Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
And, this specific program:
Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x

This thread has been marked as resolved.
3-northernpike Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery
Member 18th Mar, 2012 02:38
Ranking: 9
User Since: 8th Jan, 2010
System Score: 100%
Hi!
I have an old Pentium 4, using Windows XP Pro with Kaspersky Pure antivirus.
Discovered this "Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x" file when I did a Secunia PSI scan after I had run a full virus scan. I am totally puzzled. I never downloaded this file...I don't know where it came from, or how it got in my system.Even after Googling it, I still don't know what it does. Is this something I can delete/uninstall without worry?
Any help/info would be much appreciated!
Gratefully,
3-norhern pike
PS: I hope I've placed this in the correct thread...if not, please forgive my faux pas.

--
6poundnorthernpike

Post "RE: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery" has been selected as an answer.
mogs RE: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 05:09
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2012 05:14
@3-northernpike

Found the following info here :-
http://www.philipp-winterberg.com/software/free_ra...

Free RAR Extract Frog 4.10
Tool, Freeware, Windows
InstallFreeRARExtractFrog.exe, 3.0MB

Free RAR Extract Frog is a skinable extraction tool for RAR-archives that supports spanned archives as well as the decompression of password protected files. It comes with short instructions in over 50 languages. Start the extraction of a RAR file by drag 'n' drop, double click or shell integrated context menu. To speed the decompression process up, Free RAR Extract Frog has the option to define a default output folder or a default password or both. Change the program's skin by simply dropping a JPG image on the image of the frog above the short instructions.

If you click on the + sign alongside the entry in Scan Results,in psi, and then double click again, it will bring up the panel with the Toolbox (top right ) and Troubleshoot Report....follow the instructions to complete........that information may help someone to better advise.

Hope it helps...........regards.............

--
Was this reply relevant?
+1
mogs RE: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery
Expert Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 11:16
Score: 2265
User Since: 22nd Apr 2009
@3-northernpike

Further to the above post........................
I havn't been able to find the program Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x in the Secunia database....in which case if you do decide to keep it, you may wish to Suggest a Program for monitoring.

Regards

--
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Maurice Joyce RE: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 12:58
Score: 11792
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
System Score: N/A
The reason Secunia have found that programme is because it is on their database here:

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/40091/

Clicking the Product Link within the Advisory takes U to here:

http://www.philipp-winterberg.com/software/free_ra...

There is a double whammy with this programme in that it comes with the Ask Toolbar.

If U do not want either go to Control Panel>Add/remove & uninstall them. Now reboot & run a full PSI scan. Both programmes should now be removed from the scan results.

From a security aspect what should be slightly worrying to U is how those programmes became installed if U did not authorise them. In this instance U were lucky in that the programme installed has no known vulnerabilities.

Only your own investigations can determine that, for example:

a. Do U use third party scaper updaters rather than the vendor supplied links?
b. Does a programme vendor U use direct U to a third party update link? If CNet that could be an issue unless they have ceased their bad habit of bundling updates.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
3-northernpike RE: Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x mystery
Member 18th Mar, 2012 15:34
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
@ MOGS and
@ Maurice Joyce

Thank you both for your professional input here.
I'm just an average computer user...so I don't know what a "skinable extraction tool" is , and I don't know what "RAR-archives" are, or "spanned archives", or what the benefits or risks of decompressing password protected files would be...in other words, there is no reason why I would want or download this file....and since I'm the only person who uses this computer, and I didn't willingly download it...this has gotten me a bit puzzled and alarmed.
I was curious as to when this file was downloaded so checked other programs I have that list that kind of info.
The file does not appear in Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner or in my Control Panel/add/remove files...only in Secunia scan results.
I did another scan this morning, and it is still showing in Secunia PSI.
For some reason, I was not able to copy and paste, as instructed to do in the troubleshoot report proceedure in Secunia. I tried using mouse and also using command keys...no results, so the following is what I saw from last night's scan:

---START---

Program Name:
Free RAR Extract Frog 4.x

Security State:
Patched

Downlink:

Instances Found:
c:\WINDOWS\system 32\unrar.dll,version:4.0.100.60

Last System Scan(localtime):
17. Mar 2012, 21:17

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional,

---END---

From a security standpoint, I am a bit troubled...especially since the words "password protected files" seem to be associated with this RAR mystery file.
I always make it a point to use a vendor-supplied link, or a download from the vendors website...I don't know what a third-party scaper updater is. I block third-party cookies as they come up.
As to a third-party update link...I have installed and uninstalled some Chrome apps....Could this file be a residual from one of those downloads and uninstalls...if so, it should have been picked up by the Revo Uninstaller software?
The only thing suspicious I can think of is that I clicked on a website last night...which actually caused me to run the virus scan...because, once I clicked on the site, a JAVA applet page opened up and started running on its own. I couldn't make it stop, and kept getting a security certificate signature alert , which wouldn't let me out of the site, so I closed the browser....Even then, I kept getting the alert pop-up, so I ran the virus scan, and then the Secunia scan, with the subsequent discovery of this file.
It looks like, from your input, that it is safe to remove this file...that it is not something required by the WINDOWS operating system?
So, I await your instruction as to what to do next.
Gratefully,
3-northern pike

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 16:27
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2012 17:34
To give a complete reply have U:

a. Got a programme called WinRAR or RARzilla installed?

b. Do U ever use third party vendors to install programmes - CNet? Softpedia? Filehippo or like programmes?

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 18th Mar, 2012 17:53
@ Maurice Joyce

Unless the files are hidden, as far as I can tell, I have neither of those programs installed.

I do not use third-party vendors...as a rule...to install programs...although I have installed K-Lite Codec Pack ( media player) from the ninite.com site...is that a third-party vendor?

3-northern pike

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 17:57
Thank U for the update. Looks like U run a very tight ship. From what U have stated I am not sure there is too much to worry about in that it appears some programme has installed that file to assist in someway when using it. It is not a Windows file & U are correct in that it can be safely deleted as follows:

1. Open PSI>Scan results.

2. Against the programme marked as vulnerable is a + sign to the left of it.

3. Click that & it will reveal DETECTED INSTANCES.

4. Below that are two yellow folders. Click the one WITHOUT a red dot.

5. That will open Windows Explorer & U will be able to see the vulnerable file.
c:\WINDOWS\system 32\unrar.dll,version:4.0.100.60

6. Right click & select delete.

7. Carry out a full PSI scan & all should be in order.

Your other points.

Revo Uninstaller

If U are referring to the free (trial) version the answer is no. It has an advanced option whereby it digs a little deeper into an uninstall & offers possible files that users may consider deleting. It is a misconception that this version COMPLETELY clears any uninstall not covered by the vendor uninstaller which is used by Revo in the first instance.

To do that U require the Pro version that has many additional tools including these:

Extended scanning for leftovers - more advanced scanning algorithms
Real-Time monitoring of system changes - during install of programs
Forced Uninstall - remove remnants of already uninstalled programs
Command line program uninstall support

More details are here:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_fr...

Registry Cleaners

The Revo Uninstaller FAQ sums up the use of cleaners nicely.

"Why should I use Revo Uninstaller when I have a registry cleaner and it fixes all errors in my Windows Registry?"

There are tens of thousands of applications that leave a lot of unused data such as registry entries, files and folders in your computer. Not all registry keys left in your computer are errors, and the third party registry cleaners cannot detect them. Leftover registry keys in combination with leftover files makes the registry cleaner's job impossible. Revo Uninstaller Pro helps you to remove the leftover registry keys, files and folders after uninstalling an application.

Posting a Troubleshoot Report

I note U had a little issue posting a report to the Forum. This method should be used.

From the DASHBOARD page click on SCAN RESULTS.

1. This will list all your programmes with a + to the left of each programme.
2. Click the + sign next to the item that U want help with.
3. This will reveal the path under DETECTED INSTANCES.
4. Below DETECTED INSTANCES you will see this You can double click this row for additional information & options>double click it>a box will appear>look to the RIGHT & U will see TROUBLESHOOT REPORT in BLUE writing under the heading TOOLBOX> click TroubleShoot Report & it will reveal some information in a box>highlight the information revealed from ---START--- to ---END--- & copy it (CTRL+C) then post it to the Forum (CTRL+V)

Sorry - the post is a bit long but hope it helps U.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 18th Mar, 2012 18:22
Thank you Maurice for the CCleaner tip...I do only have the freebie at this time.

As to the steps required to delete this file...I'm in Secunia, have opened the un-red-dotted folder, which opened up a systems window showing that the system32 folder is open...there is a blue highlighted folder called "DRVSTORE", which contains blue highlighted folders...Is this the file I need to delete??

As to the cut-and-paste issue with the troubleshooting report....I had done ALL of that...that's how I was able to see what I copied by keyboard in the above reply. I was not being allowed to cut and paste either by mouse or by command keys, in ordeer to place in the thread window.

Thank you for helping me and for your tips...await your reply!

3-northern pike

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 18:36
NO - Do not delete ANY folderrs in the left hand pane.

Click on the system32 folder above DRVSTORE (in blue) - that will populate many files in the RIGHT hand pane.

In there U will see the UNRAR file (U may need to scroll to find it) - that is what U delete.

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 18th Mar, 2012 19:16
Got It!!! That file is gone!
Reran Secunia, and everything is fine again!

Thank you Maurice!

Want to thank you for your kind compliment in one of your replies about running a tight ship...but I have to send that right back at you...I can only do it because of the wonderful software...like Secunia PSI...and the patient, knowledgeable, consciencious, and enthusiastic people like you who are willing to help folks like me...and for free!!

Gratefully and with Best Regards,
3-northern pike

--
6poundnorthernpike
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Mar, 2012 19:30
Pleased to see U are all fixed up again.

On that basis, I will lock this thread for U sometime tomorrow unless U post back asking for it to be left open.

This will protect your mail box from possible update emails from Forum "tag on" posts

You can of course lock your own threads yourself. Just click the ACCEPT button in the post of the helper who offered U the best solution/advice to solve your problem.

Secunia Support can always reopen threads by applying by email to: support@secunia.com

--
Maurice

Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit OS
HP Intel Pentium i7
IE 11 for Windows 7 SP1
16GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+2

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 VARS
MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

© 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer