Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: PSI Beta 3.0

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
garykanine PSI Beta 3.0
Member 16th Mar, 2012 16:14
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Mar, 2012
System Score: N/A
Ran Beta 3.0 just this morning, and it found no updates to be made. Being the suspicious type, I then did the Scan Again thing, and then it came up with a hit for both Firefox and Thunderbird updates (both 10.0.3, strangely enough).

The point being, it didn't find the updates when I first clicked on it, but only when I manually did a rescan. About 1 minute between the finish of the first scan and then when I initiated it on my own with the rescan option.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

g

Anthony Wells RE: PSI Beta 3.0
Expert Contributor 16th Mar, 2012 17:35
Score: 2414
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Mar, 2012 17:37
Hi ,

Are you using a Firefox "Release Channel" version or the ESR for organisations version ??

For more information see here :-

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/123...

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
garykanine RE: PSI Beta 3.0
Member 16th Mar, 2012 19:40
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Mar 2012
Using Firefox 10.0.3 ESR.

g
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 16:10

Hi ,

Are you part of an "organisation" that has chosen to use the ESR version of Firefox or has the PSI loaded it for you ??

This is a problem for other users of the Release Channel version 11.0 :((

The PSI 3.0Beta is quite buggy and fortunately your keen eyes spotted one ; it is a Beta and it's lack of settings mean that I will not use it in it's present state .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
garykanine RE: PSI Beta 3.0
Member 19th Mar, 2012 14:00
User Since: 3rd Mar 2012
I'm not a part of any organization - I'm just a senior user. Insofar as how it came to be the Firefox ESR version, I'm not really sure. That's just the last version which was updated using Beta3.0.

Hope this helps.

And, thank you for the compliment! These old eyes needed that, believe me!

Would you recommend reverting to a previous version, which one?

g
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Expert Contributor 19th Mar, 2012 16:25

Hello ,

Thanks for your update . You are not the only person who seems to have been switched to the ESR channel with 10.0.3 rather than the Release channel version 11.0 after using the PSI "auto-update" system ; you cannot deselect it in the 3.0Beta .

Mozilla have just now made available the ESR channel so that only "security" type updates are added in an update . You will probably have noticed that the everyday Release Channel has gome from version 4 to version 10 pretty quickly ; going up to 11.0 is part of that same system and changes which might affect it's use in an organisation can be included without too much hassle . A regular member of this Forum , wr , is still using the 3.6.x platform version last time he was here but that platform will become unsupported fairly soon .At the moment , at least your 10.0.3 is "secure" as in fully patched .

Secunia have not come back to the Forum to say whether they have dealt with the "auto-update" bug , so if you "update" to 11.0 then the PSI Beta may well still try to revert you to 10.0.3 and you cannot stop it . If you do want 11.0 (my personal preference) you will need to reinstall the PSI version 2.x and deselect "auto-update" for Firefox .

If your eyes are as aged as mine , I would suggest the Firefox add-on "NoSuint" which allows differential page and text zoom and can be memorised for each and every website as is your need . I love it :-

https://urandom.ca/nosquint/

Come back if you need more advice .

Take care

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Expert Contributor 19th Mar, 2012 22:08

Hello again ,

I have just come across this article which Mogs has posted in his Cyberclips thread (CClip 84) which gives some more info on the future updating of Firefox by Mozilla . My experience of Google Chrome's silent auto-updating has (to date) been very good and while in principle I would prefer a confirmation box I can accept the process as is ; so I shall let Firefox do the same and see how it goes .

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9225235/Moz...

This will not change the problem of "potential" clashes with the obligatory PSI 3Beta auto-updating of the said browsers .

Hope this is useful .

Anthony

--

Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
piaqt RE: PSI Beta 3.0
Member 26th Mar, 2012 21:01
System Score: 100%
"Simplified"? Try dumbed-down and s-l-o-w. I like to know what's going on under the hood. The new GUI is much less informative. Yucko.

--
--piaqt
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability