0.742.100Chrome.dll ,version 12.0.742.100 (Business)

--
Thank you Jo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jan, 2012 17:45
For some unknown reason Google Chrome did not show up when I clicked on program files (the envelope without the red) last week. Today I found tons of stuff that said Google Chrome even though when I did a program search google chrome wasn't listed. So I deleted the files one by one and viola I now have a green icon for secunia:) For some reason I must have clicked to ignore a program (game) and I don't want to ignore that how can I reset it can't find how?

--
Thank you Jo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Google chrome
Handling Contributor 20th Jan, 2012 20:40
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Open PSI>Dashboard>Configuration>click the Ignore Rule tab

U should see the entry>right click on it & select delete.

Pleased U have sorted out the other problem too. Sadly Anthony appears very busy elsewhere at the moment & he really is/was the best person to help U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 20th Jan, 2012 20:56
Oh great got one problem solved now got another. When I deleted the ignore rule the adobe issue came back. I have downloaded the latest version from Adobe now it says I can't install it again! Guess I will wait til my IT people look at this next week what a giant pain

--
Thank you Jo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Jan, 2012 21:09
Maurice I just fixed the game issue with adobe:) so no need to reply:)

--
Thank you Jo
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Google chrome
Handling Contributor 20th Jan, 2012 21:33
Score: 11710
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 21st Jan, 2012 22:28
Jo,
I take it U are now all fixed up?

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U in a few hours time unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

EDIT:
Thread locked at: 21:27 21/01/2012

If required, this thread can be reopened for the originator by contacting Secunia Support at: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability