Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Secunia PSI 3 Beta 'updated' Firefox 11 beta to Firefox 3.6.27

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MrWhsprs Secunia PSI 3 Beta 'updated' Firefox 11 beta to Firefox 3.6.27
Member 6th Mar, 2012 21:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Mar, 2012
System Score: N/A
On my system I had two versions of Firefox in separate folders (and using separate profiles). Firefox 3.6.25 was in "\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 3" and Firefox 11 Beta was in the "Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" default folder location.

Secunia PSI 3 Beta indicated that Firefox needed an update, and though I don't recall seeing any detailed info from PSI 3 Beta regarding the folder location or specific program version that it was referring to, since Firefox 11 Beta was current I thought PSI 3 Beta clearly meant to update 3.6.25 to the most current version.

I clicked on the icon and chose English and let it do the update. When it was done it said that the system needed to be restarted. I did so, and after the restart Firefox 11 Beta was gone, replaced by 3.6.27, and 3.6.25 remained. So, PSI left alone the out-of-date 3.6.25 install in the "Mozilla Firefox 3" folder, but 'updated' the 11 beta install in the "Mozilla Firefox" folder with 3.6.27. It certainly would have been preferable for PSI to update the old Firefox 3 install location instead of overwriting the Firefox 11 Beta install location.

I rolled back PSI to 2.0.0.4003, and attempted to undo the messed-up situation with Firefox, but I was in a hurry and long story short, I ended up losing both of my Firefox profiles. At that point I decided to uninstall/reinstall Firefox fresh, create two fresh profiles, and then restore bookmarks and re-install add-ons. At least now I know to stick with PSI 2 and I've been reminded that I need to be more vigilant in backing up.

Anthony Wells RE: Secunia PSI 3 Beta 'updated' Firefox 11 beta to Firefox 3.6.27
Expert Contributor 7th Mar, 2012 00:56
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

What is strange is that the PSI has not previously tracked or dispayed alpha , beta or dev versions of software . Not sure why 3.0 did bad , nor whether having two versions or the default being a Beta caused problems , but I never let any version of the PSI auto-update anything on my system and for that reason will not test 3.0 Beta .

Maybe support will have a comment , tomorrow .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia PSI 3 Beta 'updated' Firefox 11 beta to Firefox 3.6.27
Handling Contributor 12th Mar, 2012 00:34
Score: 11744
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 12th Mar, 2012 00:34
Elevated to the top for Secunia Support response.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Secunia PSI 3 Beta 'updated' Firefox 11 beta to Firefox 3.6.27
Member 12th Mar, 2012 08:29
Hi,

After investigating this problem, I modified our detection rules to avoid this issue.

I don't believe Firefox 11.x beta was being detected at all, rather I think the detected instance of 3.6.x was automatically "updated" and installed itself to the default location for Firefox - Where your instance of Mozilla Firefox 11.x was located.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer