Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Google Chrome still not showing updated

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Google
And, this specific program:
Google Chrome 17.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
jckinnick Google Chrome still not showing updated
Member 8th Mar, 2012 04:10
Ranking: 6
User Since: 21st May, 2010
System Score: N/A
The other thread got locked.

In File Hippo i am still showing that chrome needs updating even though the about says its up to date. I went ahead and downloaded the file and ran it again to see if it would do anything and now my chrome icon isnt showing up it looks like a file instead of the chrome symbol, but chrome seems to be working fine. PSI says 100% and up to date, i am also getting an error now when i try to do a scan with file hippo, i think it has something to do with the way the shortcut icon has now changed.

Post "RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
Member 8th Mar, 2012 09:21
Hi,

Please refer to this item of our FAQ: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
Expert Contributor 8th Mar, 2012 15:28
Score: 2445
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

Hi ,

THe OP locked the"other" thread as is his right , he wasq satisfied .

Not sure why you are messing about with File Hippo for when both the PSI and "About Chrome give you version .66 .

In the locked thread , I gave you what I consider the best order of "procedure" for updating ; running a full installer from somewhere like Hippo is , in my book , a last resort for something like Chrome . Hippo has always had version problems due to the very nature of Canary , Dev Channel , Beta and Stable versions and Chrome's silent update procedure .

If you are still in a mess , uninstall your version and reinstall from the Google site linked by Mogs (other thread) .

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
jckinnick RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
Member 9th Mar, 2012 16:11
Score: 6
User Since: 21st May 2010
Uninstalled and re installed and it fixed it but now chrome doesn't show up in the psi scan or the secure browsing section.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2012 16:28
Last edited on 9th Mar, 2012 16:32
Hi ,

Only the Chrome "Stable" version is tracked and displayed by the PSI ; it was updated yesterday (08/03/2012) to version N# 17.0.963.78 ***

The not displayed Beta went up to #18.0.1025.54 and the Dev Channel is on version N #19.0.1061.1.

Which version do you have ?? Please remember that the PSI can take a little time to register updates and that Support are very busy atm .

Anthony

*** version number edited .

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Mar, 2012 18:03
on 9th Mar, 2012 16:28, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

Only the Chrome "Stable" version is tracked and displayed by the PSI ; it was updated yesterday (08/03/2012) to version N# 17.0.963.78 ***

The not displayed Beta went up to #18.0.1025.54 and the Dev Channel is on version N #19.0.1061.1.

Which version do you have ?? Please remember that the PSI can take a little time to register updates and that Support are very busy atm .

Anthony

*** version number edited .

I have the latest stable version .78. Do you think its just because PSI hasn't updated it yet? If thats it will it automatically show up when i scan again?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2012 21:38

Hi ,

If "About Chrome" tells you it is .78 , then that is what you have . Whether Secunia is late or simply you have not run a PSI full sysyem scan since updating , I cannot say , other than you do not need to do any more installing .

Support do not work weekends , but if your PSI is not displaying correctly next week , come back here and let us know .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogs RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2012 21:57
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
System Score: 100%
@ickinnick

Chrome Stable channel "78" was showing on psi last night after I'd updated.....as Anthony says....have you run a full scan ?

@Anthony

Evening Anthony !!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 9th Mar, 2012 22:57

Bonsoir Mogs ,

Thanks for your update confirmation .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Mar, 2012 16:58
Not sure what you mean by full scan my PSI has only one scan option, i dont see anything that lets you choose otherwise.

I tried to recommend it with " are you missing a program" it says to add psi to my trusted sites which i did but it still will not let me suggest the program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 10th Mar, 2012 23:25
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2012 00:53
@ickinnick

It is possible to scan a program only.....when you click on the + sign alongside a prog and then double click on that row for further info and options.....you'll see the Toolbox, top right; and the first item in there is Re-Scan Program. The full scan tho' is usually found to be more reliable....hence the mention thereof previously.

You've no need to Suggest a program as Chrome Stable 17 is already in the Secunia database....copy of Advisory as follows :-
Vulnerability Report: Google Chrome 17.x
This vulnerability report for Google Chrome 17.x contains a complete overview of all Secunia advisories affecting it. You can use this vulnerability report to ensure that you are aware of all vulnerabilities, both patched and unpatched, affecting this product allowing you to take the necessary precautions.

If you have information about a new or an existing vulnerability in Google Chrome 17.x then you are more than welcome to contact us.

Table of Contents

1. Product Summary Only

2. Secunia Advisory Statistics (All time)
2.1. Statistics for 2012
2.2. Statistics for 2011
2.3. Statistics for 2010
2.4. Statistics for 2009
2.5. Statistics for 2008
2.6. Statistics for 2007
2.7. Statistics for 2006
2.8. Statistics for 2005
2.9. Statistics for 2004
2.10. Statistics for 2003

3. List of Secunia Advisories (All time)
3.1. List for 2012
3.2. List for 2011
3.3. List for 2010
3.4. List for 2009
3.5. List for 2008
3.6. List for 2007
3.7. List for 2006
3.8. List for 2005
3.9. List for 2004
3.10. List for 2003

4. Send Feedback

Vendor, Links, and Unpatched Vulnerabilities

Vendor Google

Product Link View Here (Link to external site)

Affected By 3 Secunia advisories
35 Vulnerabilities

Monitor Product Receive alerts for this product

Unpatched 0% (0 of 3 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
There are no unpatched Secunia advisories affecting this product, when all vendor patches are applied..

Hope it helps........regards.........

Edit.....you might also like to take a look at this tool for Browser Security :-
https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 11th Mar, 2012 18:30
The software you suggested found that java runtime was out of date but secunia is showing it up to date and when i tried the fix it button for the qualys browser check and downloaded the file and tried to install it, it said it is already installed on my computer. Is it possible i still have an old version somewhere too, i though psi would detect that? This wouldn't cause chrome not to show up on PSI would it?

As far as the other thing i cant click on the chrome program in psi if its not showing up.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Mar, 2012 19:16
@ickinnick

Chrome has since been updated yet again, over the weekend, to 17.0.963.79 . As yet I've been unable to download it myself as I've got a slow internet connection until tomorrow.
As stated previously tho', the 78 version has been picked up by psi for the last 2/3 days.
You might like to download the 79 version from here :-
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann... but be prepared to wait for recognition of.
It sounds to me that you may have a corrupt download of Chrome 78......I'd be inclined to remove it, and then download afresh from the link above.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Mar, 2012 19:23
I just downloaded the latest version today and it still didn't show up. The way i usually update chrome is from the about option within chrome.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Mar, 2012 19:44

Hi ,

I suggest you stick with the "About Chrome" update procedure . If you have .79 (you might not/probably do no have Mogs' connection problems) then leave it as it is .

What is the detected instance/installation parh for your JRE problem .

When did you last run a "full system scan with the PSI" ??

You can see the "individual programme scan" option using any programme ; but , as you say , it will not work for Chrome when it is not displayed :))

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Mar, 2012 19:46
@ickinnick

If you click on About Google Chrome....you're now showing 17.0.963.79 there ? I would think that's unlikely to be identified by psi until tomorrow, when Support are in.
Do you always remove the previous/older versions after updating ? Have you removed the "78" ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 11th Mar, 2012 20:00
@Anthony

Hope my input has been of some use......I've gone over my gb allowance for the month....got a connection, but running slow instead of alarm bells !!!
Will leave you to it......regards......

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Websafe RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
Member 11th Mar, 2012 20:07
Score: 79
User Since: 24th May 2009
Hello JCKinnick,

Just downloaded the latest Google Chrome from here:
Link: https://www.google.com/chrome
Installed into a sandbox and ran a full PSI scan.
PSI recognised Chrome as: Google Chrome 17.0.963.79.

Not sure what went wrong on your scan.

Windows XP-home, SP3, 32-bit.
PSI 2.0.0.3003

Websafe.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Expert Contributor 11th Mar, 2012 20:09

To avoid further confusion , I shall stop posting .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Mar, 2012 22:12
on 11th Mar, 2012 19:46, mogs wrote:
@ickinnick

If you click on About Google Chrome....you're now showing 17.0.963.79 there ? I would think that's unlikely to be identified by psi until tomorrow, when Support are in.
Do you always remove the previous/older versions after updating ? Have you removed the "78" ?

Yeah im now showing 79. does it not remove the old version when i install from there? Where can i check to see if i have the old version, before i would look in the file path from psi, but im not sure where to look since its not showing on psi.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 11th Mar, 2012 22:15
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2012 22:16
on 11th Mar, 2012 19:44, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

I suggest you stick with the "About Chrome" update procedure . If you have .79 (you might not/probably do no have Mogs' connection problems) then leave it as it is .

What is the detected instance/installation parh for your JRE problem .

When did you last run a "full system scan with the PSI" ??

You can see the "individual programme scan" option using any programme ; but , as you say , it will not work for Chrome when it is not displayed :))

Anthony

I ran a scan as full soon as i installed the new chrome to see if it showed up.

File checked: C:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npjp2.dll
Installed File Version: 6.0.300.12
Latest File Version: 6.0.310.5
Recommendation: Update to the latest secure version and remove older insecure versions
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 12th Mar, 2012 02:56
@ickinnick

Yeah im now showing 79. does it not remove the old version when i install from there? Where can i check to see if i have the old version, before i would look in the file path from psi, but im not sure where to look since its not showing on psi.

I don't want to cross with Anthony's advice to you ; so what follows is a simple account of my recent actions.
I just downloaded Chrome 17.0.963.79 from the link given earlier. psi detected it almost immediately without having to run a scan. The balloon notification having advised.
I then deleted the older 78 version........as I usually do.....at :-
Start\Computer\C:\"username"\AppData\Local\Google\ Chrome\Application\

In psi Scan Results both versions were showing against Google Chrome 17x.....but only the 17.0.963.79 after scanning.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Mar, 2012 02:35
on 12th Mar, 2012 02:56, mogs wrote:
@ickinnick

I don't want to cross with Anthony's advice to you ; so what follows is a simple account of my recent actions.
I just downloaded Chrome 17.0.963.79 from the link given earlier. psi detected it almost immediately without having to run a scan. The balloon notification having advised.
I then deleted the older 78 version........as I usually do.....at :-
Start\Computer\C:\"username"\AppData\Local\Google\ Chrome\Application\

In psi Scan Results both versions were showing against Google Chrome 17x.....but only the 17.0.963.79 after scanning.

Yeah im showing 79 now under the about on chrome. Not always unless on the rare occasion PSI says to, most of the time i just update by using the about through chrome itself not sure if chrome removes the old version when i do that or not.

Would having the old version cause PSI not to detect chrome at all though? By the way i dont use PSI real time i usually scan once a week when i check to see if there is any programs i didnt update when they originally became available.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 13th Mar, 2012 02:45
In the google chrome file path all i see is 79.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Mar, 2012 01:18
Something else of note is that on File Hippo where it shows the programs file paths Chromes is the only one blank like its hidden or something.

