xSI
Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: negative scoring in the Vulnerabilities section.

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Open Discussions

This thread has been marked as locked.
taffy078 negative scoring in the Vulnerabilities section.
Contributor 21st Feb, 2012 08:39
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: 100%
Last edited on 21st Feb, 2012 08:40

Yes - it's me again, going on about the crazy system whereby a new member can read a post by Secunia about a vulnerability, post a legitimate question and then get zapped by the trigger-happy "points police".

It's happened again here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/113...

Judging by what has happened before, Mogs can expect to be zapped for trying to point liqeia in the right direction. ;o)

Some of us have been suggesting for ages that members are prevented from posting there or at least that there should be a 'sticky at the top of the section.
How on earth are new members supposted to know that they shouldn't post here?

It's no good telling them AFTERWARDS that they did something wrong and would now lose points. That's not the way to encourage new members, nor is it the way to help users. In the real world, any company treating "customers" like that would quickly go bust.

And what if some these new members are businessmen? Pernalising and/or angering them like this could lose Secunia a sale.

Even my post noting that I had posted twice got zapped by the "points police".

Solution? Whenever the Secunia team open a new thread in the Vulnerablilities section, they should immediately lock it. That would stop all this blasted nonsense.

I'm sure that this solution is technically feasible and it would cost Secunia nothing.

Does anyone agree?

editted to correct an 'embolden' error on my part

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003

taffy078 RE: negative scoring in the Vulnerabilities section.
Contributor 21st Feb, 2012 14:02
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
An apology. I had discussed this with an IT friend before posting it. He's just told me that I have given the wrong impression so here we go again:

This is not about an individual's score - it is not about my score.

My sole reason for posting on this subject yet again is that yet again, the forum has lost new members because of the Vulnerabilities problem.

We have lost new members every time that they have lost points for stumbling through an Open door - there's no 'Do Not Enter' sign. The only reason that regulars know not to go into the Vulnerabilities section is because of lots of previous problems.

Everywhere else in the Forum we see regular evidence of the fantastic help that Secunia and its members give on an almost 24/7 basis. That help has earned Secunia a brilliant reputation and must have played at least a small part in the considerable business success of the company.

As I say in my thread, all it needs is for a business owner to be treated like some of those newbies have been and Secunia could lose a new CSI client.

Does no-one agree? :o(

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

Desktop: Compaq Presario (OEM) 32 bit / AMD Athlon / 2 GB RAM
XP Home - SP3/ IE8/ Norton IS - Secunia PSI v2.0.0.3003

Laptop: Win 7 / IE11 / PSI v2.0.0.3003
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: negative scoring in the Vulnerabilities section.
Expert Contributor 21st Feb, 2012 14:25
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@taffy

I agree with the spirit of your post taff !

Even the intro at the top of each Vulnerabilities thread is misleading....more so to a new user.
Copy as follows example :-

Forum Thread: Sun Java JRE Insecure Executable Loading Vulnerability
You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Vulnerabilities

See the original Secunia advisory:
Sun Java JRE Insecure Executable Loading Vulnerability

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability