Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
DRobison Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs
Member 15th Jan, 2012 09:45
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Jan, 2012
System Score: N/A
First of all, many thanks for providing a very useful tool. My apologies if this topic has been covered before, but I didn’t see it being discussed.

I find the Secunia score a bit misleading since 100% does not mean everything on my PC has been checked. At a minimum, it would be nice if the message in Scan Results clarified what 100% meant. For example, you could add: The list includes only those programs from PSI’s database of known programs that appeared in the scanned folders on your computer. You can improve PSI by requesting that these additional programs residing on your computer be added to the database. See … for instructions.

Even better would be if PSI listed the “unknown” programs (perhaps just the “unknown” exe files), identified their full path, and provided a link to request individual programs be added to the database. Doing this would mean I’d at least know what wasn’t checked, and that I could more easily decide which ones to report to Secunia (as opposed to manually searching for them). Since some programs cannot be monitored by PSI (e.g., they have names that change with each release), it would be useful if the list identified programs that had already been reported and indicated the status (i.e., Submitted, Review in Progress, Accepted for Addition, Rejected, etc.). Providing this status would help prevent duplicate requests to add the program.

The main goal would be to make sure all the programs on the computer were addressed in some way so that I could assess the risk of having some programs that were not verified as being current. Hopefully Control Panel’s add/remove programs list would be a proper subset of what Secunia reported.

Thanks for the consideration.

mogs RE: Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 10:32
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@DRobison

Hello.
The psi already has a Suggest a Program feature.....see Scan Results page, just above Install Solution.
File info. required to suggest a program

"Are you missing a Program?" feature.
Browse and select a file in Windows Explorer that is acceptable for meta data tracking.

Try to find an exe/ ocx or dll file that has a version number attached .

Best is the main exe file....right click on it/select properties/look at the details tab which should have a clear version number. That is the file Secunia are looking for.

The 100% result figure covers all those programs put forward for monitoring......and found to be secure.....but does not include any Beta/Dev versions of programs. Psi is only concerned with Security related updates....it is not a general updater.

Hope the foregoing goes some way towards helping........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
DRobison RE: Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs
Member 15th Jan, 2012 10:46
Score: 0
User Since: 15th Jan 2012
Thanks for the quick response, but perhaps my post wasn't clear. I know that I can find a program on my own and ask to have it added to the database. Once I compared Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list to what was in the scan report and submitted requests to add about ten programs, many of which were added. I'm keeping track of the rejections so the next time I do the compare I don't resubmit the ones that would be rejected.

My suggestion was to have PSI identify the exe files on my computer, but not in PSI's database so I didn't have to do it manually. Then I'd have a list to go through and I'd get a "warm fuzzy" that I didn't miss a program such as a portable program that never goes into Control Panel's Add/Remove list. I figure PSI already finds all the exe files and just ignores the ones not in its database. If that's true, all PSI has to do is list the ones not in the database so I know what they are.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs
Expert Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 11:04
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
It's possible Support may have something to add, if they pick up on this thread, and your suggestion, tomorrow.
Psi 2.0 did however go thro' a thorough and vigorous Beta trial period during which time all manner of suggestions were given very attentive consideration.....personally ( I may be wrong ) but I don't think too much change in that area is in the offing. It also might be the case that many psi users would not want "other programs" listed. Remembering all the time that psi is a free program : the need to concentrate resources is focussed very much on those progs that can be well monitored. I hope I'm not seeming negative.....discussion is always welcomed on the forum........regards,

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Improvment Suggestion: Identify Unknown Programs
Handling Contributor 15th Jan, 2012 11:14
Score: 11865
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U are asking for a major feature change. Best U follow the Secunia advice from the FAQ.

How can I suggest a feature or report an error in the Secunia PSI?

For all feature requests or error inquiries, please submit your suggestions or error reports to support@secunia.com (including screenshots, whenever possible).

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+