Im hesitant to uninstall and re install chrome because the problem i was having in the other thread, the error i was getting it took me two or three times of uninstalling and reinstalling even google earth along with chrome to get it back up and working. Besides would it be a corrupt download if i got it from the actual chrome website? I am beginning to think that foreign download that some of us downloaded from PSI was a virus.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 14th Mar, 2012 08:30
@ickinnick

It seems more likely that it was a broken/damaged install. If I were you I'd clear out Chrome and start afresh with the link I gave earlier. I had no trouble with it and psi picked it up straight away.
Are you familiar with Revouninstaller ?
It will remove and check for left overs....old pieces of the jig-saw puzzle....choice of levels to Advanced. If you wish I can give you the link to the 1.93 free version. There's plenty more info to read on site.
As you've updated again without psi having detected the 78 version, the error has probably been compounded.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 15th Mar, 2012 03:12
Yeah i have Revo thats what i used the other two times i uinstalled and was having problems reinstalling i also ran a registry fix with ccleaner before reinstalling. I might try int again in the next couple of days and see what happens.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 15th Mar, 2012 08:49
@ickinnick

Do you use the Evidence Remover tool in Revo as well ? Wipe the drive of previously deleted ?
I run it once a week....a lot quicker than the first time used !
Registry scan/ners a touchy subject on the forum....I use one.....but for some they might be considered the "Curse of the Mummies " ! I think it very much depends on how well the disk/volume is kept in general. I defrag/optimize most days and do a boot-time defrag once a week. Do you clear out temp. files/folders etc., before installs ?
Anyrate....hope you have some success next time you try....did you use the Advanced level in Revo ?
Since I've been using Chrome Stable; ( a few weeks )...the update server has been down most times : hence my using the link provided earlier. I used to run the Dev and Canary builds....updates on a daily basis mostly....but I never had the problem of a version not registering itself ( Revo always picked them up ) : tho' of course they were'nt monitored by psi .

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1

adamstuart07

RE: Google Chrome still not showing updated
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Expert Contributor 16th Mar, 2012 16:53

Hi ,

Two points :-

1)Filehippo does not show the file path for my Dev version of Google Chrome either .

2)If you are happy with Chrome being correctly installed in it's default location - can you confirm whether or not your OS is Windows seven 64 bit - then it may be a problem with the PSI ; a reinstall of the PSI might be called for .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Mar, 2012 17:13
on 16th Mar, 2012 16:53, Anthony Wells wrote:
Hi ,

Two points :-

1)Filehippo does not show the file path for my Dev version of Google Chrome either .

2)If you are happy with Chrome being correctly installed in it's default location - can you confirm whether or not your OS is Windows seven 64 bit - then it may be a problem with the PSI ; a reinstall of the PSI might be called for .

Take care

Anthony

2. yes i have 64 bit Windows 7
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Mar, 2012 18:53
on 11th Mar, 2012 19:16, mogs wrote:
@ickinnick

Chrome has since been updated yet again, over the weekend, to 17.0.963.79 . As yet I've been unable to download it myself as I've got a slow internet connection until tomorrow.
As stated previously tho', the 78 version has been picked up by psi for the last 2/3 days.
You might like to download the 79 version from here :-
http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-chann... but be prepared to wait for recognition of.
It sounds to me that you may have a corrupt download of Chrome 78......I'd be inclined to remove it, and then download afresh from the link above.

On a positive note i think i fixed the Java issue apparently it works like PSI you just delete the old file after you find it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Mar, 2012 13:55
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2012 13:57
So i uninstalled reinstalled chrome and it still wouldnt show up until i had to uninstall reinstall PSI. Not sure what caused it but it may have been on PSI's
end. Is it possible that the PSI fix could have been a virus that would cause chrome not to be detected by PSI?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 17th Mar, 2012 16:45
@ickinnick

Are you saying that you've re-installed both Chrome and psi and now 17.0.963.79 is detected by psi ?
All is as it should be ?
What version of psi were you using before ?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Mar, 2012 06:28
on 17th Mar, 2012 16:45, mogs wrote:
@ickinnick

Are you saying that you've re-installed both Chrome and psi and now 17.0.963.79 is detected by psi ?
All is as it should be ?
What version of psi were you using before ?

Yeah everything is hunky dory now.

I first reinstalled chrome like was suggested and still nothing was showing up. It wasn't until i reinstalled psi that it showed up, i was using the latest version of psi.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability