Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
ambullock77 PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 29th Feb, 2012 00:06
Ranking: 0
User Since: 14th Sep, 2011
System Score: 99%
Last edited on 29th Feb, 2012 00:07

I understand that Secunia wants to make PSI easier to use for the average user but the interface is too simple with its one button only design. I feel safer when I can see a list of all of my patched/unpatched programs and can configure the programs settings.

Also, I am using XP home sp3 and when I restart my computer the PSI 3 icon does not turn green making me wonder if it is still working correctly. I don't want to have to do a scan everytime I restart my machine to make sure PSI is working like it should.

I think I am going to switch back to the previous version until PSI 3 is not in beta anymore.
PLEASE add an advanced feature before taking PSI 3 out of beta. Thank you.

Andrew Bullock
ambullock77@gmail.com

jimayo RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 29th Feb, 2012 00:16
Score: 22
User Since: 8th Sep 2010
System Score: N/A
I agree. I like control over my system, especially updates. I liked the way PSI 2 gave me all the information.

Jim
Was this reply relevant?
+11
nursoda RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 29th Feb, 2012 09:07
Score: 3
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Full ACK.

For aunt Sally PSI 3 in fully automatic mode is the right (if it manages to update to the correct localized versions which did not always work as expected in PSI 2 resulting in a "support call" due to a suddenly english Firefox or Thunderbird).

But for advanced users (yes, they also have privately used computers - and most important - often manage friend/family computers aswell) an option to configure PSI would be nice. In my opinion, this does not necessarily require a GUI if that's too much for a free tool (THANKS, guys!) - a link to a website explaining command line switches or a config file format would be sufficient (given the nature of the request to put "experts" in the position to be able to control PSI). But I second the other posters: the PSI 2 expert/advanced GUI (doubleclick etc) was very nice and comprehensive.

Apart from preferring to just scan and manually update myself, I don't like the tray icon to linger around all time. I liked the possibility in PSI 2 to start the program (ignoring the tray app) and close it after a scan (automatically closing the tray). Such "features" could be easily added as command line switch.

While you're at it, please also make an affordable paid version available for SME. I repeat what I said talking to your sales earlier: I'd be happy to pay for PSI th be allowed to use it on my business computer aswell - ad so would some of my customers! But CSI starting at 2000/year is not a fair price e.g. for freelancers with just one computer.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
IcI Yes please!
Member 29th Feb, 2012 10:19
Score: 8
User Since: 13th Jan 2010
Knowing what is up to date is just as important as knowing what is not.
How else would I know that you've missed a new app that I've got installed.

I too like the control of manually updating when I choose to.

Please provide the Advanced button again. That will also give me the chance to link my community profile with my PC.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
CTaylor RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 29th Feb, 2012 23:47
Score: 32
User Since: 16th Oct 2010
I agree 100% !!!

I am fine with the current interface as an option. But I absolutely want the ability to see all my installed programs, their state and have the ability to just do updates manually under my control.

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+5
colebantam RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 2nd Mar, 2012 12:43
Score: 7
User Since: 23rd Apr 2010
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2012 12:53
Vote me in!

Noobs will like PSI3, Pro's will hate it. Please deliver an advanced view (and custom Installation Option) for PSI3, OR continue to support PSI2.

2nd Edit: PSI3 just said my system is 100% ok, but the speed of the scan makes me believing, it only scans system-partition. I have loads of apps on an other partition, so PSI in the current state will never identify security risks there for me :(

3rd Edit: PSI2 just found 2 outdated Mozilla-Apps on the same system, that PSI3 just declared "100% safe".

Claus
Salzburg / Austria
Was this reply relevant?
+7
rsand RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 3rd Mar, 2012 18:30
Score: 9
User Since: 3rd Mar 2012
I really like the idea of PSI, and have used it since December 2010, but I find the current 3.0 beta unacceptable. I think that an advanced option might be acceptable, but only if it provides access to detailed status information and control similar to what we already have in version 2.

Without being able to see and control the status of what's being done, I'm not interested in PSI. In fact, in its current state, 3.0 is not really an "Inspector"--it's more like an idiot light on your car's dashboard, meant to reassure you, not to give you any real information or control over what's happening.

I've already reverted to version 2, and am planning on staying there until 3 is ready for (my) primetime, or until Secunia stops supporting it. If they do the later, I guess I'll have to either revert to manual mode (undesireable), or find some similar utility...

Was this reply relevant?
+9
Salihb RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 3rd Mar, 2012 19:02
Score: 8
User Since: 8th Jan 2009
Indeed, this beta is a JOKE. It looks like a ripoff of Heimdal Agent from CSIS.
I think it's so awesome that you wish to make it as easy as possible. You are really trying to make non-IT-savvy people update their pc's, but SERIOUSLY you have alot of advanced users! It makes me so frustrated that i cant see any settings... I almost broke my keyboard, how can a piece of software have NO settings!?
Was this reply relevant?
+8
Fabiow RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 6th Mar, 2012 00:12
Score: 5
User Since: 24th Jul 2009
Fully agree. I need to see installed programs and file paths. Some customization of settings would also be useful.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
This user no longer exists RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 6th Mar, 2012 09:10
Hi,

Thank you all for your feedback.

Your comments and concerns will be taken into consideration when the responsible people consider the direction of the PSI.

Thank you for caring about the quality of Secunias products.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
rc primak RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 6th Mar, 2012 10:11
Score: 12
User Since: 6th Dec 2008
System Score: 95%
Last edited on 6th Mar, 2012 10:24
on 29th Feb, 2012 00:16, jimayo wrote:
I agree. I like control over my system, especially updates. I liked the way PSI 2 gave me all the information.

Jim

Jim, it's worse than you or the OP have stated:

Secunia PSI 3 Beta is Worse than Useless! It exposes users to security threats.

I suggest you folks at Secunia should come out with a Professional Version of PSI 3.0 for those of us who have enough intelligence and patience to do our own software downloading and installations. Otherwise, you will be losing your entire following of advanced home and business users of this product.

The problem with not offering an option NOT to update a program automatically falls into three (or more) categories:

(1) Microsoft Updates, especially .NET updates, have a long and frustrating history of failing to install properly, often causing serious system issues, including recurring Blue Screen of Death Reboots on some systems, and reoffered system kernel level driver patches, when the original patches encounter OEM System Driver versions. And some patches wreck third-party business applications. Ripping out and reinstalling .NET Framework can be a lengthy and frustrating operation.

Does PSI 3 Beta override user settings to Notify but Not Download Microsoft Updates? Doing so would be in my view a serious breach of the trust users have put in Secunia up until now.

(2) The same thing can apply to third-party software. Especially Firefox upgrades, which often wreck installed Extensions.

(3) Automatically updating some products, like KC Softwares SUMo, results in default installation options being selected. This in turn installs Potentially Unwanted Programs or "Features" and Toolbars, which can be very difficult to manually reverse. Many of these piggybacking programs and features do not have uninstallers. Even Adobe Reader installs a potentially unwanted Toolbar by default. And don't get me started about Foxit Reader!

So, will there be a Professional Version of PSI 3, with control over the updating process, or will I become a dissatisfied former user of Secunia products? Can the Automatic Updates be fully disabled, resulting in Notifications Only in PSI 3? Where are the vulnerable instances of each program or plugin? Updating does not always remove older traces, resulting in ongoing vulnerabilities.

I cannot recommend PSI 3.0 in its current form to anyone, including several online user forums where I post frequently. If you folks thought there would be fewer tech support issues to resolve with this dumbed-down version of PSI, you are badly mistaken. One automatic PUP installation, or one bad update experience, and the PSI Support Forums will light up with tech support issues!

The dumbing-down of security and backups is summarized with such products as Norton's switch from System Works to Norton 360 a few years ago. Norton lost a lot of home users with that PR disaster. Don't follow this ugly and potentially security-threatening trend. Users who want more control over our PCs, not less, will simply forego security software altogether if there are no longer any Professional or Advanced options in consumer-level products and services. And that definitely will NOT make the Internet a safer place to do business!

For now, I am reverting to PSI 2. Even for Windows 8 Consumer Preview Beta.

Thank you folks for years of successful use of PSI up until now.

--
-- Bob --
Was this reply relevant?
+9
barney_b RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 9th Mar, 2012 19:45
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Dec 2010
Hi Secunia and fellow users,

I installed the version 3 beta last week and came here today to find out what was going on.

Now Its confirmed in my mind that this is a lacking program I will be switching straight back to version 2.

Sad to say that unless there is an advanced feature added to the final release then I will have to advise my friends and family not to upgrade to version 3 when it is fully released.

Thanks for PSI 1&2 they have been great tools, Hope V3 can be better!
Was this reply relevant?
+4
gepexe RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 10th Mar, 2012 11:31
Score: 2
User Since: 12th May 2008
I agree. One button is awfull for professionals =;o))
Where are ... my menues, my options, my lists of software packets, vulnerabilties, end-of-lives,
the decision to update or not ?
regards
Gerhard
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Canon09 RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 10th Mar, 2012 23:37
Score: 3
User Since: 25th Aug 2010
I also came here wondering what the heck was going on with Beta. It's horrible - for all the reasons already stated in posts above mine. We need more settings and controls, and the green icon when everything is up to date.

I'll be going back to the non-beta version as quick as a whistle.

I hope this Beta version is NOT the future look and feel! Ugh!
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Eljo RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 12th Mar, 2012 13:43
Score: -2
User Since: 29th Nov 2008
System Score: 99%
I totally agree with Bob,

3 sucks big time

--
Ms Windows7 32bit \Notebook HP 6720s\1.6Ghz\3GB\CIS 5.x\
Asus Notebook A8\ Win8 64bit\1.9Ghz\8Gb\Cis5.x\
Was this reply relevant?
+0
uces22 RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 12th Mar, 2012 19:36
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Nov 2010
Nothing to add to what has been said previously.
Version 3 is simply unacceptable. I'm not planning to install it.
Original poster had it right: so you want to simplify the interface for basic users? OK, it's right, do it, but offer an "Advanced" button that allows us to see the details and to change default options (like automatic updates, for example.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Mar, 2012 09:51
Hi,

As a brief note I left out before, the problem with the tray icon (ie. it is red after a reboot until after a full scan) is known to us and being treated as a bug.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
throkr. RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 13th Mar, 2012 11:54
Score: 72
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
System Score: 100%
Hi,

I agree with the previous comments & request : the option should be offered to the final user between "basic" and "advanced" mode.
For the time being, I'll certainly stick with latest official version 2.0.0.4003 which works perfectly & offers all the possible controls on what's going on ... ;-)

--
Win 8.1.1 Pro x64

OSS Pro - MBAM Pro - SAS Pro - Secunia PSI (2.0.0.3003)
Mozilla Firefox - Cyberfox (x64) - SRWare Iron

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Legusol RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 18th Mar, 2012 06:12
User Since: 18th Mar 2012
I reformatted my computer this past week and I was in the process of re-installing all of my programs when I notices the PSI3 beta was out so I decided to download it. I must say, that this is the worst update app I have ever dealt with. What a joke. There is no control what so ever and it doesn't even have an advanced option to give users control. I am not sure why Secunia would decide on such a drastic change. What I consider to be a great app has now turned to an app that I will no longer even consider using if forced to move from the latest 2.x build.

As others have stated, the PSI3 beta is good for people who don't want/need the control but I don't want updates just applying when ever. I want the control so that if something breaks, I know were to look.

I hope Secunia listens to its users!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+4
smbrannon RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 18th Mar, 2012 08:39
User Since: 27th Dec 2007
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2012 08:42
I am another who was very disappointed with the major change to the UI and feature reduction, and have gone back to v2.0. I concede that even the "Basic" UI in v2.0 could be daunting for one's 'aunt Sally,' and an even more basic UI, such as v3.0b has, would be welcomed by such users, which I am sure make up a significant percentage of the computer-using community. Indeed, such people are the ones who would benefit the most from PSI. Viewed in this light, the new UI direction can be a good thing. However, I believe it is still over-simplistic. There is still a need to see the list of products being monitored by PSI, and not simply a "make it go" button.

I do hope this major change in UI isn't a precursor to there being a free version and a paid 'Professional' version, the former having the UI we see with v3.0b today, and the latter being an improved version of what v2.0 is currently. Not that I wouldn't mind tossing a few bucks Secunia's way for this product; I just don't wan't to fork out $30/system or some such.

It would have been nice if this beta had been released with a document describing the reduction in features and providing people an idea of the direction PSI is taking. Hopefully all of our hemming and hawing will result in a clarification as to what is exactly going on with v3.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
curiosity RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 18th Mar, 2012 22:28
Score: 7
User Since: 27th Jun 2009
Hi,

like many others I'm really disappointed with Version 3. V2 was a big improvement (running as a service, the automatic updates) but it kept the highlights of V1: the possibility to actually see, what was found and have control, what happens.

Automatic Updates without administrator control are not tolerable.

Sigh, it was such a good product. It just needed some improvement regarding the reliability of the automatic update (especially keeping the original language) and I'd say it was as perfect as real world SW can get.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
rc_primak RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 21st Mar, 2012 09:41
User Since: 9th Sep 2010
I am now ending my first month without PSI on any of my computers. I intend to wait and see is Secunia comes to their senses and offers a PSI version for those who are satisfied with PSI 2 and do not want the PSI 3 simplifications. Since there has been nothing to indicate that Secunia is actually doing anything to answer those who want the advanced features, I have no intentions of using nor recommending PSI to anyone until further notice. So, this is probably my last posting as a member of the Secunia PSI online community.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Leendert Kip PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Member 21st Mar, 2012 09:57
Score: 70
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2012 10:10
Hello @rc_primak. According to your post there was no response from Secunia on this subject. That's not thrue. E. Petersen on March 6th posted a short reply that all issues brought up in the forum will be considered by their decisionmakers and developers. You cannot expect that a decision about a re-development of PSI will be made in a few weeks time. I have 3.0 installed from the beginning and I don't need all the controls of 2.0, so I'm satisfied up to now. But I understand that a lot of people prefer the controls of v.2 and I second that. By the way: why shouldn't you use v. 2.4003 on your pc's? You have the controls you need, and, as far as I know this version is stable because I used it for a long time.

--
PC: JJ Computer Services
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
DDR3 Kingston ValueRam 4GB 1333
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Expert Contributor 21st Mar, 2012 11:02
Score: 2445

Hello LK ,

Did you us/allow the PSI 3.0Beta to "auto-update" your Firefox to version 11.0 ?? The reason I ask is because there seem to be problems concerning the ESR "option" channel (10.0.3) being installed rather than the "regular" Release channel version (11.0) .

I don't want to mess you about , but if you have Ff11.0 loaded , if you run it , does the PSI Beta "auto-update" to 10.0.3 ?? Don't bother if it is a problem for you ; both versions are secure .

This thread is current :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/123...

and I am still waiting for Support to respond there or by email .

Thank you .

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI 3 beta needs an ADVANCED option
Handling Contributor 21st Mar, 2012 11:12
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
@Leendert Kip

U have missed the point completely on what Bob (& many other advanced users) are saying.

There has been no constructive feed back to this Forum by the BETA Project Manager on where Secunia are heading with version 3. This thread is about V3 BETA not dropping back to version 2.0.0.4003 as suggested by U - it may be stable to U but it is riddled with annoying bugs for advanced users who, as described by many on this Forum, oversee & help where possible Beginner class users which V3 is allegedly aimed at.

I personally spent many hours testing V3 within the limitations set by the Project Manager & submitted my 5 page report to Secunia on 2nd March. Having acknowledged receipt I have heard nothing from them since. Part of that report dealt with the lack of communication from Secunia now & in the past.

Another example can be seen here:

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/122...

Is that a dead link too with the suggestions buried?

As a senior Secunia Fan Club Member U can believe anything. Others are more cautious & require detailed answers on many aspects of version V3 before using it on their own PC's, recommending it to others or installing it on their family members PC's many of whom may be aged but want a chance to enjoy all a PC has to offer safely. Serious questions have been asked on V3 & they remain unanswered.

The decision to permanently drop back to version V2 can only be realistically made once Secunia state:

1. The full details on how V3 actually works. The currently idea from Secunia of "Trust us to keep your PC free of vulnerabilities" will not work unless they tell us HOW they are going to achieve 100% success.

2. They are going to fully support V2 which includes fixing the bugs that already exist.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Member 21st Mar, 2012 12:18
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2012 12:22
on 21st Mar, 2012 11:02, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hello LK ,Did you us/allow the PSI 3.0Beta to "auto-update" your Firefox to version 11.0 ?? The reason I ask is because there seem to be problems concerning the ESR "option" channel (10.0.3) being installed rather than the "regular" Release channel version (11.0).

Hi Anthony, no, Firefox wasn't auto-updated to 11.0NL. The moment I saw in the forum a post
that 11.0 was available I manually downloaded the NL version.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Mar, 2012 12:24
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2012 12:29
Hi Maurice, I agree with you that I missed the point that there was no response from the project manager and/or developers. I assumed that when E. Petersen informed us that the comments in the forum are known by the responsible people and that action might be taken in the near future. And yes, my statement that reverting to 2.4003 might be an interiim solution is my personal opinion because I have seen little trouble with this version. So maybe I missed problems but that can happen because I'm not a technical expert.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Mar, 2012 14:11
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2012 14:13
Thanks for your response LK . At the moment , as far as I can tell , if you run the Beta or it does it's weekly scheduled scan , you may get the 10.0.3ESR "update" .

Hopefully , it will ask you first if you want the NL version .

Let us/me know if that occurs .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Mar, 2012 15:06
Last edited on 21st Mar, 2012 15:10
on 21st Mar, 2012 14:11, Anthony Wells wrote:
Thanks for your response LK . At the moment , as far as I can tell , if you run the Beta or it does it's weekly scheduled scan , you may get the 10.0.3ESR "update". Hopefully, it will ask you first if you want the NL version. Let us/me know if that occurs. Take care. Anthony

Hi Anthony. Up to now nothing happened. I run PSI twice a week manually and there was no action for Firefox. Also I switched off automatic update for Firefox. I manually check for updates for all my installed software twice a week because I don't want that automatic updates run when I don't want it.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 21st Mar, 2012 17:25

Thanks , LK .

If I understand correctly , you have :-

1)in your browser's Help->about Firefox a display of version 11.0 in the Release channel : and

2)in Tools->Options->Advanced->Update you have deselected the Automatically Install Updates option ; and

3)when the PSI Beta runs it accepts your 11.0 as secure/up to date or we can (only) guess that is the case ; which is good as far as it goes .

Only support can add further , so let's leave it at that and not clog upo this thread .

Takez care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Mar, 2012 18:24
Hi Anthony, 1) yes, and I see an option to check for updates manually. 2) yes. 3) I really don't know. I do not see any warning about Firefox when PSI scan is running and it's still v. 11NL.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 9
Mozilla Firefox 31NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.9016
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 31NL
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Mar, 2012 20:32
I understand it is only a BETA, but I must agree.

I absolutely need the ability to see what software I have installed, and where the various installations are located on my drives.

Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability