Vulnerabilities
Programs
Open Discussions
My Threads
Create Thread
Statistics
About

Forum Thread: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
TimmiAndi Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65
Member 30th Mar, 2012 11:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 17th Jul, 2009
System Score: 100%

A scan said Chrome 17.0.963.65 is outdated so I downloaded and installed v18.0.1025.142 (which had Dutch or German titles in the dialogue boxes).

V18 is on the list of OK programs but 17 was still shown as end of life so I deleted the file in the folder using the icon in the scan results.

A rescan showed V17 is in

C:\Users\Tim (Administrator)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applic ation\chrome.exe, version 17.0.963.65

but it's not actually there - HELP

Tim
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, SP1,
IE9

--
Tim

Windows 7 Professional, 64 Bit; V 6.1
2010 Office Suite
IE9

Post "RE: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2012 16:05
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 30th Mar, 2012 16:09
Hello Tim ,

You say "rescan" ; normally you need to run a full system scan and not an "individual programme rescan" .

Which did you use ??

Is this V 17 location :-

C:\Users\Tim (Administrator)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applic ation\chrome.exe, version 17.0.963.65

the Chrome browser "default" location where you also find V 18 ??

EDIT:were/are the "Germanic (probably Norwegian)" languages in the PSI installer dialogue or in the your now installed V 18 ??

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
TimmiAndi RE: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65
Member 30th Mar, 2012 18:08
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Anthony

Yes, I've done several full scans after closing Chrome and also after restarting my PC.

The folder does contain v18, and also contained v17 before deletion so I assume it's the default folder.

It was just the Chrome Installer which had the foreign language; Chrome runs fine.

Tim

--
Tim

2010 Office Suite
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Anthony Wells RE: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65
Expert Contributor 30th Mar, 2012 23:57
Score: 2463
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
System Score: N/A

Hello Tim ,

Some points worth bearing in mind :-

1)When you get an Insecure/EOL display for Chrome in the PSI , first off , open Chrome and go to/click the Spanner Icon (top rhs) and select "About Google Chrome" ; this will auto check for updates and either tell you you are up to date or IF the auto silent update has not yet done it's job , will update you straightaway .

2)The old version is "technically" not available to the bad guys and the "silent updater" always leaves the "old" version behind . When the PSI picks it up an "Insecure/EOL" then you can clean up as you did ; some people clean up after every update .

3)if you feel you want to "reinstall" then go to the Google website and download from there . This "should" remove the "old" version when installing the new and will usually pick pick the default installation folder . I , personally , would leave the PSI "solution" or a third party site installer :eg: FileHippo , as a very last resort when updating any Browser software . I do not know why your install of V 18 did not remove V 17 for you .

4)The "Norwegian Blue" installer from Secunia was a known "version" bug (confusing but not dangerous) and was supposed to have been fixed a while ago . You might wish to email support@secunia.com and tell them it is still alive :)) They will not be back on the PSI until Monday next (CET) .

I use XP 32 bit and do not know if your location is default or whether it should be in something like a ..\ProgramFiles(x86)\.. folder on a 64 bit system (which some people report) .

Not to worry , as long as your browser is working , I would leave it as it is for now .

Don't know why you cannot find V 17 (that you already removed) in the folder that the PSI is pointing to nor why it is still pointing , esÍcially if V 18 is there. This could be a PSI "bug" , one simple thing to do would be to do a reinstall of the PSI and run another full scan .

It's getting late for me , so why not reinstall the PSI when you have time and I will check back tomorrow .

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+2
TimmiAndi RE: Can't Get Rid of Google Chrome 17.0.963.65
Member 1st Apr, 2012 14:38
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Anthony

I hadn't thought of reinstalling PSI but v17 still showed afterwards.

After what you said about it not being available to anyone I'm going to leave it but I'll let secunia know.

Thanks

Tim

--
Tim

2010 Office Suite
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.

Products Solutions Customers Partner Resources Company

Corporate
Vulnerability Intelligence Manager (VIM)
Corporate Software Inspector (CSI)
Consumer
Personal Software Inspector (PSI)
Online Software Inspector (OSI)
 Industry
Compliance
Technology
Integration
 Customers
Testimonials
 MSSP
Technology Partners
References
 Reports
Webinars
Events
 About us
Careers
Memberships
Newsroom

Secunia is a member of FIRST Secunia is a member of EDUcause Secunia is a member of The Open Group Secunia is a member of FS-ISAC

Secunia © 2002-2014 Secunia ApS - Rued Langgaards Vej 8, 4th floor, DK-2300 Copenhagen, Denmark - +45 7020 5144
Terms & Conditions and Copyright - Privacy - Report Vulnerability - Disclaimer
follow Secunia on Facebook follow Secunia on Twitter follow Secunia on LinkedIn follow Secunia on YouTube follow Secunia Xing follow Secunias RSS feed follow Secunia on Google+